Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhoneandPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
I have say, 100,000 photos on the Mac's iPhoto repository.

I want to export them at medium resolution & size so that each file is say, 150 KB large then import them into the iPad for easy browsing while travelling or on the sofa. In fact bought a large capacity iPad with this in mind.

Meanwhile, if I take NEW photos on the iPhone or the iPad, I an happy that iCloud Photostream syncs these newly take photos eo each device see the other's new images.

What I DON'T want to happen is, Photostrean sees the newly imported 10,000 images and decides to sync the first 1000, as when the iPhone is re-docked with the iMac, I guess it will trigger a huge import to the Mac of all 10,000 downsized but duplicate images.

On top of all that, on the iPad, it would be cool to keep 'current' Photos stream type pics taken recently completely SEPARATE from the 'Archive' of those downsized images.

Already I'm thinking that the best way to manage all this is to add a separate photoalbum app to the iPad that has its own repository folder separate from the standard one that iPhoto on IOS uses. Then import all those downsized images via USB using iTunes on the Mac > iPad > Application > Import to Application.

But what kind of App am I looking for? Tried a few Google searches but all my keywords turn out to be hopelessly general and I cannot get relevant hits.

Perhaps on this forum someone can appreciate the scenario and suggest a solution?

[ Edit... started looking at Unbound... looks good in theory... any other suggestions? ]

Last edited:

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Photo Stream only keeps the last 1000 photos taken on an iOS device connected with your Apple ID (after which they are lost forever), so any imported photos (in separate albums) only appear in those devices you synced them to.

The easiest way, I believe is to do the sync through iTunes.

What I did was sort out my photos in separate folders on my MBA/PC and synced them through iTunes (you can select them individually). It takes some work to sort them out every time even after you've taken pictures from Photo Stream (via iPhoto, which I only use for importing photos), but the end result is more satisfactory and you can quickly show or look at those pictures you want without having to search for them for ages.

PhoneandPad

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 23, 2012
OK better come clean, the photo collection is entirely managed by my wife.
It is infeasibly large to just sync via iTumes and tbh I don't see the point of having the original full resolution files on the iPad and then it propagates to the iPhone...

But the point you make, that only photos taken on the iDevices will sync via iCloud, is very interesting. I assumed it will be blindly done for any newly appearing files in the standard IOS iPhoto folder.

It seems that a Google developer was after just the sort of solution I am looking for, only it is complicated:
http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_sync_your_iphoto_library_dropbox_and_google_drive

Andeavor

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
Believe me, Photo Stream only stores recently taken photos on all linked devices. I've lost a whole year's worth of random pictures because I didn't know it's only limited. :(

The problem using Dropbox is the limited space, unless you pay for more. I tried putting my collection on there but it exceeds the 2GB limit that Dropbox offers and I have nowhere near 1000 photos, they're mostly scans, though.

Besides, you still have to upload/download them somewhere and doing that through a third "drive" will only delay the transfer even more.

Just make sure you only keep the original resolution photos on your or your wife's computer while only uploading the smaller ones to your iDevice with iTunes. And if 15GB in one go takes too long, just keep adding a new folder before every sync. I'm sure you'll need time to sort the photos out first, which won't be done in one weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.