Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:07 PM   #1
MrBlobby
macrumors newbie

Apple TV 3, iTunes home sharing and buffering problem

Hopefully I can explain my problem coherently. I've searched the forum and couldn't find an exact answer, so here goes.

I have an Mac Mini which I use solely for streaming content to my Apple TV 3 via iTunes. I'm running on WiFi with average speed of about 25-30mb/s, using my dual-band Time Capsule as a router.

Most of my music and video/movie content streams just fine. However, there are isolated video files that buffer endlessly. For example, most videos, I hit play on Apple TV and in a few seconds, voila, it's off and running. However, a select few simply get hung up buffering, and it literally takes 40 minutes or more to start playing a two-hour movie.

Note this is all streaming from my Mac Mini (not downloading or streaming from the iTunes store). Also, the movies that get hung up buffering are a mix of files I've re-encoded using Handbrake, and some I've simply wrapped in a new m4v container via Subler. (Note that I've optimized all my files done via Subler as well.)

At first I thought it was large file sizes, but then some very large files I have still stream flawlessly. For example, I have a 30gb file of Lawrence of Arabia done via Handbrake that fires up immediately. Then, I have another 14gb file of Stand By Me, also re-encoded via Handbrake, that gets hung up ad nauseum.

So, my question is, assuming there are no problems with my network (which I would assume not, as again, I can immediately stream a 30gb file), are there any other parameters to Apple TV that may cause it to buffer? For example, bitrate of the video, or something with audio and/or subtitle tracks? And is there any sort of settings in Handbrake that should be set then to ensure it plays back via Apple TV without this endless buffering?

Thanks much for any help anyone can provide!
MrBlobby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 19, 2013, 07:12 PM   #2
mic j
macrumors 68000

Take the problem files into Subler and Optimize them.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater