Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Hello guys,

So I just managed to buy a Power Mac G5 1.8GHz Dual with 1.25GB RAM for £49.00. Its in pretty good 9/10 condition, the only issue is, is that it doesn't have a hard drive (removed for legal protection)

What I was wanting to know was this.

I have a 500GB WD Scorpio Black and a 320GB Hitachi both are 2.5'' SATA hard drives, which were at different stages used in my 13'' MacBook Pro. Now they are just sat in a box unused. Would these drives work and mount in the G5 without issue? I understand that the connection interface is the same for both laptop and desktop SATA connections, so I assume it would be okay, has anyone tried this before?

much appreciated and thanks a lot

Ryan

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
They'd work without a problem. The only difference is that they won't be secured, but as long as you don't bump or move the G5 when their on, it should be fine.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
They'd work without a problem. The only difference is that they won't be secured, but as long as you don't bump or move the G5 when their on, it should be fine.

thanks a lot. the scorpio black was one awesome drive in my MBP compared to the stock one, so it should be pretty decent in the G5.

Jethryn Freyman

macrumors 68020
Aug 9, 2007
Australia
The boot drive for my G5 tower is a 2.5" SSD. Didn't even bother with a mounting bracket [be careful you don't strain the SATA cable if you're not using a mounting bracket.

I've also used a 2.5" mechanical HD in there as a boot drive for a month without a hitch, again, no mounting bracket [though I'd probably advise one for a mechanical drive.]

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.