Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

a16zbrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
Has anyone partitioned their fusion drive yet for bootcamp? Is the process the same as the previous gen? I have a 1TB so should be excluded from the 3TB limitation.

This is also a general question on partitioning but does it degrade performance overtime? I had a Win7 partition on my last gen iMac and it felt like HD took a big hit to performance over time.

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
I have the 1TB Fusion and I did a 30GB partition for win 8. Since windows does not take advantage of the fusion drive, I had moved the partition over to an external SSD via TB and just bootcamp directly from there and removing the internal bootcamp partition. Works the same except now windows does not touch my internal drive at all.

a16zbrian

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2013
I have the 1TB Fusion and I did a 30GB partition for win 8. Since windows does not take advantage of the fusion drive, I had moved the partition over to an external SSD via TB and just bootcamp directly from there and removing the internal bootcamp partition. Works the same except now windows does not touch my internal drive at all.

Yep I saw that's another option - I think I'm going down the partition route.

Is there any detriment to HD performance from a partition?

Outrigger

macrumors 68000
Dec 22, 2008
Yep I saw that's another option - I think I'm going down the partition route.

Is there any detriment to HD performance from a partition?

The TB adapter is the limiting factor so you won't reach the full potential of the SSD, however, it will still be many times faster than an HDD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.