Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice

Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:25 AM   #1
jenny02
macrumors newbie

what should i buy for my mother ?

I need some helpful tips for a good gift.
I hope you can help me; )
Im happy about your comments
jenny02 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:34 AM   #2
designs216
macrumors 65816

Refurb Mini + cheap Dell monitor + One to One.

I helped my stepfather buy a nice iMac a few years back and he never uses it so don't swing for the fence on this one.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:50 AM   #3
Efrem
macrumors member

Do you want to buy her a computer, or are you looking for ideas like a pair of flip-flops that light up?

If you want to buy her a computer, tell us something about her, her background in computing, and so on.

If you don't tell us at least that much you'll get all sorts of weird ideas, like a pair of flip-flops that light up.
Efrem is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:10 AM   #4
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny02 View Post
My wife was very happy with two tickets for the "Nutcracker" that she received from our daughter.

And an iPad mini will do fine for your mother if she wants to take a computer to the ballet :-)
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:37 AM   #5
skippymac
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Got my mum a kindle fire hd for xmas and she loves it. Give us some more details about what sort of thing she likes/your budget and we can be a lot more helpful :P
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:10 AM   #6
saotomefirst
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efrem View Post
Do you want to buy her a computer, or are you looking for ideas like a pair of flip-flops that light up?

If you want to buy her a computer, tell us something about her, her background in computing, and so on.

If you don't tell us at least that much you'll get all sorts of weird ideas, like a pair of flip-flops that light up.
I second that. There is no way we can help you precisely if you won't tell us anything about your mother, or at least your intentions for a gift...

Now, presuming you didn't post here randomly - meaning you want to give someone you like a nice Apple gift, and judging by the fact that you have no idea on what to give her that you don't know much about Apple products yourself (if you had one you'd probably have at least mentioned it), I'd suggest:

- an iPad (either the #2 or the mini will do) -> if you want something that your mother can learn how to use in 15 minutes and won't bother you every minute about how to caps the text she writes
- an iPhone 4 -> another thing that your mother could learn in 15 minutes, supposing she can see the screen (my mother can't unfortunately )

-> Macs in general aren't the best choice to enter Apple world, mainly because people tend to resist to changes, so unless your mother had some previous experience with an Apple product before - or for that matter, with any Linux environment - I wouldn't recommend buying them.

-> you can consider iPods too, if your mother works out or if she likes to hear her music while in transit.

Hope this helps
saotomefirst is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:50 AM   #7
Fishrrman
macrumors 68040

Consider this for a display:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_i2757fm.htm

27", IPS, 3-year warranty, $269 @ Best Buy.

IMPORTANT: this is a "medium resolution" 27" display. That is to say, it has a larger pixel size (.311, I believe) -- it shows you the same image as a 24" display, but "blown up" a little bit. What this means for your mom is that she won't have to squint to focus on display, if (like me) her vision is not the best any more.

Combine this with the Mac Mini of your choice, and she should be good to go, at a decent price.

Last edited by Fishrrman; Feb 1, 2013 at 10:00 AM.
Fishrrman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:24 AM   #8
ToomeyND
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishrrman View Post
Consider this for a display:

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/aoc_i2757fm.htm

27", IPS, 3-year warranty, $269 @ Best Buy.

IMPORTANT: this is a "medium resolution" 27" display. That is to say, it has a larger pixel size (.311, I believe) -- it shows you the same image as a 24" display, but "blown up" a little bit. What this means for your mom is that she won't have to squint to focus on display, if (like me) her vision is not the best any more.

Combine this with the Mac Mini of your choice, and she should be good to go, at a decent price.
Do you work for this company?! I saw this post from you in the monitor thread as well! Your advice seems to work for a whole range of people!
ToomeyND is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:17 AM   #9
Old Muley
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
How about a Donald Driver Green Bay Packers jersey? That's what I got my mom.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Buying Tips and Advice