Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
Is there anyone here that knows if i can upgrade a 970 1.8 ghz G5 imac to a 970 MP, mabey underclocking the MP?

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
You can't put two CPUs in a single CPU system. As far as dual core CPUs in single CPU systems go, I have no idea whether it fits, but most likely they would run underclocked because the bus speed is slower on the single core models.

1 cpu should fit, like upgrading an i3 to i7.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
Everymac said:
Is the CPU on the Power Mac G5 upgradable? How is it mounted?

Unfortunately, no. The processor, or processors, in the Power Macintosh G5 models cannot be upgraded.

The processors in all models are mounted on a custom daughtercard with a 300-pin connector. Although this daughtercard does not contain the ROM, it appears that the processor is controlled by Apple ASICs (Application-Specific Integrated Circuits), and consequently it is not feasible to upgrade the processor.
http://www.everymac.com/systems/app...ermac-g5-processor-upgrade-pci-pcix-pcie.html

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
Is there anyone here that knows if i can upgrade a 970 1.8 ghz G5 imac to a 970 MP, mabey underclocking the MP?

Sure. But you need to upgrade logic board, PSU, casing, RAM and graphics card. ;) :p

Now seriously: no. U3 does not support MPs.

Not mean to be rude, but can't you do a minimum research before asking irrational questions? Even Wikipedia will tell you the answer, it requires only basic understanding how computers work.

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

I respect your ambitions and dreaming big, but for someone who hopes to sell custom PPC computers, you have a surprisingly poor understanding of even basic concepts in computers and electrical engineering. I don't want to say your questions are stupid, but they betray a total lack of even the most trivial knowledge on the subject. For instance, even i3 and i7 are nothing more than branding terms; you need to consider the generation and sockets involved (2011, 1155, 1156, etc), as an i5-750 cannot be swapped for an i5-3570K without upgrading the motherboard.

If this is something you're interested in, I strongly recommend you go ahead and build your own PC. It'll take a few hours your first go around, but you'll gain a fundamental understanding of how things work (or at least plug in). Next, I urge you to take some kind of E&M course if you haven't yet (MIT OCW is very good, but many universities offer free materials) as well as if you're up for it, signing up free 6.00 (Intro to Programming in Python) class at MIT's EdX (I took 6.00 as an undergrad and it was great, though it was in lecture format, but it should be fundamentally the same in terms of content).

----------

Also, I still want to you know sekret h4x for getting 4700 on Geekbench.

rabidz7

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 24, 2012
Ohio
I respect your ambitions and dreaming big, but for someone who hopes to sell custom PPC computers, you have a surprisingly poor understanding of even basic concepts in computers and electrical engineering. I don't want to say your questions are stupid, but they betray a total lack of even the most trivial knowledge on the subject. For instance, even i3 and i7 are nothing more than branding terms; you need to consider the generation and sockets involved (2011, 1155, 1156, etc), as an i5-750 cannot be swapped for an i5-3570K without upgrading the motherboard.

If this is something you're interested in, I strongly recommend you go ahead and build your own PC. It'll take a few hours your first go around, but you'll gain a fundamental understanding of how things work (or at least plug in). Next, I urge you to take some kind of E&M course if you haven't yet (MIT OCW is very good, but many universities offer free materials) as well as if you're up for it, signing up free 6.00 (Intro to Programming in Python) class at MIT's EdX (I took 6.00 as an undergrad and it was great, though it was in lecture format, but it should be fundamentally the same in terms of content).

----------

Also, I still want to you know sekret h4x for getting 4700 on Geekbench.

An AMD 8150 can be upgraded to 8350. In fact ive done it on a AMD customac.

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012

Yes, in some cases it can be done. Why on earth would the fact that you can swap out AMD chips in the same line on DIY PCs mean you can do the same with an iMac chip that wasn't meant to be upgraded in the first place. Just because X can be done doesn't mean that Y can.

You still haven't told us how you are getting a 4700 on Geekbench (or how many days it takes ML to boot).

ybz90

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2009

And all you've done is illustrate yet again your total lack of knowledge on sockets and architectures like I've say above. Both of those FX processors are on the same socket and generation, which, as MisterKeeks points out, has no bearing or relationship to any other processor such as the G5 chips. Please read some Wikipedia at least to educate yourself.

drorpheus

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2010
You can change cpus on the following models.

Dual 2.5. (June 2004)
Dual 2.3. (Early 2005)
Dual. 2.7. (Early 2005)

All three models use the unlocked logicboard that auto changes the FSB according to the cpu speed. I've done this many times, for instance dual 2.5 has 1.25Ghz FSB, plug in dual 2.7 on the same 2.5 logicboard and the FSB adjusts to 1.35Ghz that the 2.7's run at, plug the 2.3's in and it'll drop to 1.15Ghz.

As for the dualcore (Late 2005) Im almost positive the 2.0 & 2.3's board auto adjusts, but the quad needs a 2nd socket that the single cpu dualcore boards lack.

ihuman:D

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2012
Ireland
You can change cpus on the following models.

Dual 2.5. (June 2004)
Dual 2.3. (Early 2005)
Dual. 2.7. (Early 2005)

All three models use the unlocked logicboard that auto changes the FSB according to the cpu speed. I've done this many times, for instance dual 2.5 has 1.25Ghz FSB, plug in dual 2.7 on the same 2.5 logicboard and the FSB adjusts to 1.35Ghz that the 2.7's run at, plug the 2.3's in and it'll drop to 1.15Ghz.

As for the dualcore (Late 2005) Im almost positive the 2.0 & 2.3's board auto adjusts, but the quad needs a 2nd socket that the single cpu dualcore boards lack.

Those are PMG5s and not an iMac G5. And, please, don't encourage him!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.