Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:31 AM   #1
three gee s
macrumors newbie

how to find applications compatible with older versions of IOS

hey all

Here is my problem. I have an iphone 3gs and I am running IOS 4.1 and NO I am not going to upgrade it anyway I am comfortable with it

I am a new iphone user. My mom gifted me this phone few months ago. She used it and there were no apps. so did I. No apps. But few weeks back from nowhere I became a book reading freak and tried to install ibooks. but it was not compatible with the verson of IOS I am using as it was upgraded.

Now my question is that how can I find Ibooks compatible with my version of IOS?

Thanks
three gee s is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:49 AM   #2
1080p
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by three gee s View Post
hey all

Here is my problem. I have an iphone 3gs and I am running IOS 4.1 and NO I am not going to upgrade it anyway I am comfortable with it

I am a new iphone user. My mom gifted me this phone few months ago. She used it and there were no apps. so did I. No apps. But few weeks back from nowhere I became a book reading freak and tried to install ibooks. but it was not compatible with the verson of IOS I am using as it was upgraded.

Now my question is that how can I find Ibooks compatible with my version of IOS?

Thanks
You can't. Apple does this with a lot of their own Appstore apps. They want everyone to upgrade to the latest iOS.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:57 AM   #3
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

Yep - you're gonna have to join the 21st century.
likethesoup2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesoup2 View Post
Yep - you're gonna have to join the 21st century.
(sigh) you do realize that every version of the iPhone was released in the 21st century, don't you? Actually, I take that back, you probably don't.

OP - Every app on the store clearly lists what software version is required to use it. No, iBooks does not work with your software version, you should be able to find third party apps that will function the same way. There's no need to update or upgrade if you don't want to unless the drawbacks from not being able to, say, read a book on your phone outweigh your other benefits from keeping a 3G.
Interstella5555 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5
likethesoup2
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interstella5555 View Post
(sigh) you do realize that every version of the iPhone was released in the 21st century, don't you? Actually, I take that back, you probably don't.

OP - Every app on the store clearly lists what software version is required to use it. No, iBooks does not work with your software version, you should be able to find third party apps that will function the same way. There's no need to update or upgrade if you don't want to unless the drawbacks from not being able to, say, read a book on your phone outweigh your other benefits from keeping a 3G.
Went right over ya . . . huh.
likethesoup2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:59 PM   #6
Interstella5555
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by likethesoup2 View Post
Went right over ya . . . huh.
You mean the bizarre need to insist that any tech older than 6 months doesn't work? Yup, that did go right over my head and has saved me thousands in unnecessary purchases.
Interstella5555 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:56 AM   #7
three gee s
macrumors newbie

thanks for all the replies.
so can anyone tell me any goos third party pdf readers?
three gee s is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone