Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Hi everyone I just want to share my experience with my iMacs.
First one had really bad fan rattleing
Second one had extremely bad bleed and yellow tint
The third one had a bad fan again
Took it to the apple store to have just the fan replace becauSe I didn't want to have a bad screen again since on this one the screen was good. Guess what happened while they tired to replace the fan ???

They effin broke the screen! Awesome f me righ ? Idk what to do anymore with this crap I need a machine as soon as possible. This is the crappiest thing I've ever had to deal with. UGH! Just thought I'd share this with you guys

Last edited:

dazed

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
Was it the new one where everything is glued together or the older ones where screen was held on with magnets?

----------

I'm assuming he will get one. What with all the threads about returning Apple products, it seems that people are looking for any defect that they can find and returning products because of it.

Maybe newer Apple products have more defects?? Just a thought......

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I'm assuming he will get one. What with all the threads about returning Apple products, it seems that people are looking for any defect that they can find and returning products because of it.

I didn't return it because I just wanted to. Ok I want to move on with this crap. ALL the iMacs I've had been having major issues ok. I'm not looking for anything it's just the way it's been. Their quality control Has gone down since they are trying to get as many machines out as they can this crappiest thing Ive had to deal with and I don't want to go through it. It's illogical to me why people are thinking that I just want to go through this for the sake of it. I work hard to buy this REALLY HARD I'm not gonna let it slide

----------

Ask for a replacement iMac?

A forth one ?? What are the chances that one will be good ? 1 in 100? At least is seems that way

MisterKeeks

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2012
Maybe newer Apple products have more defects?? Just a thought......

Not really. All of the following are from before 2008:
iPod Nano- screen cracks/scratches
TiBook- paint coming off
iMac G5/White Intel- Bad caps
iMac G5/White Intel- host of GPU/screen issues
iMac G5- cooling system issues
PowerBook G4- second RAM slot failing
Power Mac G5- Liquid cooling system leaks
MacBook Pro- 8600m gt (GPU) solder failing
iBook G3 Dual USB- GPU solder failing

WizardHunt

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2007
Las Vegas, Nevada USA
I didn't return it because I just wanted to. Ok I want to move on with this crap. ALL the iMacs I've had been having major issues ok. I'm not looking for anything it's just the way it's been. Their quality control Has gone down since they are trying to get as many machines out as they can this crappiest thing Ive had to deal with and I don't want to go through it. It's illogical to me why people are thinking that I just want to go through this for the sake of it. I work hard to buy this REALLY HARD I'm not gonna let it slide

----------

A forth one ?? What are the chances that one will be good ? 1 in 100? At least is seems that way

But how long did you wait for the first one? Will you go to the bottom of the list when you order your replacement or do they put you on a higher priority?

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
But how long did you wait for the first one? Will you go to the bottom of the list when you order your replacement or do they put you on a higher priority?

2.5 weeks. It's just unnnaceptable I don't want to wait anymore. I've gone through 3 bAd iMacs already. Alright is not that simple eventually people get sick and tired of the same re occurring issues.

Baklava

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2010
Germany
Reminds me of a very old white MacBook of mine. Had to return it three times during warranty (Topcase / HD / Battery).

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
yeh my biggest concern is getting a hard drive or fan replaced without them damaging it. I bet they don't even lay the iMac on a towel just straight on a desk probably giving a few scuff marks. Jam it open with a mini crow bar leaving a few dents and maybe some side glass chips replace it and put it back together without securing everything properly so you will get rattles and creaks. I wish I could just do it myself while Apple watches so I don't break warranty! haha

They come so beautifully made (99% of the time) because the chinese workers are masters at their craft (repetition). If only I could get the same workers to repair it instead of careless know it alls.

----------

2.5 weeks. It's just unnnaceptable I don't want to wait anymore. I've gone through 3 bAd iMacs already. Alright is not that simple eventually people get sick and tired of the same re occurring issues.

I went through 1 bad mac and it almost got me switching sides. After 3 i would give Apple the finger lol

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

Fan rattling typically means something like bad bearings, assuming it's not hitting something. I can understand not wanting to accept that. The other was probably subjective, but most people would be bothered if they really notice a tint and backlight bleed. His concerns sound completely valid.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Oh yeah, your computer isn't all right and that makes you the "unluckiest person ever." :rolleyes:

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Oh edry. ;(

That just stinks. Well, if it makes you feel better your next iMac will probably be just fine, so take a deep breath.

Got any pics of the damage? :D

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Oh edry. ;(

That just stinks. Well, if it makes you feel better your next iMac will probably be just fine, so take a deep breath.

Got any pics of the damage? :D

No they still have the iMac with them. Luckily ( not really) they have the same model in stock for me they installed my old ram on it. I said I would only accept it if it has no issues, so i will run some tests while I'm there image retention, screen bleed (yes I'm even going to bring a blanket so I can put the machine under it because lights in the apple store are damm too bright) noisy fan, and cosmetic imperfections. On the other hand they are still keeping my old iMac with a new screen on it in case that the new that they are giving me has any issues and I hope that screen is not messed up. But judging how things have been with me I bet 100 bucks that they are both going to be bad because that's the way the cookie crumbles.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Boy with that kind of attitude I'm sure there's a Dell out there with your name on it. :D

Seriously, keep priorities in check. It's the best way to deal with these things. Plus, you'll get another one really fast. So quit worrying!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
Boy with that kind of attitude I'm sure there's a Dell out there with your name on it. :D

Seriously, keep priorities in check. It's the best way to deal with these things. Plus, you'll get another one really fast. So quit worrying!

You have no idea how much I've contemplated switching. I just hate windows and ugly looking machines. I love apples design so much. It the only thing keeping me wanting another one. I think you'd be as frustrated as I am if you were going throught the same.

crows

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2012
so they actually called you up and said they broke the screen? wow what did they offer to do? and how did they even break it? just unbelievable...

lali

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2007
Fan rattling typically means something like bad bearings, assuming it's not hitting something. I can understand not wanting to accept that. The other was probably subjective, but most people would be bothered if they really notice a tint and backlight bleed. His concerns sound completely valid.

I am of the same opinion as thekev, and edry, wish you the best resolution of this situation

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
so they actually called you up and said they broke the screen? wow what did they offer to do? and how did they even break it? just unbelievable...

Yeah they called me and said "we broke the screen on the process of switching the fan" the rest is explained on comment #14. :( yeah this is how crappy my experience has been.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
Oh yeah, your computer isn't all right and that makes you the "unluckiest person ever." :rolleyes:

yeah Jessica is the most unluckiest person ever because she is an ***** apparently :p hehe

----------

You have no idea how much I've contemplated switching. I just hate windows and ugly looking machines. I love apples design so much. It the only thing keeping me wanting another one. I think you'd be as frustrated as I am if you were going throught the same.

I feel your pain. I hate myself for even considering another PC. Too ugly = less optimistic mind = less creative in my work = less productive - I am a graphic designer by the way. OS X and Windows, need I say more?

You're just going to have to accept that this crap happened and soon enough you will get a flawless machine. I am very lucky receiving a flawless 2012 iMac first time. I was really expecting yellowing or light bleed and 1 or 2 dead pixels with some fan rattling and maybe a scuff mark but everything is perfect. I am crossing my fingers for your 4th time lucky mate!

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
yeah Jessica is the most unluckiest person ever because she is an ***** apparently :p hehe

----------

I feel your pain. I hate myself for even considering another PC. Too ugly = less optimistic mind = less creative in my work = less productive - I am a graphic designer by the way. OS X and Windows, need I say more?

You're just going to have to accept that this crap happened and soon enough you will get a flawless machine. I am very lucky receiving a flawless 2012 iMac first time. I was really expecting yellowing or light bleed and 1 or 2 dead pixels with some fan rattling and maybe a scuff mark but everything is perfect. I am crossing my fingers for your 4th time lucky mate!

Thank you Sir I appreciate your support it really means a lot

BigMac25

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2009

Jessica has a valid point... it's just a computer for crying out loud! Yes, I feel the OP's frustration and I would be upset if that happened to me... but the unluckiest person ever? Oh please... try living in poverty with no food, water, and shelter in a third world country...then I might believe you :)

edry.hilario

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010

Jessica has a valid point... it's just a computer for crying out loud! Yes, I feel the OP's frustration and I would be upset if that happened to me... but the unluckiest person ever? Oh please... try living in poverty with no food, water, and shelter in a third world country...then I might believe you :)

When I meant unluckiest person ever I was clearly referring to the iMac and my issues with them not my entire life.

large farva

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2013
Melbourne, FL
Wow. It never ceases to amaze me how many people can't pick up on sarcasm... Do you really believe that this girl thinks she is the "unluckiest person in the world" because of these circumstances? Get real. Quit unloading on the girl, she's frustrated, and used a bit of sarcasm. Who cares.

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
People need to quit the, "omg imagine being without food and water."

You can say that to ANYONE, at any point, about ANYTHING! I'm sure I'm guilty of saying such things, but let's be honest - this is a MAC FORUM. Where people talk about, praise, AND complain about MACS!

So give edry a break. It sucks that he's not got a 100% working system, but he will. Mark my words he will! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.