Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
So I got my iPhone 4 two years ago this month-joined MacRumours soon thereafter. As I up to renew my contract I took the opportunity to upgrade to an iPhone 5 (white, 64GB). Finally I will see what the hype about a slightly taller screen, Siri, etc. is all about. :p

It will only be activated tomorrow morning. So tonight I will do a final backup of my phone through iTunes - I have already transferred/deleted all photos/videos/docs off the phone - then I presume I just plug the new phone in and restore from the most recent backup? All my apps, contacts and the game saves etc will also be transferred? What about settings? Wifi passwords? Will I have to authorise the phone to access my apple id?

Also salesperson at my carrier told me to run the phone down and charge for at least 6 hours. What is your experience with it?

Wallpapers, no point useing iPhone 4 wallpapers eh?

Cases: read so much about the 5 being a bit more fragile, at least in getting nicked and dented-while of course unless it drops on the screen not liable to shattering. I can see already the edge (antenna?) is less hard than the 4's. What kind of cases if any do you all recommend? I used the griffin reveal for the 4, thinking of going for a leather pocket or wallet type case for the 5.

Anyway will report back on my impressions with it and surely more questions .

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
So I got my iPhone 4 two years ago this month-joined MacRumours soon thereafter. As I up to renew my contract I took the opportunity to upgrade to an iPhone 5 (white, 64GB). Finally I will see what the hype about a slightly taller screen, Siri, etc. is all about. :p

It will only be activated tomorrow morning. So tonight I will do a final backup of my phone through iTunes - I have already transferred/deleted all photos/videos/docs off the phone - then I presume I just plug the new phone in and restore from the most recent backup? All my apps, contacts and the game saves etc will also be transferred? What about settings? Wifi passwords? Will I have to authorise the phone to access my apple id?

Also salesperson at my carrier told me to run the phone down and charge for at least 6 hours. What is your experience with it?

Wallpapers, no point useing iPhone 4 wallpapers eh?

Cases: read so much about the 5 being a bit more fragile, at least in getting nicked and dented-while of course unless it drops on the screen not liable to shattering. I can see already the edge (antenna?) is less hard than the 4's. What kind of cases if any do you all recommend? I used the griffin reveal for the 4, thinking of going for a leather pocket or wallet type case for the 5.

Anyway will report back on my impressions with it and surely more questions .

Everything should transfer from your desktop to your new i5. And actually the i5 is MUCH morr durable then the i4S/i4. The anodization all over the phone is tougher then you think, but the chamfered edges is prone to scratching(my i5 is in fantastic condition)

My i5 has been in a thin case all this time(really open case) and my phone is still in flawless condition..no chip marks, no anodization coming off, none of that...good as brand new.

When you get your i5, make sure it is on iOS 6.1..if not I suggest you update to iOS 6.1 immediately after getting the phone..

Wow your coming from a i4...the difference is going to be absolutely huge you will love your i5 10000000x more then you ever loved a iPhone lmao

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.