Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cam493

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 20, 2010
I've installed USB Overdrive in hopes of getting my wireless mouse to perform similar to how it is in Windows. What are some good settings I could use, or any tips to make it perform like Windows?

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I've installed USB Overdrive in hopes of getting my wireless mouse to perform similar to how it is in Windows. What are some good settings I could use, or any tips to make it perform like Windows?

I'm not sure what you are asking for here. The reason I use a Mac is so that things perform better than they would in Windows. ESPECIALLY the mouse. I should add that the Windows 7 load we have at work is crippled by IT nonsense but it is an absolute pain to use. I look forward to sitting down at a Mac either with a bluetooth mouse or with the Trackpad on my Macbook Pro. But even without the damage our IT knuckleheads do, I find mouse acceleration to be outlandishly unintuitive. How does it know I want it to accelerate? I almost always miss what I'm aiming for. Mouse acceleration is one of the first things I switch off if I have to sit in front of Windows for any length of time.

What is it that isn't working for you? I must admit that when I first switched off my BT mouse and tried using my trackpad, I was unsure what to do about stuff like moving the cursor across all 3000+ pixels of my two monitors. Then I found I could click with one finger, then use another finger to keep dragging. Nice. Then I found out about all the multi-finger gestures that just make sense and just work. I haven't turned on my bluetooth mouse more than a handful of times since getting my Macbook Pro. Well I turned it on tonight so I could make this screenshot for you because the mouse setup preferences pane is disabled when you don't have a mouse. :eek:

Try (slightly) tweaking tracking speed and scrolling speed and see if that gives you what you are looking for. If you have a newer MB with the trackpad, try switching off the mouse. I find that the only time I really need a mouse is for applications like photoshop. Perhaps this will work for you as well.

I never thought I'd recommend an Apple trackpad but now that I've used one on my MBP, I can wholeheartedly recommend one. If you have a desktop model like a Mac mini or iMac, pick up an Apple trackpad. There's no harm having a mouse around for occasional use but once you try using the trackpad, I wouldn't be surprised if you like it better than the mouse.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 10.11.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-01-30 at 10.11.41 PM.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 106
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.