Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
Hello everyone! This is my first post on Macrumors, however I have been following this website for years. I feel that it is time for me to finally get active on this site.

Tonight I did the Apple TV 5.2 update which added iTunes in the Cloud among other features. I noticed when browsing my music library on my Apple TV that about half of my purchases are not showing. I double checked my iTunes library on my computer, and also checked Previous Purchases on my Mac and iPhone, all show the complete library of purchases. I even saved all of my receipts for iTunes purchases and double checked that I had indeed purchased everything. All of these purchases were under one account. Is anyone else having the same issue? Some songs are missing for an artist while other songs are showing for the same artist and album. Weird.

I do not subscribe to iTunes match. My Apple TV is the latest model. Thanks for all of your help!

salohcin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
I haven't had a chance to update my Apple TV yet. I'll try to do it tonight and check it out, see if I have the same problem.

salohcin

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2008
Well I updated my Apple TV last night, but I wasn't able to find anything missing from my cloud music. It sounds like you've eliminated all the reasonable explanations for it.

Can you see any pattern to what's missing? Maybe a range in time when they were purchased? Were any of them purchased before iTunes became DRM free and weren't upgraded?

I'm really reaching now, but I do hope you can get it working.

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I'm not sure if I can find a connection. I appreciate your help. Looks like it's time to give Apple a call.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
All of these purchases were under one account.

I noticed the same thing, and believe there are several legitimate purchases that should appear as available that are not yet visible to access.

Are you sure they were all specifically purchased with the same AppleID email address associated with your iTunes account (also viewable in iTunes under Get Info/summary/email address used at time of purchase and embedded into each individual songs metadata?)

diphosphine

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2010
Well I updated my Apple TV last night, but I wasn't able to find anything missing from my cloud music. It sounds like you've eliminated all the reasonable explanations for it.

Can you see any pattern to what's missing? Maybe a range in time when they were purchased? Were any of them purchased before iTunes became DRM free and weren't upgraded?

I'm really reaching now, but I do hope you can get it working.

In my case, only 5 out of 67 purchased songs are showing up on my Apple TV 2 after the latest update (5.2). Looking at what the missing songs have in common, they all have "FairPlay version = 2". Are these songs supposed to be prevented from playing on the Apple TV 2? All 67 are available for redownload from iCloud both on my iMac and my iPhone. So, why wouldn't they also be made available on the Apple TV? Or is this a bug in the new software?

Apple a Day

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 25, 2007
I noticed the same thing, and believe there are several legitimate purchases that should appear as available that are not yet visible to access.

Are you sure they were all specifically purchased with the same AppleID email address associated with your iTunes account (also viewable in iTunes under Get Info/summary/email address used at time of purchase and embedded into each individual songs metadata?)

I did some investigating like you suggested and found the issue. I save all of my iTunes purchase receipts, fortunately, which helped with the investigation. All of my receipts correctly identify my purchases as associated with the correct email address (my Apple ID), which is good. However, after going to Get Info/summary I saw that the songs not showing on the Apple TV say purchased by my "firstlast" name, as opposed to the songs correctly showing as purchased by "AppleID".

If I remember correctly, my Apple ID was always associated with one email address however you could change the Apple ID to read a different title. In my case my Apple ID used to be "first last name" but still associated with the same email. Years later I changed it for simplicity to just read my email address. The important thing to note is that all the songs (to include how they read on the receipts) are associated with one email address (my current Apple ID) and all show as "purchases" in my download history.

After realizing this I figured a solution might be to delete the problem songs from my macbook pro, re-download them and maybe the Get Info data would now correctly reflect my Apple ID. It did, however all those songs say "Fairplay 2" now. Apparently this is DRM.

There was no change to the songs on my Apple TV. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

----------

In my case, only 5 out of 67 purchased songs are showing up on my Apple TV 2 after the latest update (5.2). Looking at what the missing songs have in common, they all have "FairPlay version = 2". Are these songs supposed to be prevented from playing on the Apple TV 2? All 67 are available for redownload from iCloud both on my iMac and my iPhone. So, why wouldn't they also be made available on the Apple TV? Or is this a bug in the new software?

I just saw your post on Apple Support communities:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21112633#21112633

I am following you there as well. Please let us know if you figure it out. Thanks!

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I did some investigating like you suggested and found the issue. I save all of my iTunes purchase receipts, fortunately, which helped with the investigation. All of my receipts correctly identify my purchases as associated with the correct email address (my Apple ID), which is good. However, after going to Get Info/summary I saw that the songs not showing on the Apple TV say purchased by my "firstlast" name, as opposed to the songs correctly showing as purchased by "AppleID".

If I remember correctly, my Apple ID was always associated with one email address however you could change the Apple ID to read a different title. In my case my Apple ID used to be "first last name" but still associated with the same email. Years later I changed it for simplicity to just read my email address. The important thing to note is that all the songs (to include how they read on the receipts) are associated with one email address (my current Apple ID) and all show as "purchases" in my download history.

After realizing this I figured a solution might be to delete the problem songs from my macbook pro, re-download them and maybe the Get Info data would now correctly reflect my Apple ID. It did, however all those songs say "Fairplay 2" now. Apparently this is DRM.

There was no change to the songs on my Apple TV. Sorry for the long post. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

----------

I just saw your post on Apple Support communities:

https://discussions.apple.com/message/21112633#21112633

I am following you there as well. Please let us know if you figure it out. Thanks!

I too am very interested in learning about this. Please make sure to share any information you find by calling Apple and/or communicating with others on support forums.

Thanks!

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
FairPlay2

I checked my purchased song info and can confirm that I too am having the same issue with FairPlay 2 songs not appearing on my AppleTV3 iTunes in the Cloud. Still not resolved!

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
I called them and they said the "iTunes Department" was the correct department to speak with, but they said that the iTunes support doesn't have a support phone number and only handle requests by email, though I'm not totally convinced that is the truth because I've spoken with them in the past before.

Anyway, they re-directed me here:
http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/contact/

Then press the following links:
"Contact iTunes Store Support" in the middle of the page.
"Connecting and Downloading"
"The topic is not listed"

Type "iTunes in the Cloud" in the text field, and press Enter.
Press Continue
Press the giant Email Icon button
Enter your Contact info and "iTunes in the Cloud"/FairPlay2/AppleTV issue details into the web form, and click Continue to submit your email support request.

I'll let you know happens with my request.

Good luck!

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
"Reset all settings" doesn't work.

What appears on my AppleTV3's iTunes in the Cloud is exactly what appears in my iTunes application sidebar under "Purchased/Purchased AAC Audio File," but it does not include any "Protected AAC Audio Files," and together they still don't reflect all of my iTunes Music purchases.

I had to create a new smart playlist (purchased=true, media kind=music, live updating=checked/enabled) to see all of my iTunes Music Purchases in one list to count them easily.

But the "Purchased" list that Apple put in the Sidebar only includes purchases made since early 2010, not my full history of purchases. It does, however, include purchases made with two different APPLE ID email addresses that both belong to me (I changed my email address in the past). Both of these appear and playback fine on the AppleTV3 iTunes in the Cloud, while only signed into my current APPLE ID email address account (not multiple log-ins).

It does not include any FairPlay2 "Protected AAC Audio Files," even if they were purchased within the last six months.

I can only see and access about 142 of my 560+ or so legitimate iTunes Music Purchased songs on my AppleTV3 via iTunes in the Cloud.

I am able to AirPlay the FairPlay2 songs from my computer to the AppleTV3 without problem, but can't access them from iTunes in the Cloud on the AppleTV3.

Customer support suggested I reset all settings and/or restore the device, and said he didn't believe it to be an iCloud or iTunes Account issue.

I did reset all the settings and setup the AppleTV3 again, and restarted it, but it is still exactly the same as before. Everything works perfectly except for the ability to show all my iTunes music purchases in iTunes in the Cloud.

If anyone here has suggestions that might help identify/resolve this issue, I would appreciate it greatly. Otherwise, I guess I'll have to give the restore a try, just to say I tried it, and let anyone know what happened.

Also, I do not (and never have) subscribed to iTunes Match, so don't know if that may affect my ability to access, stream, and playback FairPlay2 DRMed songs on iTunes in the Cloud on AppleTV3.

Any thoughts are welcome!

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
"Restore" doesn't work

As suspected, the "restore" process didn't help.

I'm still discussing this with the iTunes Store support.

starwilson

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2011
How I recovered Fairplay 2 songs

Problem: Songs purchased from iTunes a few years ago will no longer play and keep prompting for authorization, which doesn't work even with your legitimate login and password. These songs were encrypted using Fairplay 2. In the case I was working on, they were purchased using the old AOL login.

Solution: (Note: I used Windows and didn't test this on a Mac) Deauthorize iTunes. Uninstall all Apple products from the computer - iTunes, Quicktime, Apple Update, Bonjour. Reboot. Download and install iTunes version 9 (which includes Quicktime) from OldApps. Reboot. I opened iTunes while holding down the shift key to make a new library. I imported only my m4p files into the new library.

Now try to play one of the protected songs and you'll get the login prompt. The old AOL login doesn't work even though it shows up. Enter your AOL login in the Apple login line without the @aol.com, then your password. If not AOL, login as usual. You must use the login that you used when you purchased the song. I also had to deauthorize all computers again and authorize the current one. TA DA! Now I could play the songs.

From here you can burn the songs to a CD - which Apple allowed even then - and reimport them as non-encrypted songs. If you have a lot of music to convert, buy a product like Audials and follow the instructions.

Hope this helps someone. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.