Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:37 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Design Drawings Reveal Case Makers' Expectations for iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone

Following yesterday's photos of a case said to be based on the expected design for Apple's lower-cost iPhone, AppleInsider now shares design drawings from a case maker showing expectations for the exact dimensions and profiles of the both the lower-cost iPhone and the iPhone 5S.

Unsurprisingly, the dimensions of the iPhone 5S are nearly identical to those of the iPhone 5, with case makers also apparently expecting the same layout and size of the physical features.

The lower-cost iPhone, which is rumored to be adopting a plastic shell that will requires a slightly larger body than the iPhone 5/5S, is expected to be approximately 0.6 mm taller, 0.6 mm wider, and 0.8 mm thicker than the current design. The drawings also show rounded rear edges that have been rumored since a January report from iLounge. That report also offered similar claims of the relative dimensions for the device compared to the iPhone 5.

The new design drawings also appear to show the exact same set of physical features as described by iLounge, including pill-shaped side buttons rather than the round ones seen on the iPhone 5, as well as a bottom edge reminiscent of the iPod touch with four holes for the speaker rather than the larger grille seen on the iPhone 5. The lower-cost iPhone would also include a pair of screw holes, one on each side of the Lightning connector, and a single microphone hole located very close to the device's headphone jack.

Case makers have on a number of occasions offered accurate pictures of upcoming Apple product designs, although they have also been incorrect at times, most notably with the 2011 tapered iPhone design.

Both the iPhone 5S and the lower-cost iPhone are expected to debut later this year, with September being the most popular rumored timeframe.

Article Link: Design Drawings Reveal Case Makers' Expectations for iPhone 5S and Lower-Cost iPhone
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:38 AM   #2
Dwalls90
macrumors 68040

Pretty specific considering we've seen no real part leaks?

5S is obviously the same.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:39 AM   #3
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Why would the 5S be .1 mm thicker than the 5?
applefanDrew is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:44 AM   #4
Abobrek
macrumors member

This is obviously a fake. Schematics are meant to be very precise. Why would Apple include a graphic on one home button and not the other?
Abobrek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:46 AM   #5
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

make it fat! like a big fat maafaka!
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:50 AM   #6
Sky Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abobrek View Post
This is obviously a fake. Schematics are meant to be very precise. Why would Apple include a graphic on one home button and not the other?
"design drawings from a case maker"
Sky Blue is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:55 AM   #7
ValSalva
macrumors 68040

Tim Cook is either laughing or his head is about to explode.
ValSalva is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:58 AM   #8
BMcCoy
macrumors 6502

We've seen this before - it was wrong then too...
BMcCoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 08:58 AM   #9
DeepDish
macrumors newbie

who the frak cares

Who cares if any model of iPhone being slightly bigger?

I would take a slightly bigger iPhone any day if it meant more battery.

.1mm here or .05mm there doesn't make any difference to me.

Give me more battery.

Once I put a case on my iPhone, I can't tell anymore about .1mm this or .1mm that.
DeepDish is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:00 AM   #10
oneMadRssn
macrumors 6502a

I've been hoping they move the charing connector to the top of the phone. The cables on my desk come from behind the desk, the cables on my nighstand also come from behind the nighstand, the cables in my car come from the front of the car. In all these arrangements, having the cable at the bottom results in stress at the connector and an awkward angle.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:02 AM   #11
renosausage
macrumors regular

A low cost iPhone would be an excellent idea for Apple to invest in.

One major problem I have found with the iPhone lineup is the cheaper iPhone 4 and 4s.

They may be cheaper in price, but unfortunately you are not able to truly enjoy all the features that Apple provides.

They are also considerably slower, My iPhone 4 is so slow that it really becomes a pain trying to do basic functions.

I don't like the idea of selling old models for a cheaper price. The iPhone 4 is over 2 years old and truly needs to be obsolete.

I can't imagine how slow it will be once iOS 7 is released.

An iPhone Light means that you can do away with these older models and instead sell an iPhone capable of giving you the best experience possible at a lower price.

Imagine every year the old models are done away with and new iPhones and iPhone lights take their place.

The pricing could be set like this:

iPhone Light 16gb $350 or $0 with 2 Year Contract

iPhone Light 32gb $450 or $100 with 2 Year Contract

iPhone 5s 16gb $650 or $200 with 2 Year Contract

iPhone 5s 32gb $750 or $300 with 2 Year Contract

This would be so awesome, Now everyone could have the best Apple experience while also being able to choose their on price.
renosausage is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:03 AM   #12
Raftysworld
macrumors 6502

I really don't think Steve would have approved of a lower-cost iPhone. It tarnishes the brand they've worked so hard to create
Raftysworld is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:03 AM   #13
pnoyblazed
macrumors 6502a

dual LED flash a possibility?
pnoyblazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:07 AM   #14
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
I really don't think Steve would have approved of a lower-cost iPhone. It tarnishes the brand they've worked so hard to create
Yeah, now all those "other people" can have iPhones too! Ewwww! Who's going to envy me now?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:08 AM   #15
dmunz
macrumors regular

But why is it just a little larger?

The size does not make any sense. What do you get (or save) cost wise by making is slightly larger??

FWIW
DLM

EDIT TO ADD: Maybe a bigger, cheaper battery? I would hope they would not put a larger battery in the low cost version...
dmunz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:09 AM   #16
numlock
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
A low cost iPhone would be an excellent idea for Apple to invest in.

One major problem I have found with the iPhone lineup is the cheaper iPhone 4 and 4s.

They may be cheaper in price, but unfortunately you are not able to truly enjoy all the features that Apple provides.

They are also considerably slower, My iPhone 4 is so slow that it really becomes a pain trying to do basic functions.

I don't like the idea of selling old models for a cheaper price. The iPhone 4 is over 2 years old and truly needs to be obsolete.

I can't imagine how slow it will be once iOS 7 is released.

An iPhone Light means that you can do away with these older models and instead sell an iPhone capable of giving you the best experience possible at a lower price.

Imagine every year the old models are done away with and new iPhones and iPhone lights take their place.

The pricing could be set like this:

iPhone Light 16gb $350 or $0 with 2 Year Contract

iPhone Light 32gb $450 or $100 with 2 Year Contract

iPhone 5s 16gb $650 or $200 with 2 Year Contract

iPhone 5s 32gb $750 or $300 with 2 Year Contract

This would be so awesome, Now everyone could have the best Apple experience while also being able to choose their on price.
will they arbitrarily handicap the "light" versions like they do now with previous models?

its a few months until we know the specs for it and what will make the "light" cheaper.

Quote:
i dont know your location but buying an unlocked iphone (or equivalent) is crazy expensive and that for instance is the only option in some places.

there was an ipod family so why not an iphone family?

i think its all about how its executed. it can be done poorly or it can be a huge success.

if anything tarnishes the iphone brands its how the whole company has been on its heels and its innovation is borrowing the copier from redmond
numlock is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:10 AM   #17
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepDish View Post
Who cares if any model of iPhone being slightly bigger?

I would take a slightly bigger iPhone any day if it meant more battery.

.1mm here or .05mm there doesn't make any difference to me.

Give me more battery.

Once I put a case on my iPhone, I can't tell anymore about .1mm this or .1mm that.
I care. I expect the 5S will be the same 7.6 mm but I expect the 6 to be thinner. Like maybe 6.4 mm.
applefanDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:11 AM   #18
Bhatu
macrumors regular

A cheap iPod,
A cheap phone,
A cheap internet mobile communicator...
these are NOT three separate cheap devices!
And we are calling it iPhone...Lite!

Beat it Samsung!
Bhatu is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:11 AM   #19
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

I would not be surprise if we see the new low cost iphone to use A5 chip (or that qualcomm chip),
as i'm guessing Apple would still sell the iPhone 5 once the 5S introduced.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:11 AM   #20
renosausage
macrumors regular

Quote:
The iPhone 4 tarnishes the brand too. They shouldn't be selling that iPhone model at all.

Most people by that model because of the price, but they have no idea they are getting a chip that originally came from the iPhone 3gs.

Its too slow to be used and makes the iPhone lineup look like junk.

Just as you said it tarnishes the brand.

An iPhone Light would not do this
renosausage is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:12 AM   #21
trip1ex
macrumors 68000

So it's going to be a rectangular touchscreen slab form factor like every other smartphone on the planet. News at 11!!!!!
trip1ex is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:13 AM   #22
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by renosausage View Post
...One major problem I have found with the iPhone lineup is the cheaper iPhone 4 and 4s.

Hyperbole?

I have a white iPhone 4 and haven't found the "so slow that it really becomes a pain" when using it for basic functions and with many of the applications I have on the phone.

What I will cede on though is that 16 GB of storage on the phone blows as I'm always running out of space and this does effect the overall speed of the phone.

Now when the iPhone 5 S is released I might just buy one as the time would be right to upgrade and give my current iPhone 4 to my toddler.
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:14 AM   #23
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
The same Steve that approved the iPod nano and shuffle? Did that tarnish the iPod brand?
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:14 AM   #24
Mactendo
macrumors 6502

They may drop the digit after 'iPhone' as they did with iPad and there will be two models: iPhone and iPhone light.
Mactendo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2013, 09:15 AM   #25
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

I don't mind that the 5S will look the same as the 5. Can't totally redesign a phone every single year.

I just wish my two-year cycle didn't fall on the "S" years.
HarryKeogh is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion