Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
I have a Mini, iPhone4 and an iPad2 and a big iMessage problem in 2 parts.

Here is my iMessage set-up;

Mini - Receiving @ Yahoo based Apple ID.
iPad - Receiving @ Yahoo based Apple ID.
iPhone - Receiving @ Gmail based Apple ID + my cell number.

When I try to add my Yahoo based ID to iMessages on my iPhone, it doesn't allow me saying that this account is already in use.

Apparently, iMessage allows only 1 Apple ID per device. Since my Yahoo based ID is already on iPad, I can't get those messages on my phone.

Then, I try to enter my AOL address in my iPad's iMessage, it gives me the same warning. But, I don't have this 3rd address dedicated to any device.

Can somebody give a hand?

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Why are you trying to use a different email address?

Not different actually, additional.

Simple.

Mini is naturally in my office where my assistant has access to it, so I just do my business messaging with it. iPad is the same as Mini except my travels. So both must be strictly business oriented.

But my iPhone is with me wherever I go, so I do my personals with it and plus want to receive all other messages with it.

Sometimes I start a string from the office and step out. People naturally just hit reply and I can't get access to those with my current set-up.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Gotcha. No you can't do what your after you'd have to remove the 'business' email from your iPhone to achieve that

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
I don't think you can use more than one true iMessage account per device. Atm, I have my main email with 4 alias' and my phone number set to receive iMessages. These all work because none of those emails are registered to another, separate iMessage account.

Now, when I try to add say, my mum's iMessage account, it won't (didn't) work because it's already attached to a device that isn't grouped with my main Apple ID.

At the top of the iMessage settings, there is your Apple ID. My guess it that should be the same across all the devices you want to have unified messaging.

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Gotcha. No you can't do what your after you'd have to remove the 'business' email from your iPhone to achieve that

That's where I am at the moment. :(
Hoped someone might have a workaround, but I guess I'm shooting for the stars. :eek:

Thank you. :)

----------

I don't think you can use more than one true iMessage account per device. Atm, I have my main email with 4 alias' and my phone number set to receive iMessages. These all work because none of those emails are registered to another, separate iMessage account.

Now, when I try to add say, my mum's iMessage account, it won't (didn't) work because it's already attached to a device that isn't grouped with my main Apple ID.

At the top of the iMessage settings, there is your Apple ID. My guess it that should be the same across all the devices you want to have unified messaging.

Looks like it.

Mac OS has multiple account capability whereas iOS doesn't. There is no standard in Apple's own ways.

So stupid of them persistently giving us these types of limitations just because they want it that way. :mad:

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Why not use one apple ID on all devices and add all the different emails. Then set your start conversations from to the email you want for each device and uncheck any address you don't want the device to receive.

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Why not use one apple ID on all devices and add all the different emails. Then set your start conversations from to the email you want for each device and uncheck any address you don't want the device to receive.

That is the problem.
All my email addresses are linked with separate Apple IDs due to app store availabilities.
I do not have any free-to-add addresses left and definitely don't want to have a new email.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
That is the problem.
All my email addresses are linked with separate Apple IDs due to app store availabilities.
I do not have any free-to-add addresses left and definitely don't want to have a new email.

Have you tried logging out of iMessage on one of the devices then add that address in the send & receive menu on another

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Have you tried logging out of iMessage on one of the devices then add that address in the send & receive menu on another

No. What use would that be for my original problem?
Swordfish - thank you for your time. Keep em coming. We might strike sth ;)

aoitsukinosuke

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 13, 2011
Can't you change your business email apple ID and then make a new Apple ID with that email.

Thanks but no I can't. That doesn't solve my problem.
I am not simply trying to differentiate the receiving addresses, I'm trying to use an overlapping solution.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.