Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockerus

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 24, 2010
Hi,

I ordered a replacement battery from eBay which was non-OEM for Macbook Pro 17" mid-2009. It can't be charged. I contacted the seller and he said that I needed to reset the battery by draining it off completely and charging it full, then draining it off completely again. He also told me to reset SMC if the first solution didn't help.

My question is: Does every non-OEM Macbook battery need to be reset prior to use?

Thank you :confused:

Nov 28, 2010
located
Where did you get what exact battery? The 2009 MBPs do not come with user replaceable batteries, thus I thought, only Apple would provide replacements, as the market for non-Apple battery replacements might be too low due to the procedure of replacing the battery.

Maybe the battery is just defunct?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
There are lots of "junk" battery floating around. OK to hold u over until u get a new machine, otherwise...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I wouldn't trust or recommend any non-Apple battery, due to the number of problems reported with "knockoff" batteries. Also, there is no assurance that knockoff batteries have the same charging technology that Apple uses, involving the battery, the MagSafe adapter and the Mac's logic board.

Battery Replacement
Replacing the built-in battery in your MacBook Pro
Replacing the Battery in your MacBook Air
Intel-based Apple Portables: How to replace or service a built-in battery

The link below should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions. If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend you take the time to read it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.