Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Violet1337
macrumors member

Web pages

When loading web pages on a computer, does the time at which it is completely loaded depend on the internet connection, the computer's specs or both?
Old Jan 30, 2013, 08:58 PM   #2
simsaladimbamba

It depends mostly on the internet connection, a bit on the the local network speed you have to connect to the router (if the speed is lower than the actual internet connection, which is rarely the case) and with some pages, those big pages with lots of useless elements like Flash ads and such (Failblog for example), the computer's specs.
simsaladimbamba is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2013, 10:06 PM   #3
Violet1337
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
It depends mostly on the internet connection, a bit on the the local network speed you have to connect to the router (if the speed is lower than the actual internet connection, which is rarely the case) and with some pages, those big pages with lots of useless elements like Flash ads and such (Failblog for example), the computer's specs.
Ohhh, thank you for the clarification!
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:39 AM   #4
faqsmx
macrumors newbie

Internet speed could be delayed if there is people downloading software while you surfing the internet.

But mainly the speed is defined by your provider, usually local networks are at least 10mb in speed, which if for sure your internet provider is not giving you that speed (but in his local network only, like the cable companies).

if your computer is old, then, try to get at least 2gb memory and a decent hard drive.

Clean your cache and uninstall any add-on in your browser, this will help a lot!! too.
faqsmx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 02:24 AM   #5
seveej
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by simsaladimbamba View Post
Just another addition to this (from the fringes of the internet):
In some corners of the world, you might have excruciatingly slow web page loading times even though your computer might be up to speed and your internet connection would be (at least in name) speedy.

The structure of many modern web pages is that the content (HTML, pictures, ads, trackers etc.) is distributed, meaning that they are not all on the same server and may in fact be spread all over.
For instance when I load the web pages of the local daily (server farm only 20 mms away), I am loading a lot of data from asia and north america.
Although the bulk of the data (in bytes) comes from close by, in terms of different connections, most are overseas...

So, depending on what the respective bandwidths and latencies of these overseas connections are the process of loading a "simple" page may be anything but simple.

HTH,
seveej is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:12 AM   #6
Violet1337
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faqsmx View Post
Internet speed could be delayed if there is people downloading software while you surfing the internet.

But mainly the speed is defined by your provider, usually local networks are at least 10mb in speed, which if for sure your internet provider is not giving you that speed (but in his local network only, like the cable companies).

if your computer is old, then, try to get at least 2gb memory and a decent hard drive.

Clean your cache and uninstall any add-on in your browser, this will help a lot!! too.
Yeah but usually it's only my brother and I who are using the internet :P

The laptop which I currently have has additional RAM chips added to it, so it's got 2GB RAM which was once thought to be a lot but now almost seems like nothing, whereas the hard drive is 80GB HDD which is half split into C Drive and the other half in D Drive, which is very inconvenient but I've managed to adapt to that now :P

Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate your time

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by seveej View Post
Just another addition to this (from the fringes of the internet):
In some corners of the world, you might have excruciatingly slow web page loading times even though your computer might be up to speed and your internet connection would be (at least in name) speedy.

The structure of many modern web pages is that the content (HTML, pictures, ads, trackers etc.) is distributed, meaning that they are not all on the same server and may in fact be spread all over.
For instance when I load the web pages of the local daily (server farm only 20 mms away), I am loading a lot of data from asia and north america.
Although the bulk of the data (in bytes) comes from close by, in terms of different connections, most are overseas...

So, depending on what the respective bandwidths and latencies of these overseas connections are the process of loading a "simple" page may be anything but simple.

HTH,
Oooo, yes, good point, Sir. Thank you for the information and I'll be sure to avoid all websites which don't contain ".au" in there address ;P (sarcasm) YOU'LL NEVER STAPH MEEEEE! XD

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air