Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 12:49 PM   #1
bhadrakalpa
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Hub usb 3.0

Any suggestion for a good Hub USB 3.0 ?
bhadrakalpa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:04 PM   #2
BSoares
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
I bought this one and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006TT91TW/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1359676981&sr=8-3&pi=SL75
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:25 PM   #3
TouchMint.com
macrumors 65816
 
TouchMint.com's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Phoenix
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
I bought this one and it works great.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B006TT...sr=8-3&pi=SL75
What all are you using on it? I have heard external drives suffer and sometimes corrupt because of usb hubs.
__________________
TouchMint.com iOS App Site
Adventure To Fate iOS RPG Game Site
Indie iOS Game: Adventure To Fate : A Quest To The Core JRPG

TouchMint.com is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:05 PM   #4
bflowers
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchMint.com View Post
What all are you using on it? I have heard external drives suffer and sometimes corrupt because of usb hubs.
I have heard the same thing, which is a problem, as I have several large HDDs that are using up my USB slots. I would like to connect them all via a single hub, and put them on a shelf. Any feedback would be great.
bflowers is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 06:57 AM   #5
srcstc
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
I got this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009Z9M3DY/
Has a 2Amp charging port for an iPad, etc. Works great.
srcstc is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:47 AM   #6
BSoares
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
On my 7 port hub I have:

- FitBit charger
- 30-pin dock cable
- Lightning cable
- Printer
- Blu-ray drive (takes 2 ports for the extra power)
- Multi-card reader

That's it, all 7 ports used on the hub using just one on the iMac. Then on the iMac I have the wired keyboard and a USB 3.0 drive connected. That leaves me with one free USB port on the iMac for things that I rarely use like the cable to sync my Harmony remote, or the monthly clone of my HD that I connect and disconnect after it clones the disk, etc.
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:35 PM   #7
Aqueous
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by BSoares View Post
On my 7 port hub I have:

- FitBit charger
- 30-pin dock cable
- Lightning cable
- Printer
- Blu-ray drive (takes 2 ports for the extra power)
- Multi-card reader

That's it, all 7 ports used on the hub using just one on the iMac. Then on the iMac I have the wired keyboard and a USB 3.0 drive connected. That leaves me with one free USB port on the iMac for things that I rarely use like the cable to sync my Harmony remote, or the monthly clone of my HD that I connect and disconnect after it clones the disk, etc.
Hey, I have an LG BlyRay Burner that takes 2 USB ports, is that the same drive you have? Does it work on the HUB? I tried to connect it to my 30" ACD (which is a 2nd monitor to my 27" iMac) and it freakes out saying there wasn't enough power to run it. I want a HUB badly as I am short on ports, but I fear that half my stuff won't work anyway. I also have a Wacom Tablet that needs juice. Thanks!
Aqueous is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:13 AM   #8
BSoares
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqueous View Post
Hey, I have an LG BlyRay Burner that takes 2 USB ports, is that the same drive you have? Does it work on the HUB? I tried to connect it to my 30" ACD (which is a 2nd monitor to my 27" iMac) and it freakes out saying there wasn't enough power to run it. I want a HUB badly as I am short on ports, but I fear that half my stuff won't work anyway. I also have a Wacom Tablet that needs juice. Thanks!
I think my drive is made by Toshiba. It's one of those generic ones on eBay, I think I paid $29 or $39 for it a while ago. Uses 2 USB ports and works fine on the hub (which is powered and provides plenty of juice to it). I've used it for ripping many movies via the hub, works great.
BSoares is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Desktops > iMac

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
USB 2 hub or USB 3 HUB for charging? MiniD3 Mac Peripherals 7 Nov 28, 2013 09:12 AM
usb 3.0 hub Sturgeon boy iMac 27 Oct 26, 2013 04:31 PM
Dell Monitor USB Hub (USB 1.1) DanTesla1 Mac Peripherals 2 Sep 30, 2013 09:58 PM
USB Hub spin360 Mac Peripherals 12 Aug 23, 2013 10:38 AM
USB 2.0 device performance through USB 3.0 hub Morien Mac Peripherals 4 Jul 4, 2012 05:46 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:51 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC