Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:05 PM   #1
bradl
macrumors 68020

Shooting at Atlanta Middle School Leaves 8th Grader Shot in the Head

I'm not titling this for the shock factor, as that was indeed what happened, but here we go again.. Australia, New Zealand, Guam, and the Moon are looking like really good places to move to right about now..

Atlanta Journal Constitution

Quote:
Shooting at Price Middle School

By Christian Boone
Staff

A 14-year-old student shot in the head at an Atlanta school Thursday is “alert, conscious and breathing,” said police.

The shooting occurred outside Price Middle School in southeast Atlanta, said Atlanta police spokesman Carlos Campos.

The male victim has been taken to Grady Memorial Hospital.

One suspect is in custody, according to Channel 2 Action News.

Channel 2’s Tom Jones said students have been taken into an auditorium and are not being released at this time.

An AJC reporter at the scene said the school is on lockdown and the area has been cordoned off by police. Concerned parents are waiting outside.

Parent Shanaka McGhee said her daughter, a 6th grader, called her and said, “There’s a standoff, there’s a standoff. There’s an intruder in the school, a boy going around shooting people.” McGhee is waiting outside the school for her daughter. She said police have yet to tell her anything.

Parent April Hood said parents received a text message from APS at 3 p.m. saying a student had been shot and a teacher had been hurt. Hood is the parent of an 8th grader. She said she has not heard anything from officials at the scene.

Atlanta Public Schools have scheduled a 4 p.m. press conference.

The Atlanta public school is located north of the Lakewood area at 1670 Benjamin Weldon Bickers Drive S.E.

Initial police reports were that the shooting was at Carver High School.

Return for updates.
So the question has to be asked: What would an armed guard do in this situation? Shoot and kill a parent's child? I'm not going to go into conspiracy theories on what caused this kid to do this; I'll wait for the facts to be uncovered, but we can not live in a society where everyone is armed and vigilant, fearing that someone is going to shoot, causing someone else to shoot. That is not any safe nor sane society to live in nor raise children in.

I hope both child and teacher make it out of this with a full recovery.

BL.
bradl is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:09 PM   #2
niuniu
Banned

Girl from inauguration shot in the park on Wednesday
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...aguration-shot
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:10 PM   #3
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
IIRC, this was covered in the inauguration thread earlier..

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:12 PM   #4
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
I'm not titling this for the shock factor, as that was indeed what happened, but here we go again.. Australia, New Zealand, Guam, and the Moon are looking like really good places to move to right about now..

So the question has to be asked: What would an armed guard do in this situation? Shoot and kill a parent's child? I'm not going to go into conspiracy theories on what caused this kid to do this; I'll wait for the facts to be uncovered, but we can not live in a society where everyone is armed and vigilant, fearing that someone is going to shoot, causing someone else to shoot. That is not any safe nor sane society to live in nor raise children in.

BL.
You're right. We should not be vigilant for our own safety, our own resources, our own shelter, our own anything. Nanny government will make sure no bad guys exist, everyone has a home, and hand out food rations. It will be a utopia. Is this how Australia is?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:12 PM   #5
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
IIRC, this was covered in the inauguration thread earlier..

BL.
It was. And gun control has also been covered in a fair amount of threads before this one.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:14 PM   #6
Menel
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Quote:
Cook County and the city of Chicago have separately banned the possession of "assault weapons", and of magazines that can hold more than 10 or 12 rounds of ammunition respectively.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

Did a lot of good. Maybe they'll enact some laws that make sense.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:15 PM   #7
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Luckily, in the last article I read, the injuries to the child appear to be non-life threatening.

Amazingly, we've reached a point where these seem to be a weekly thing - but it could have been much, much worse. Sad that things like that even have to be pointed out.
Moyank24 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:16 PM   #8
torana355
macrumors 65816

I would be terrified to live in America.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:19 PM   #9
webbuzz
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

BL.
A reporter from WSB TV, during the live feed, said the teacher was trampled, and not shot. Morse Diggs from WAGA said the girl is awake and breathing on her own. Hopefully she is not critical and makes a full recovery.
webbuzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:22 PM   #10
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel View Post
You're right. We should not be vigilant for our own safety, our own resources, our own shelter, our own anything. Nanny government will make sure no bad guys exist, everyone has a home, and hand out food rations. It will be a utopia. Is this how Australia is?
Not really a utopia, no, but definitely distant and disconnected from the fear, paranoia, lack of interaction in our cultural society and cowboy diplomacy we are applying domestically. Some people seem to think that living in the 50s and 60s, with mindsets like those in Rio Bravo, Hondo, and the like are how we should be living in society today, and look at how that is tearing us apart.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:22 PM   #11
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Yeah like those in the UK or Aus.
niuniu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:27 PM   #12
SilentPanda
Moderator emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by torana355 View Post
If you only watched the news of any locale, you'd probably be terrified to live there. We're not so bad.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:30 PM   #13
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPanda View Post
It was. And gun control has also been covered in a fair amount of threads before this one.
We should have one long-term thread titled, "Just Another Shooting in America"

It will always be relevant and timely.

Quote:
You get used to it.
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:35 PM   #14
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by citizenzen View Post
We should have one long-term thread titled, "Just Another Shooting in America"

It will always be relevant and timely.
Might as well make it a sticky.
Moyank24 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:36 PM   #15
zioxide
macrumors 603

Freedom!
zioxide is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:37 PM   #16
nickn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Illinois

I am a resident of Cook County, and that heap of s*** assault weapons/handguns ban Chicago did was the absolute worst thing they could of done. I would absolutely love to legally force the idiots who wrote those nonsense laws to have to take a stroll though such communities as Englewood and Austin, and see what happens. Every gangster has a AK-47, even though they are of course banned, but nobody is going to talk about that... How funny that Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in America, with a massive amount of murders every day, but yet has banned everything. No handguns, assault weapons, large magazines, concealed carry, etc, and even some police, such as the Department of Aviation police are unarmed, as less weapons means less violence, right?
nickn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:39 PM   #17

This cant keep going on like this.

At some point the international community will have to step in and take action.
725032 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:40 PM   #18
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Out of respect for the families, and as a matter of common decency, I have given time for mourning, prayer and a full investigation of the facts before commenting.
rdowns is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:40 PM   #19
citizenzen
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
I am a resident of Cook County, and that heap of s*** assault weapons/handguns ban Chicago did was the absolute worst thing they could of done.
Howe does a gun ban work in a city in the midst of a country awash in firearms?

I'd say it's an exercise in futility, more than anything else.
citizenzen is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:42 PM   #20
zioxide
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickn View Post
I am a resident of Cook County, and that heap of s*** assault weapons/handguns ban Chicago did was the absolute worst thing they could of done. I would absolutely love to legally force the idiots who wrote those nonsense laws to have to take a stroll though such communities as Englewood and Austin, and see what happens. Every gangster has a AK-47, even though they are of course banned, but nobody is going to talk about that... How funny that Chicago is one of the most dangerous cities in America, with a massive amount of murders every day, but yet has banned everything. No handguns, assault weapons, large magazines, concealed carry, etc...
They're banned in Chicago but not in many surrounding areas and it's not like there's border checkpoints to go city-to-city or state-to-state.

Gun nuts try to use these stats to prove that a gun ban doesn't work but all it shows is that you can't ban something in a specific area and expect things to disappear when they aren't banned 10 miles away and people can just drive down the street to get them.

What really needs to happen is new regulations at the federal level.
zioxide is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:42 PM   #21
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post

No, the international community can bugger off. We'll handle our own problems here, with our own laws, thank you.
eric/ is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:44 PM   #22
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
No, the international community can bugger off. We'll handle our own problems here, with our own laws, thank you.
I have to agree with you eric.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:47 PM   #23
nickn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by zioxide View Post
They're banned in Chicago but not in many surrounding areas and it's not like there's border checkpoints to go city-to-city or state-to-state.

Gun nuts try to use these stats to prove that a gun ban doesn't work but all it shows is that you can't ban something in a specific area and expect things to disappear when they aren't banned 10 miles away and people can just drive down the street to get them.

What really needs to happen is new regulations at the federal level.
I have seen a huge amount of illegal drugs all over the place. I propose they ban all of them, on a federal level. Oh wait, they already did, over 40 years ago... Look at how well that has worked... Why wont the exact same thing happen with weapons??? Nobody has been able to answer that for me...
nickn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:48 PM   #24
VulchR
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Don't be silly. Every country has crime. On balance the US is an excellent place to live. One has to remember that the US has more than a quarter of a billion people, so while these stories are horrible and upsetting, they are hardly the norm. Many people live their entire lives in the US without ever witnessing a crime or being affected directly by one.

In this regard, I find your comment ironic in that here in the UK there is a show about mass murderers and other violent criminals in Australia....

Last edited by VulchR; Jan 31, 2013 at 03:59 PM.
VulchR is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 03:49 PM   #25
tekno
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post

Why is it any other country's business?
tekno is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues