Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacOSXuser

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 1, 2007
Toronto
Anyone experience slow on iPhone 5 compare to 6.0 or 6.0.1?

I am scared to upgrade, as previous experiences from iPhone 2, 3, 4 told me Apple likes to make the device slow as they upgrade iOS.

Also is it possible to downgrade (option+click) in iTunes revert back to 6.0.1 if needed ?

thanks

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Something like this might happen with a full OS upgrade (going from 5 to 6, for example), but not so much with a point upgrade (6.0 to 6.1). That aside, something like this would never really happen to the latest version of a device--iPhone 5 being the latest iPhone version would generally work the best with the latest version of the iOS.

bwillwall

Suspended
Dec 24, 2009

I am scared to upgrade, as previous experiences from iPhone 2, 3, 4 told me Apple likes to make the device slow as they upgrade iOS.

Also is it possible to downgrade (option+click) in iTunes revert back to 6.0.1 if needed ?

thanks

Such a small upgrade will not cause slow performance. I am a 4S user and my performance is fine.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011

Yes, lets make the user frustrated with the device by making it slow and get angry at their purchase, that will make them buy the new version again! /sarcasm

Honestly, if you think Apple does this, you are nuts.

Bawstun

Suspended
Jun 25, 2009
I am in the 0.00000001% minority here I'm sure, but I'm still on a 3GS. 6.1 runs much smoother than 6. At least for me.

Tubamajuba

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2011
here
Yes, lets make the user frustrated with the device by making it slow and get angry at their purchase, that will make them buy the new version again! /sarcasm

Honestly, if you think Apple does this, you are nuts.

Thank you. Try running Windows 8 on a ten year old computer (as it would have come out of the box- no RAM upgrades or anything) and don't act surprised when it doesn't run as well as it would on a brand new laptop. That's a pretty similar situation when we're talking about the extremely fast-paced mobile device market. An iPhone 4 contains ancient technology compared to what's in the iPhone 5.

DayOfChaos

macrumors 6502
Nov 13, 2011
Thank you. Try running Windows 8 on a ten year old computer (as it would have come out of the box- no RAM upgrades or anything) and don't act surprised when it doesn't run as well as it would on a brand new laptop. That's a pretty similar situation when we're talking about the extremely fast-paced mobile device market. An iPhone 4 contains ancient technology compared to what's in the iPhone 5.

I agree with you.

Windows 8 does not purposely make your PC slower. OP on the other hand, is claiming that iOS slows your device down purposely. I get what you are saying though.

Last edited:

Bahroo

macrumors 68000
Jul 21, 2012
iOS 6.1 has sped up my i5, improved wifi performance, and faster and smoother App store/iTunes store/ music store no other speed improvements anywhere else.

iOS 6.1 is much more polished then 6.0

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

thanks

If anything, my iPhone 4S feels faster on iOS 6.1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.