Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
Huntn
macrumors 604

Cool Upgrade to Mountain Lion?

My guess this subject has been covered several times around here. If there is a good link, please direct me...

I usually keep my Mac about 3 years and then sell them for a new one. I'm currently using a MBP (see signature). It came with Snow Leopard and I am considering upgrading it to Mountain Lion.

My question is when I buy an OS upgrade from the App store and apply it to my MBP, when the time comes to sell, can I leave Mountain Lion on it and person who buys has a way to reinstall Mountain Lion from scratch? Or until they buy it for themselves, would they have to revert back to Snow Leopard on the original install disk?

Thanks!
Huntn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:39 AM   #2
kensic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntn View Post
My guess this subject has been covered several times around here. If there is a good link, please direct me...

I usually keep my Mac about 3 years and then sell them for a new one. I'm currently using a MBP (see signature). It came with Snow Leopard and I am considering upgrading it to Mountain Lion.

My question is when I buy an OS upgrade from the App store and apply it to my MBP, when the time comes to sell, can I leave Mountain Lion on it and person who buys has a way to reinstall Mountain Lion from scratch? Or until they buy it for themselves, would they have to revert back to Snow Leopard on the original install disk?

Thanks!
After you install ML, the computer creates a recovery image of ML. So there's no way the new buyer can go back to Snow Leopard *unless they use the SL disc*

the new buyer can just boot from the recovery image and reinstall ML.
kensic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:45 AM   #3
Huntn
macrumors 604

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensic View Post
After you install ML, the computer creates a recovery image of ML. So there's no way the new buyer can go back to Snow Leopard *unless they use the SL disc*

Thanks for the fast reply. So can I assume that the answer is to burn the recovery image to a DVD and give that to the new owner? However, I'd want to be sure they are getting a clean copy, not something with my data on it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 12:08 PM   #4
Weaselboy
macrumors G5

Quote:
If the new owner does a command-r boot to recovery to reinstall the OS, they are going to be asked for your AppleID (that you used to purchase from the App Store), and of course they won't have that and will be stuck.

You could make them a USB key installer and give that to them if they ever need it. Although this does violate Apple's EULA.
Weaselboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:35 PM   #5
Huntn
macrumors 604

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weaselboy View Post
If the new owner does a command-r boot to recovery to reinstall the OS, they are going to be asked for your AppleID (that you used to purchase from the App Store), and of course they won't have that and will be stuck.

You could make them a USB key installer and give that to them if they ever need it. Although this does violate Apple's EULA.
No, I'll just have to sell it with Snow Leopard and they'll have to spend the $20 for ML. Thanks.
Huntn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:05 PM   #6
Huntn
macrumors 604

Cool

After purchasing and downloading Mountain Lion, I assume it's a file that can be burned to DVD for future reinstalls?

I read a blurb online by a customer who said that updating to Mountain Lion from Snow Leopard seriously impacted battery charge time on a MBP. Any confirmation on that?
Thanks!

Last edited by Huntn; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:15 PM.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Spink10
macrumors 68020

Quote:
After purchasing and downloading Mountain Lion, I assume it's a file that can be burned to DVD for future reinstalls?
Thanks!
Yes or flash drive
Spink10 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:24 PM   #8
MagnusVonMagnum
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensic View Post

There's a very simple way. You use CCC to make a bootable clone of your Snow Leopard setup on an external drive before you upgrade. If you don't like Mountain Lion, boot from the external drive and restore it onto your internal drive using CCC once again. It's what I plan on doing with my 2008 Macbook Pro.

My problem is that so far I cannot download Mountain Lion. I successfully purchased it from the App Store from that computer, but when I go to download, it gets to 10.3 MB and then resets back to zero and starts again and then resets again always at 10.3 MB downloaded and eventually gives up with an error questioning my Internet connection (the same one that downloaded Angry Birds and other games from the same App Store on the same computer earlier). I tried Safe Mode. I tried cleaning my /var/apple.com caches and plists in the local Library. NOTHING makes any difference so far (console logs showed a few things popping up that I corrected, but apparently they were unrelated as it gives no errors except an initial data check complaint and then nothing. It just keeps resetting the download. I'll have to contact Apple and if they can do nothing, request a refund.

Edit: Somehow my DNS alternate settings got wiped. Apparently, the local ISP was somehow screwing it up. I added 3rd party DNS servers (like Google's and OpenDNS) and it now appears to be downloading correctly. Amazing how regular sites can load but Apple's update got zonked (and ONLY the Mountain Lion download; other things downloaded fine).

Last edited by MagnusVonMagnum; Feb 4, 2013 at 08:37 PM.
MagnusVonMagnum is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion