Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:29 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

iPhone Trade-In Program Officially Launching Today at UK Retail Stores

After officially launching the U.S. version of the program in late August, Apple has officially confirmed that it is launching its iPhone trade-in program today at its UK retail stores, reports Pocket-lint.
Quote:
"iPhones hold great value. So, Apple Retail Stores in the UK are launching a new program to assist customers who wish to bring in their previous-generation iPhone for reuse or recycling," an Apple spokesperson has said. "In addition to helping support the environment, customers will be able to receive a credit for their returned phone that they can use toward the purchase of a new iPhone."
Under the program, users can receive a gift card in exchange for their older devices, although the gift card must immediately be used toward the purchase of a new iPhone.

Customers may also get quotes from Apple for a similar trade-in program online that launched nearly two years ago, with the option of shipping a device for recycling available as well. In the United States, the online and in-store programs are run by different third-party companies, and the same may be true in the UK, meaning that consumers may want to check both programs to determine any differences in trade-in value. Separate trade-in services may also offer greater value, although Apple's in-store program offers the convenience of an immediate no-hassle credit against the purchase of a new device.

Article Link: iPhone Trade-In Program Officially Launching Today at UK Retail Stores
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:44 AM   #2
Freida
macrumors 6502a

you can get almost twice as much from other companies
Freida is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:45 AM   #3
tann
macrumors 65816

Up to 175, that's nothing if they expect iPhone 5's to be traded in too.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:01 AM   #4
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
Why do I always get the feeling consumers are getting shafted by Apple? I used to feel a certain amount of pride using Apple products; they were a joy, especially off the back of coming from a Windows environment.

Maybe I've fallen out-of-love, maybe my eyes are finally opened, or maybe my empty bank balance is telling me something ... everything's just priced too damn high, often unreasonably so. They don't need to price everything at such a premium, and this trade-in shows just what their mentality is like. 175 for a 64GB iPhone 5? They have to be joking.

I can't see the value anymore, and as much as I hate to admit it, iOS 7 is sloppy. Really sloppy. Sloppy animations, sloppy performance, and Siri is far too unreliable (I can't take any requests at the moment) from a 600 product. I don't feel like I'm using a premium product, I feel like I'm using a self-indulgent GUI from Jony Ive's nutsack.
keysofanxiety is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:03 AM   #5
acedout
macrumors 6502

Or sell your 4S on eBay for around 260 (which is what I got for mine).
acedout is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:11 AM   #6
everything-i
macrumors 6502a

That is just wrong, offering 175 even for an iPhone 4s is just ripping people off who don't know any better because that is what is going on here. Very poor.
everything-i is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:13 AM   #7
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

So I've got a 32gb iPhone 5 and after a year, it's not worth over 175 to Apple?

Then why do they expect us to pay so much in the first place?

EDIT:

I just went to official website and entered all the details, and was offered 230.
JaySoul is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:15 AM   #8
TheRainKing
macrumors 6502a

Offering people 175 for something they could get about 400 for on eBay.

Not even cash generator are THAT bad.
TheRainKing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 10:33 AM   #9
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
Under the program, users can receive a gift card in exchange for their older devices, although the gift card must immediately be used toward the purchase of a new iPhone.
That's a discount, not a trade-in

A gift card can be spent at your own leisure.

Either way, this is a crap deal. CEX still give you 200 for a 4S 16GB, and Apple are capping this at 175, presumably for a near mint, top of the range iPhone 5.

Edit: Ran the same specs through the Apple online page and it offers 150 if its unlocked and in mint condition with the packaging. In comparison the CEX one was locked, and B grade. Terrible deal from Apple here.

I also tried my rMBP, which is a year old and I paid 1500 for it. According to Apple it's worth 800, despite the fact they sell on ebay for 1300+ all the time.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:06 AM   #10
Nightarchaon
macrumors 65816

so my iPhone 5 16gb black 110, selling it on ebay as its boxed and like new, 300 -350
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:16 AM   #11
dark knight
macrumors regular

wellll, to get my iPhone 5 i sold my mint 4 for 100 to a friend.

If you can't be bothered with the online selling process and don't want it sitting in a drawer, surely its nice to at least have the option? If you can be bothered then going that route is wide open. People must have stacks of old iPods at home....

i like the return-it-to-store direction
dark knight is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:17 AM   #12
Jsameds
macrumors 6502a

Insert "I can get more on eBay" comment here.

Of course you can, but you have to photograph it, list it, sell it, post it, pay your fees, withdraw your money and pray you don't get scammed.

Point is this is easier. Of course you'll get less, convenience is a commodity.
Jsameds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:22 AM   #13
apfeljonas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsameds View Post

Of course you can, but you have to photograph it, list it, sell it, post it, pay your fees, withdraw your money and pray you don't get scammed.

You can also get far more from almost every trade in service...usually it's 2x as much as Apple is offering.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by keysofanxiety View Post
Why do I always get the feeling consumers are getting shafted by Apple? I used to feel a certain amount of pride using Apple products; they were a joy, especially off the back of coming from a Windows environment.

Maybe I've fallen out-of-love, maybe my eyes are finally opened, or maybe my empty bank balance is telling me something ... everything's just priced too damn high, often unreasonably so. They don't need to price everything at such a premium, and this trade-in shows just what their mentality is like. 175 for a 64GB iPhone 5? They have to be joking.

I can't see the value anymore, and as much as I hate to admit it, iOS 7 is sloppy. Really sloppy. Sloppy animations, sloppy performance, and Siri is far too unreliable (I can't take any requests at the moment) from a 600 product. I don't feel like I'm using a premium product, I feel like I'm using a self-indulgent GUI from Jony Ive's nutsack.
I agree with everything, except the UI of iOS 7 part.

Siri has definitely gotten worse in responsiveness, and Apple is charging extremely high prices for iPhones in the first place and now doesn't pay much when you sell back.

Most people will just use third party trade-in sites anyways.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:33 AM   #14
Luap
macrumors 65816

It's laughable!! I don't need a new iPhone, but I was going to get one for my mother. Her old iPhone 3G is, well, old..
So I filled in the details to see what it's worth as a trade in..

3.75!! lol
(Thats about $5 to you Merkins)

Ok, it's getting on a bit. But it works! 3.75?? Really?? I'd rather blend it for that money.
Luap is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:55 AM   #15
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
So I've got a 32gb iPhone 5 and after a year, it's not worth over 175 to Apple?

Then why do they expect us to pay so much in the first place?

EDIT:

I just went to official website and entered all the details, and was offered 230.
If you did that on the "Reuse and Recycling" page, the it's not the same thing this article is talking about, it's a service they've been running for a while. I can't find this new service on the Apple website?

----------

Quote:

I have to walk past CEX to get to the Apple store, so they are more convenient and still manage to give me a better deal.
Mike Oxard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:59 AM   #16
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to j_maddison Send a message via MSN to j_maddison Send a message via Yahoo to j_maddison Send a message via Skype™ to j_maddison
Just used the Apple UK webstore, and an iPhone 4S 16GB in excellent condition with power cord is 150. iPhone 5S 16GB, same condition, is 220

Not great, but I've no idea where this 175 price point mentioned in the article has come from.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:02 PM   #17
Mike Oxard
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by j_maddison View Post
Just used the Apple UK webstore, and an iPhone 4S 16GB in excellent condition with power cord is 150. iPhone 5S 16GB, same condition, is 220

Not great, but I've no idea where this 175 price point mentioned in the article has come from.
LIke I mentioned above I think the "Reuse and Recycling" program is a different beast, to this "offer", it's been around for a while.

I think you have to take your phone into the store to get a valuation, though not sure of that. Where did MR get the image in the article?
Mike Oxard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:03 PM   #18
j_maddison
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to j_maddison Send a message via MSN to j_maddison Send a message via Yahoo to j_maddison Send a message via Skype™ to j_maddison
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxard View Post
LIke I mentioned above I think the "Reuse and Recycling" program is a different beast, to this "offer", it's been around for a while.

I think you have to take your phone into the store to get a valuation, though not sure of that. Where did MR get the image in the article?
I hadn't hit refresh, so missed your response.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:40 PM   #19
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:

You can get more ANYWHERE not just eBay. Take it to your local CEX or Cash Converter - they're everywhere these days and will offer cash and the option of store credit. Not exactly any harder than going to an Apple shop, which are few and far between.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap View Post
It's laughable!! I don't need a new iPhone, but I was going to get one for my mother. Her old iPhone 3G is, well, old..

3.75!! lol

Ok, it's getting on a bit. But it works! 3.75?? Really?? I'd rather blend it for that money.
That's just insulting. I don't know how the hell they dare offer such a pitiful amount. It's worth at least 50, and that's if its battered beyond belief, and locked down.
rmwebs is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 12:41 PM   #20
kmpowell
macrumors member

To fund my 64GB 5S I put my old 32GB 4 on ebay for 185BIN. It sold in less than 3hrs!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111182289510

The equivalent offers from Apple/Mazuma/etc were between 65-100. Sure Apple is hassle free, but money talks when you're laying out 709 for a 5S!
kmpowell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:15 PM   #21
Mwongozi
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oxard View Post
Where did MR get the image in the article?
It's on the retail store pages, for example this one:

http://www.apple.com/uk/retail/theoracle/

----------

You can compare all the places that will give you cash for old phones at:
http://mobilevaluer.com

For example, you can get 257.15 for a 16GB iPhone 5. (At the time of writing this.)
Mwongozi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:25 PM   #22
WBRacing
macrumors regular

Quote:

You think it is easier to get to a store than spend 5 minutes listing an auction? Even posting no longer requires people to go {shudder} outside. As for praying for not being scammed, you are protected on that front too.

Now, if you had said:

Quote:
Of course you can, but if you are lazy, this is easier. Of course you'll get less, convenience is a commodity.
that would have been fair comment.
WBRacing is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 01:33 PM   #23
Lostanddamned
macrumors 6502a

Asked about my iPhone 5, 64GB, black, very good condition.

Old Oct 14, 2013, 04:49 PM   #24
weckart
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmwebs View Post
I also tried my rMBP, which is a year old and I paid 1500 for it. According to Apple it's worth 800, despite the fact they sell on ebay for 1300+ all the time.
Tsk. You know that Apple's markup is a minimum 30-40% on all products. Including trade-ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luap View Post

3.75!! lol

Apple will pay you 40 if you didn't upgrade to iOS4.
weckart is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2013, 05:44 PM   #25
Apple fanboy
macrumors 603

Anybody ever part exchanged their old car? This is exactly the same. The garage offer you less than its worth because they will want to sell it for a profit. You trade in because it's less hassle than selling privately or even keeping 2 cars road legal for a few weeks (tax, insurance etc). You all know the garage never give you the best deal.
Apple are doing the same. You don't have to take the offer. It's their for people who don't want to (or can't be bothered) to use other means. Take it or leave it. I know what I'll be doing when the iPhone 6 comes out.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion