Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

faqsmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
USA
Hello!

I'm looking for some help. hoping for a good Samaritan to help me out with some advice.

Check this out: I have a Mac book Pro A1278 13'. The hard drive crashed, can't be accessible anymore so I bought another HD, kind of the same, but without the logo apple on it... has the S-ATA HD be compatible with mac?

My MBP has this hd installed: Momentus 5400.6 500Gb PN: 9KAG34-041 with a Apple logo close to the bar code.

And the one I got, hasn't the MAC logo on it... has to?

-- When I put my OS setup disk, if the old HD is installed, I am able to see it on the Hard Drive Utility, but when I install the new one or any other SATA HD, like for example a 250Gb Sata HD, it just doesn't even recognize that there is a Hard Drive.

I do not understand what could be wrong, been googling and seems like any SATA HD 2.5" should work on my mac, but, I can only see the old HD.

By the way: after I saw it wasn't being recognized on my mac, I got the new hard drive and I partition it in another MAC book air using a USB SATA adapter and I was able to access it, mount it, copy a file and unmount from the OS. So the new HD is working great. The old one, can't be erase, partition or formatted.

any help? Thanks in advance.

PD. I am attaching a couple of pics with my two hard drives.

Attachments

• old-hd-mbp.jpg
    old-hd-mbp.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 179
  • new-mbp-hd.jpg
    new-mbp-hd.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 146

faqsmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
USA
Wao, no answers for me!! so sad.

well, for those that might help... I found that my new hard drive is completely compatible with my MAC, here:

http://www.seagate.com/internal-hard-drives/laptop-hard-drives/momentus-laptop/?sku=ST9500325AS

But I wonder, if I need to do something in the MBP Bios, like in the PCS, that something is possible to change... any ideas of why my new hard drive doesn't appear available on my computer? I installed a different one, SATA 250Gb and as well, nothing, doesn't appear.

HELP!!! please.

Binomio

macrumors member
Apr 20, 2012
Your Mac should be able to recognize the drive right away. The Apple logo has nothing to do with this, infact Apple is installing that same drive on new cMBPs.

Based on the facts you have provided I can tell the Hard drive cable is bad and not the HDD. The 13' Hard drive flex cable has a high failure caused by the bottom cover putting pressure over the bend on the optical drive.

Try with a new cable, they're really inexpensive.

Hope that helps.

faqsmx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 30, 2013
USA
I just find out that this could be the problem.

I am buying a cable for my computer, then I will let you know, but I think that's the major problem, thanks!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.