Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

s.horsfield

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 3, 2011
New Zealand
I've read a lot online about knockoff magsafe cables but the only part I need replaced (due to international Macbook) would be the "duck head" and I found one online for $5 (http://www.trademe.co.nz/computers/apple/other/auction-557869763.htm). Obviously the brick and cable would have some special sauce inside (that's why the knockoff's suck) but would a prong have the same issue? I think (seeing as it's a just a prong) it's probably fine (coupled with a genuine Apple magsafe brick/cable)

Last edited:

marcoity

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Seattle
As far as i know MBA purchased in US store/online will only support the US/US style power outlets. Regarding macmall it is a legit store, i personally have bought a 13in MBP 2 iPad mini's & 4th gen ipad from them with out any problem. Regarding the warranty if your talking about applecare then i'd think it would be valid worldwide(ask macmall directly, they have live chat support).

zacharydz

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2006
California
Yes, that solution will work. I have used Macbooks bought in North America and just swapped out the prong and it worked fine in Europe. Like you, I would be weary of a knock-off power brick, but I've never had an issue with replacing the prongs.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.