Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:56 PM   #1
CFoss
macrumors 6502

How do I make an .iso of a Windows 7 DVD?

I'm trying to install Windows 7 on the MacBook Air. I have a superdrive, an additional computer with Windows 7 & optical drive on it, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make an .iso image file of the DVD. What program should I use? Thanks in advanced.
CFoss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 07:59 PM   #2
balamw

You can do it with Disk Utility

http://www.examiner.com/article/mac-...g-disk-utility

Or just get Burn OS X http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/Pages/English/home.html to lead you through the process.

B
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:03 PM   #3
ericrwalker
Banned

You could download the iso file here. All version of windows are available to download. It's the product key that is protected.

Here is the link to all Windows 7 ISO files.

http://www.mydigitallife.info/downlo...ownload-links/
ericrwalker is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:13 PM   #4
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
You could download the iso file here. All version of windows are available to download. It's the product key that is protected.
That too! Note also that you don't have to enter the product key for 30 days. As long as the product key and ISO you downloaded match.

B
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:17 PM   #5
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
That too! Note also that you don't have to enter the product key for 30 days. As long as the product key and ISO you downloaded match.

B
It may be faster to rip the DVD to an iso depending on Internet speed anyway. It is nice that there is the option to download though, in case someone loses or breaks their disc.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:20 PM   #6
balamw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericrwalker View Post
It may be faster to rip the DVD to an iso depending on Internet speed anyway. It is nice that there is the option to download though, in case someone loses or breaks their disc.
Agreed. It's a bit of a shame they went another way with Windows 8, the 30 day no product key was mighty useful for things like trying out a new VM.

B
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:26 PM   #7
ericrwalker
Banned

Quote:
Agreed. It's a bit of a shame they went another way with Windows 8, the 30 day no product key was mighty useful for things like trying out a new VM.

B

Didn't know they did away with it, I had the whole product activation with windows in the first place. With all MS products as a matter of fact. I am not a fan of windows 8 either, MS has a trend of a good OS followed by crap, followed by something good again. I am starting to think they do it on purpose to encourage you to upgrade. If you bought a computer with the crap OS you'll buy the next version.
ericrwalker is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:31 PM   #8
Quad5Ny
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

B
It does suck that Microsoft did away with the 30 day activation grace period but its not all bad, there is still a 90 day Developer trial thats good for VirtualBox and whatnot. - http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/eval.../jj554510.aspx
Quad5Ny is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:37 PM   #9
jsuaggie
macrumors newbie

You can do this using Terminal and Disk Utility on your mac. The steps are:

Copy the contents of Windows DVD to a folder on Desktop named Windows7

Open Terminal

Change to Windows7 Folder using: cd ~/Desktop/Windows7

The command on the next line will create and ISO named Win_Install on the your desktop:

hdiutil makehybrid -o ~/Desktop/Win_Install.iso -iso -udf -udf-version 1.02 -udf-volume-name Win_Install -iso-volume-name Win_Install -eltorito-boot ./boot/etfsboot.com -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 8 ~/Desktop/Windows7/
jsuaggie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9, 2013, 02:11 AM   #10
jedics
macrumors newbie

thanks for the no brainer instructions

worked instantly with way less reading than some of the other solutions
jedics is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac