Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I followed the how-to linked to Apple's support from a few threads on here, but I've noticed most are about iTunes 10 and older. I have a MBA, MBP (2008, can't upgrade to Mtn Lion), and Mac Mini that I would like to all connect to one, central library using iTunes 11.

While following the instructions, I created a directory called iTunes Media on my NAS. I then went into "Library" and consolidated. This took my 70 gigs of music and a couple movies and copied them to my NAS. I then deleted my iTunes Library on the Mini (which was my main Library beforehand). I closed, and reopened the iTunes app, which then found the NAS iTunes Media Library.

I then went to the MBA and tried changing the Preferences > Advanced > Library location to the same. Closed, reopened, and it didn't find it. I then tried the OPTiON + double click iTunes icon, and was prompted to point to a library. However this won't accept selecting the NAS iTunes Media folder. It says, "No Library found." Here's the irony, I open again the MBA iTunes, and see my shared "Mac Mini Library" (which is on the NAS) and it loads the whole library just fine. Click the NAS name under Shared, and the same: it loads and plays just fine.

In every case on the MBA, I can't get the library to recognize it's own local library as the one on the NAS, and I double checked the preferences/advanced are identical between the Mini and MBA ( /Volumes/Public/iTunes Media ).

What am I missing? I spent about 20 minutes on Apple's tech support, since I still have about 2 months left on my MBA's phone support, but he couldn't think of anything else to try.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
I never did this with iTunes 11, or a NAS. But I did do it with a drobo connected to my Mac Mini server. This then served my library to two MBPs. If I remember correctly, you can only access the library 1 computer at a time. If you have 2 macs connected to the same library at the same time it can cause corruptions (as both could be trying to modify the library at the same time). I am assuming the Mini is the parent device in your set-up. You may need to close itunes on the Mini for the MBA to correctly connect to the library.

Have you tried creating an alias of the NAS library on the MBA in what would be the regular library location (User/Music/iTunes)? I don't know why you are having the problem you have, but try using an alias, it may be a usable workaround.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
I never did this with iTunes 11, or a NAS. But I did do it with a drobo connected to my Mac Mini server. This then served my library to two MBPs. If I remember correctly, you can only access the library 1 computer at a time. If you have 2 macs connected to the same library at the same time it can cause corruptions (as both could be trying to modify the library at the same time). I am assuming the Mini is the parent device in your set-up. You may need to close itunes on the Mini for the MBA to correctly connect to the library.

Have you tried creating an alias of the NAS library on the MBA in what would be the regular library location (User/Music/iTunes)? I don't know why you are having the problem you have, but try using an alias, it may be a usable workaround.

You know, I thought of that. Since a library is always updating (e.g. playing music on two computers at the same time, the play counts are changing on two songs, etc). However, I thought that the Apple Tech should have said something...then again, this is probably such a rare config it's probably not in their common "go to" tech manuals.

No, haven't tried an alias. Sounds like an idea I'll try and see what happens.

Along the same lines of library issues, I noticed inconsistencies creeping in. Originally, the "Shared" Mac Mini library playing on the MBA had the same total # of songs, GB, days of play as the Mini. Now they're different, even though its the same library. Maybe this really hasn't been tested thoroughly, but I'm guessing at this point.

Attonine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 15, 2006
Kent. UK
All I can say is welcome to the world of wishing Apple would produce a dedicated iTunes server! There are ways to share a library between multiple computers, even multiple accounts on the same Mac, but none are perfect or as simple as having a dedicated, Apple supported, iTunes Server!

With regard to the new issues you are having, no idea!

Try the alias, it may help, may not though!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.