Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CFoss

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 26, 2011
I'm trying to install Windows 7 on the MacBook Air. I have a superdrive, an additional computer with Windows 7 & optical drive on it, and I cannot for the life of me figure out how to make an .iso image file of the DVD. What program should I use? Thanks in advanced.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You could download the iso file here. All version of windows are available to download. It's the product key that is protected.

That too! Note also that you don't have to enter the product key for 30 days. As long as the product key and ISO you downloaded match.

B

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
That too! Note also that you don't have to enter the product key for 30 days. As long as the product key and ISO you downloaded match.

B

It may be faster to rip the DVD to an iso depending on Internet speed anyway. It is nice that there is the option to download though, in case someone loses or breaks their disc.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
It may be faster to rip the DVD to an iso depending on Internet speed anyway. It is nice that there is the option to download though, in case someone loses or breaks their disc.

Agreed. It's a bit of a shame they went another way with Windows 8, the 30 day no product key was mighty useful for things like trying out a new VM.

B

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
Agreed. It's a bit of a shame they went another way with Windows 8, the 30 day no product key was mighty useful for things like trying out a new VM.

B

Didn't know they did away with it, I had the whole product activation with windows in the first place. With all MS products as a matter of fact. I am not a fan of windows 8 either, MS has a trend of a good OS followed by crap, followed by something good again. I am starting to think they do it on purpose to encourage you to upgrade. If you bought a computer with the crap OS you'll buy the next version.

jsuaggie

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2013
You can do this using Terminal and Disk Utility on your mac. The steps are:

Copy the contents of Windows DVD to a folder on Desktop named Windows7

Open Terminal

Change to Windows7 Folder using: cd ~/Desktop/Windows7

The command on the next line will create and ISO named Win_Install on the your desktop:

hdiutil makehybrid -o ~/Desktop/Win_Install.iso -iso -udf -udf-version 1.02 -udf-volume-name Win_Install -iso-volume-name Win_Install -eltorito-boot ./boot/etfsboot.com -no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 8 ~/Desktop/Windows7/

jedics

macrumors member
Feb 28, 2011
thanks for the no brainer instructions

worked instantly with way less reading than some of the other solutions :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.