Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:46 PM   #51
Pock
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hakone View Post
The statement here is that Apple has come to follow the market and not create it.
The statement here is that the article is a rumour, not fact. Apple might not even release a larger iPhone.
Pock is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:46 PM   #52
shurcooL
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
I've handled the Galaxy Note and thought it was too big, but a Galaxy sized iPhone might be something I can get used to.
I've handled a Galaxy Note 2 and I thought it was too small. I ended up buying iPad mini. It's slightly too big, but much better than the way too small iPhone 3GS I had before.
shurcooL is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:47 PM   #53
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

Or they could just go 1280x720 on a 4.5" display. Shrinking the bezel slightly it won't have to be significantly larger than the iPhone 5, may still be one-handed usable for many people, keeps the same 326 dpi so UI guidelines are unchanged and existing Retina iPhone wafers can continue to be used just cut larger and gives them the "HD" moniker while also providing more usable screen space which simply keeping the same resolution and scaling up doesn't do.
commander.data is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:47 PM   #54
Hurst
macrumors newbie

All part of a very long product plan

Does anyone really think Apple is going to react to the competition? Since when have they done that. I've been using Apple products since 1986.

Yes you will see a larger phone. But that's not reactive, its part of their product roadmap.

So will larger iPad formats for wall mounted touch screens in the kitchen. Before you get your larger screen formats for the living room.
Hurst is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:48 PM   #55
Art Mark
macrumors member

Confused

Count me as one who doesn't get the charm of using something the size of a large brick to use as a phone. I suspect it's a fad...One of the "Because we can..." things. Like a dessert topping that's also counter cleaner.
Art Mark is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:49 PM   #56
bushido
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerhx2 View Post
The iphone is Wayyyy too big as it is! I would prefer an iphone mini around the 3 to 3.2 incher. Would be less bulky and more portable. Plus no trouble carrying around in jean pockets.
sounds like a Smartphone isnt what u need tbh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art Mark View Post
Count me as one who doesn't get the charm of using something the size of a large brick to use as a phone. I suspect it's a fad...One of the "Because we can..." things. Like a dessert topping that's also counter cleaner.
thats the "problem" tho, its no longer just a phone, people use it for so much more. in fact i hate being on the phone, i hate being called and i hate calling. i dont even recall the last time i used my iphone to make an actual call ^^
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:50 PM   #57
nuckinfutz
macrumors 603

I don't think Apple will increase the phone and keep the same resolution.
While that makes a Developers job easier many seem to be doing fine crafting Android apps which come in a myriad of resolutions.

I'm betting that we'll have someone uncover the "real" next resolution in the bowels of iOS 7 code and it will remain at 300+ PPI
nuckinfutz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:50 PM   #58
newdeal
macrumors 68000

To me this only makes sense if they eliminate the home button because they clearly won't shrink it too much and if the screen is the same size as a samsung but the body is larger I don't think it will fly that well
newdeal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:50 PM   #59
jrswizzle
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
Does anyone really think Apple is going to react to the competition? Since when have they done that. I've been using Apple products since 1986.

Yes you will see a larger phone. But that's not reactive, its part of their product roadmap.

So will larger iPad formats for wall mounted touch screens in the kitchen. Before you get your larger screen formats for the living room.
*sigh* unfortunately there aren't very many people who think intelligently like this on these forums....

Why people continue to think Apple is so reactionary is beyond me....Apple likely had this planned out AT LEAST 2 years ago....but I suppose, consumers want to wish/hope that these companies are as fickle and short sighted as they are.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:51 PM   #60
0dev
macrumors 68040

I doubt Apple really will launch such a product but it'd be awesome if they did. It's obvious bigger smartphones are becoming more popular and they really are awesome. I'm sure Apple would do it properly and give it a decent PPI and it'd give them proper competition against the GS3 and Note 2. No matter what you think of Samsung you can't deny they're taking over the market something fierce.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:51 PM   #61
nazaar
macrumors 6502

I previously had a Samsung Galaxy Note and that was way to big... it didn't fit into any pockets and holding next to you face while talking just looked hilarious.

I prefer my iPhone 5 size... if I want something bigger I'll pull out my iPad mini
nazaar is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:52 PM   #62
robanga
macrumors 68000

I'd by an Apple Phablet. If the market truly wants big phones give them big phones. Steve's comment about telling customer's want they want is valid buy its also hyperbole. Certainly Apple listens to markets, trends and adapts.

An AppleTV screen
An AppleTV Appliance that utilizes Apps
More phones and continual tablet upgrades

...oh yeah and keep building Macs
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:52 PM   #63
phpmaven
macrumors 68020

A larger iPhone would sell like crazy! I for one would buy one in a hot second. I can see why some people like the smaller form factor, but they are certainly in the minority. I for one, hope this happens.
phpmaven is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:53 PM   #64
0dev
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst View Post
Does anyone really think Apple is going to react to the competition?
Well, yes. They're a business. They exist to make as much profit as possible. If the competition is making a lot of money selling big phones they will do the same. Just like how they jumped into the small tablet market because Android tablets were doing well there too.

Like or not Apple is threatened by Android. They didn't try and sue Android device makers into oblivion for nothing you know.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:55 PM   #65
manu chao
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
There is positively no chance in hell Apple will shoot their Retina initiative in head by introducing a 264 PPI phone. None. Sub 5" 1080p phones are coming soon and from a number of manufacturers. I don't know what pixel density that works out to, but it is higher than the current iPhone by a good margin. You don't answer that with a new phone with giant pixels by comparison. That's backward progress, and will get the device panned.

If we get a larger screen option, PPI is going up or at the very least staying the same.
You mean there is no chance that Apple would introduce an iPad mini without a Retina display?
manu chao is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:55 PM   #66
cfs112
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
Well, yes. They're a business. They exist to make as much profit as possible. If the competition is making a lot of money selling big phones they will do the same. Just like how they jumped into the small tablet market because Android tablets were doing well there too.

Like or not Apple is threatened by Android. They didn't try and sue Android device makers into oblivion for nothing you know.
I agree, and actually, I think the more options we have as Apple buyers the better for us.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:56 PM   #67
Dangerzone
macrumors member

I'm fine with the iPhone 4 or 5 screen size. If they offer a little bit bigger, I'll think about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnside View Post
If only Apple could get people laid.
http://cupidtino.com/
Dangerzone is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:56 PM   #68
macsrcool1234
macrumors 6502a

This is all well and good but its the software that's starting to become lackluster...
macsrcool1234 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:57 PM   #69
kjs862
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by shurcooL View Post
Larger screens are popular PRECISELY because you can fit more information and content there. Not because of larger pixels.

This would be so useless.

Also, 16:9 sucks for phones. It's too narrow in portrait and short in landscape. See how narrow it feels?

I don't like 16 by 9 either on a phone. Feels awkward in the hand.
kjs862 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:57 PM   #70
ka-spot
macrumors 6502

it make sense indeed..

..for a small iPhone. maybe "iPhone minus" ?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:58 PM   #71
willwade26
macrumors newbie

Ha! Remember this gallery making fun of the size of the Galaxy Note?

I really hope they don't make a 5" iPhone. I wouldn't mind a slightly larger 4.3" one though.
willwade26 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:59 PM   #72
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

The Galaxy Note II on the front page of MR?

Revolution?

;-)

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:59 PM   #73
AllenSSD
macrumors newbie

Add the phone app & capabilities to the iPad Mini and lets call it a day.
AllenSSD is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:00 PM   #74
daneoni
macrumors G4

Don't want anything above 4.5" i want a phone not a phablet.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:01 PM   #75
Wiesenlooser
macrumors 6502

this looks ridiculous.
Wiesenlooser is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion