Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
I'm getting tired of this 4S and my update is due, kinda thinking of upgrading now. Do you guys think the 5S will have enough upgrades worth waiting for?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Well you're asking to make a buying decision on an unreleased product - something that's rather difficult. Based on history, I'd say the 5S is going to have a small set of incremental updates, so much so that I'd not recommend this but wait for the 6 but since we know nothing of the details its hard to nail down for certainty what the specs will be

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Well you're asking to make a buying decision on an unreleased product - something that's rather difficult. Based on history, I'd say the 5S is going to have a small set of incremental updates, so much so that I'd not recommend this but wait for the 6 but since we know nothing of the details its hard to nail down for certainty what the specs will be
I just wonder if its worth waiting for the 5S.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
True, why wait now,it's just another 2 years before the next upgrade lol. Lately. I've been using my 4S naked, just so I can see it. I have a Mophie case for it that's bulky so you never get to enjoy the sleek design of the iPhone..

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I just wonder if its worth waiting for the 5S.

That's my point the changes are probably going to be small. If you don't care for the 5 (and I don't know if you do or don't) then skip the 5s since its not going to be much different

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
I like the 5 and plan to either get a 5 or 5S. The 6 is to long to wait.. I liked the 4S over the 4 that I had and Siri was worth the upgrade. I'm just hoping the 5S has enough upgrades to warrant the wait, but from reading on this forum and others I'm starting to doubt the upgrades from seeing what they did with 6.1..

MacLovin78

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2008
Having recently upgraded from the 4 to the 5 I would honestly hold off for the 6 having the 4s. You really don't gain anything out of the iOS by going to the 5 so unless they come out with something quite new on the 5S then I would personally wait for the 6.

likethesoup2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2011
Orlando, Florida
I've heard (& take that for what it's worth) that the 'big thing' coming on the 5S is a 13mp camera.

I'm in the same boat as you, and I've decided to wait it out . . . mostly in hopes that they get some of the quality 'issues' worked out for the 5S.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Ask yourself what is it you're tired of? The OS? The shape? Just want something new?

Either way, I'd wait for the 5S. I'd expect many of the 5's issues will be worked out by then.

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I have been on the 4S for a year+ now and I'm still not anxious about upgrading to the iPhone 5 or either a future release of a 5S. I can still do all my daily routine on my current device.

Another thing that has held me back also is the new charging connector (lighting), in which will require buying a whole lot of cables for a new upgrade along with the phone.

I have a like for the LG Nexus4 becuse I also like android, but iOS is my primary OS of usage.

Zerilos

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2012
I'm getting tired of this 4S and my update is due, kinda thinking of upgrading now. Do you guys think the 5S will have enough upgrades worth waiting for?

Hard to say, but personally I'd wait for the 5s. I've seen a lot of awesome rumors, if even half are true it would be a major upgrade.

Agent-P

Contributor
Dec 5, 2009
The Tri-State Area
I started with the 3GS and I've stayed on the "S cycle" of products since that's when my upgrades fell. And really, I prefer the "S generation" devices anyway since Apple has had time to refine the design.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
well I just called At&t and I have till May 17th, so I guess I'm waiting either way lol. Spending $813.00 is not worth getting a new phone..

Ta0jin

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2011
Maryland
well I just called At&t and I have till May 17th, so I guess I'm waiting either way lol. Spending $813.00 is not worth getting a new phone..

As long as your 4S is still working good it's ok but you have to think is it gonna still work good for another two years especially since your rocking it naked? Even if you bought the 5 now you'd still probably be up for your next upgrade when the 6 comes out. So in that event it's probably worth upgrading for a bigger screen and a few upgraded features till the 6 comes along.

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Yes my 4S is flawless. It has spent all of its life in a case except for the last few days, now it goes in it's case when the battery runs out which is usually in the afternoon. I just hope the 5S comes out as soon as i'm eligible for my upgrade !

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
Have you considered buying the iPhone 5 then selling it when the 5S comes out?

I did that one year, I believe I paid $429 with tax for a new 3GS when it came out then a full year later sold it for $420. Nine bucks well spent owning it for a year.

cfs112

macrumors member
Oct 26, 2012
Buy if you need it now. You're in the middle of the refresh cycle, and Apple will likely release the 5s August or Sept. Just get it and sell it later, they have good resale values online

Darkhrse99

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 24, 2013
New Mexico
Have you considered buying the iPhone 5 then selling it when the 5S comes out?

I did that one year, I believe I paid $429 with tax for a new 3GS when it came out then a full year later sold it for $420. Nine bucks well spent owning it for a year.

I've done that with all my previous iPhones. Craigslist is the bomb for that ! I may do it again in my and hope it does get to pricey. Before I used to get the 16gb ones, but now with all the apps and hd stuff anything less then 32 gb and phone is full within a week. So it's more money out of my pocket even with selling phones and having to pay full price for the newest design. How much would you think a 32gb 4S is worth?

chrscap

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2012
I would not wait, guessing its about 9-10 months till the next release.

No phone - get the i5
Phone you can live with to last you 9-10 months - wait for 5S

tonyy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2011
Dallas
Skip the 5s. Use your upgrade on the 5, and wait for the ipad 5 or retina mini. Whatever tickles your fancy.

moldy lunchbox

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2010
Sunny California
I've done that with all my previous iPhones. Craigslist is the bomb for that ! I may do it again in my and hope it does get to pricey. Before I used to get the 16gb ones, but now with all the apps and hd stuff anything less then 32 gb and phone is full within a week. So it's more money out of my pocket even with selling phones and having to pay full price for the newest design. How much would you think a 32gb 4S is worth?

Haha it sure is! And yeah I've always had 16gb but i was deleting app caches every other day with only 500mb left so i had to move up to 32gb on my 5. If your 4S 32gb is for AT&T I would say you can fetch $420-400, and probably $350-ish for Verizon or Sprint.

It's upto you if you want to wait or not, personally I couldn't sit on an upgrade for more than 3 months but a 4S can do the same functions as the 5 besides LTE so your call lol

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
People keep talking about the 5S fixing all the "issues" with the 5. What are these issues that eveyone is talking about, it is usually those that dont even have a 5 that claim it has so many issues. Me, my wife and brother all have iPhone 5 and none of us have experienced any "issues" with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.