Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:04 PM   #1
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Power Mac G5 with 2.5'' SATA Laptop drives?

Hello guys,

So I just managed to buy a Power Mac G5 1.8GHz Dual with 1.25GB RAM for 49.00. Its in pretty good 9/10 condition, the only issue is, is that it doesn't have a hard drive (removed for legal protection)

What I was wanting to know was this.

I have a 500GB WD Scorpio Black and a 320GB Hitachi both are 2.5'' SATA hard drives, which were at different stages used in my 13'' MacBook Pro. Now they are just sat in a box unused. Would these drives work and mount in the G5 without issue? I understand that the connection interface is the same for both laptop and desktop SATA connections, so I assume it would be okay, has anyone tried this before?

much appreciated and thanks a lot

Ryan
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:06 PM   #2
Intell
macrumors P6

They'd work without a problem. The only difference is that they won't be secured, but as long as you don't bump or move the G5 when their on, it should be fine.
Last edited by Intell; Yesterday at 3:16 AM.
Intell is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 05:11 PM   #3
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intell View Post
They'd work without a problem. The only difference is that they won't be secured, but as long as you don't bump or move the G5 when their on, it should be fine.
thanks a lot. the scorpio black was one awesome drive in my MBP compared to the stock one, so it should be pretty decent in the G5.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:52 PM   #4
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

The boot drive for my G5 tower is a 2.5" SSD. Didn't even bother with a mounting bracket [be careful you don't strain the SATA cable if you're not using a mounting bracket.

I've also used a 2.5" mechanical HD in there as a boot drive for a month without a hitch, again, no mounting bracket [though I'd probably advise one for a mechanical drive.]

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs