Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 01:42 AM   #1
aoitsukinosuke
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Why can't I have multiple iMessage IDs on my iPhone?

I have a Mini, iPhone4 and an iPad2 and a big iMessage problem in 2 parts.

Here is my iMessage set-up;

Mini - Receiving @ Yahoo based Apple ID.
iPad - Receiving @ Yahoo based Apple ID.
iPhone - Receiving @ Gmail based Apple ID + my cell number.

When I try to add my Yahoo based ID to iMessages on my iPhone, it doesn't allow me saying that this account is already in use.

Apparently, iMessage allows only 1 Apple ID per device. Since my Yahoo based ID is already on iPad, I can't get those messages on my phone.

Then, I try to enter my AOL address in my iPad's iMessage, it gives me the same warning. But, I don't have this 3rd address dedicated to any device.

Can somebody give a hand?
aoitsukinosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:07 AM   #2
ggmissmolly
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lexington, KY
I don't have that problem
ggmissmolly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:15 AM   #3
aoitsukinosuke
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggmissmolly View Post
I don't have that problem
Can you please elaborate your setup?
aoitsukinosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:47 AM   #4
Gav2k
macrumors 601
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Why are you trying to use a different email address?
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 04:57 AM   #5
aoitsukinosuke
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Why are you trying to use a different email address?
Not different actually, additional.

Simple.

Mini is naturally in my office where my assistant has access to it, so I just do my business messaging with it. iPad is the same as Mini except my travels. So both must be strictly business oriented.

But my iPhone is with me wherever I go, so I do my personals with it and plus want to receive all other messages with it.

Sometimes I start a string from the office and step out. People naturally just hit reply and I can't get access to those with my current set-up.
aoitsukinosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:05 AM   #6
Gav2k
macrumors 601
 
Gav2k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Gotcha. No you can't do what your after you'd have to remove the 'business' email from your iPhone to achieve that
Gav2k is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:07 AM   #7
sammich
macrumors 601
 
sammich's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Sarcasmville.
I don't think you can use more than one true iMessage account per device. Atm, I have my main email with 4 alias' and my phone number set to receive iMessages. These all work because none of those emails are registered to another, separate iMessage account.

Now, when I try to add say, my mum's iMessage account, it won't (didn't) work because it's already attached to a device that isn't grouped with my main Apple ID.

At the top of the iMessage settings, there is your Apple ID. My guess it that should be the same across all the devices you want to have unified messaging.
__________________
Official MR IRC
Look at me, I'm own a bunch of things and everyone must know about every single one.
sammich is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:13 AM   #8
aoitsukinosuke
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gav2k View Post
Gotcha. No you can't do what your after you'd have to remove the 'business' email from your iPhone to achieve that
That's where I am at the moment.
Hoped someone might have a workaround, but I guess I'm shooting for the stars.

Thank you.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammich View Post
I don't think you can use more than one true iMessage account per device. Atm, I have my main email with 4 alias' and my phone number set to receive iMessages. These all work because none of those emails are registered to another, separate iMessage account.

Now, when I try to add say, my mum's iMessage account, it won't (didn't) work because it's already attached to a device that isn't grouped with my main Apple ID.

At the top of the iMessage settings, there is your Apple ID. My guess it that should be the same across all the devices you want to have unified messaging.
Looks like it.

Mac OS has multiple account capability whereas iOS doesn't. There is no standard in Apple's own ways.

So stupid of them persistently giving us these types of limitations just because they want it that way.
aoitsukinosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:43 PM   #9
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belle View
Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Why not use one apple ID on all devices and add all the different emails. Then set your start conversations from to the email you want for each device and uncheck any address you don't want the device to receive.
__________________
swordfish5736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:49 PM   #10
aoitsukinosuke
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfish5736 View Post
Why not use one apple ID on all devices and add all the different emails. Then set your start conversations from to the email you want for each device and uncheck any address you don't want the device to receive.
That is the problem.
All my email addresses are linked with separate Apple IDs due to app store availabilities.
I do not have any free-to-add addresses left and definitely don't want to have a new email.
aoitsukinosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:09 PM   #11
swordfish5736
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Belle View
Send a message via AIM to swordfish5736
Quote:
Originally Posted by aoitsukinosuke View Post
That is the problem.
All my email addresses are linked with separate Apple IDs due to app store availabilities.
I do not have any free-to-add addresses left and definitely don't want to have a new email.
Have you tried logging out of iMessage on one of the devices then add that address in the send & receive menu on another
__________________
swordfish5736 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:15 PM   #12
aoitsukinosuke
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by swordfish5736 View Post
Have you tried logging out of iMessage on one of the devices then add that address in the send & receive menu on another
No. What use would that be for my original problem?
Swordfish - thank you for your time. Keep em coming. We might strike sth
aoitsukinosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:11 AM   #13
Realistiic
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Scotland
Can't you change your business email apple ID and then make a new Apple ID with that email.
Realistiic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 01:22 AM   #14
aoitsukinosuke
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Realistiic View Post
Can't you change your business email apple ID and then make a new Apple ID with that email.
Thanks but no I can't. That doesn't solve my problem.
I am not simply trying to differentiate the receiving addresses, I'm trying to use an overlapping solution.
aoitsukinosuke is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2013, 09:38 PM   #15
SanjeevRana
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Simple ... can you have multiple Apple IDs at the same time ???
__________________
*** iOS Dev since 2011 ***
*** Android ROM Dev at XDA-DEV since 2009 ***
iPhone 5 White 64G
2 x iPhone4S 64G iPad2 64GB Black iPad3 32GB White
SanjeevRana is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iOS > iOS 6

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multiple Apple IDs to one Calendar Benny- iPhone and iPod touch Apps 1 Apr 15, 2014 09:14 AM
Another multiple ID, multiple device, multiple phone number iMessage question mrcalabash iOS 6 3 Jan 12, 2013 07:45 PM
Multiple Apple ids and one PC bwsiii iCloud and Apple Services 3 Dec 16, 2012 07:00 AM
Can multiple devices have multiple iCloud IDs mrniice iCloud and Apple Services 0 Sep 20, 2012 06:10 PM
multiple Apple IDs musukosan OS X 2 Sep 19, 2012 04:11 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:39 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC