Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

An Apple spokesperson spoke to The Next Web about the new Apple TV model disclosed in FCC filings yesterday.

The company explained that the changes are strictly internal, and there won't be any new features or other changes. The Next Web is also reporting that the new Apple TV will use Apple's A5X processor from the third-generation iPad, and an upgraded Broadcom BCM4334 wireless chip, as was reported last night. The external size of the device will also remain the same.

newappletv1.jpg
"We sometimes make component changes which require an updated model number for regulatory approval," an Apple spokesperson told TNW. "The component changes we made don't affect product features and Apple TV customers will continue to have the same great user experience."
The new Apple TV will not be marketed as a new version, and it appears the only way to distinguish the old from the new is via the model number.

Article Link: Apple TV Refresh to Be Stealth Update, Will Not Affect Product Features

rbrian

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
Will an upgraded wireless chip enable it to stay connected to Home Sharing for more than 5 minutes without disconnecting (while two iPhones, an iPad, two Macs, and Windows PC stay connected in the same place)?

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
Interesting that Apple wouldn't want to at least put a "upated" banner on them or something. Why not take the nearly free marketing where you can on something you spent some engineering time on?

barnaby117

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Bluetooth Keyboard Support is Telling

At the moment, this doesn't offer much more than easy typing in search fields. Doesn't it seem like a version of Safari for Apple TV has to be on the way?

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
Will an upgraded wireless chip enable it to stay connected to Home Sharing for more than 5 minutes without disconnecting (while two iPhones, an iPad, two Macs, and Windows PC stay connected in the same place)?

*Like Thumb turns blue

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
Then iOS 7 better be spectacular...There's so much you could do with the Apple TV, and Apple has just sat on it for years.

1member1

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2012
2013 starts weird for apple :eek: looks like there is a bigger plan than we all expect.
first the iPad 4 (Q4 2012) and now this.

Malte.

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Sweden
I can't believe that apple dont see the mega-huge potential in apple tv...:confused:
Give it some apps for gods sake!

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London

Odd not have any issues with my ATV2 or 3 and home sharing. Connection stays put 24/7

prowlmedia

Suspended
Jan 26, 2010
London
I can't believe that apple dont see the mega-huge potential in apple tv...:confused:
Give it some apps for gods sake!

I reckon that will come in the next townhall meeting... iOS7 preview etc.

Although technically it does have apps via iPad and iPhone airplay mirroring. I am surprised there are not more apps taking advantage of that. The whole dual screen thing can be awesome.

diamornte

macrumors 6502
Apr 27, 2009
It's sad how the rumors on this site are more exciting than the final products, but I guess we should get used to Apple's lack of innovation with all their evolutionary updates.

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Interesting that Apple wouldn't want to at least put a "upated" banner on them or something. Why not take the nearly free marketing where you can on something you spent some engineering time on?

Because if they put an "updated" banner on it, hordes of internet complainers will spill out onto the net and complain that there's no new features.

So really, a stealth update is fine.

bitWrangler

macrumors member
Nov 19, 2007
Dimensions?

Wait, so this update says that the dimensions will be the same, but yet the dimensions shown are smaller than the current ATV? So what's up with that?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Can someone explain to me just exactly what you do with a wireless keyboard on the un-jailbroken Apple TV other than input your email address or search ?

It just seems like a lot to go through for Apple. A wireless keyboard is kind of useless unless there are apps on it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.