Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:43 PM   #76
sulpfiction
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnumOP View Post
Adding HBO Go is almost pointless. You can only get HBO Go if you subscribe to a TV package that includes HBO. So, this will in no way help any of us "cut the cord."

And... by the way, the main article states that only Netflix and Hulu are available. This is not true. You can also stream sporting even from several leagues.
Ur statement makes no sense. Obviously if u don't have HBO, HBO go would be "pointless" That's like me saying heated mirrors on a Ferrari are pointless for those of us that don't have Ferrari's.

I have HBO, therefore HBO Go is awesome for me. And Apple TV incorporating it is even more awesome.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:45 PM   #77
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
Right, and record companies back in 2003 (when the iTunes Store launched with a measly 200,000 tracks total) were getting their bread buttered from physical CD sales.
The music industry would love a redo on that deal. Apple was the BIG winner there and now has domination over even how that industry prices their products. The video side has the benefit of hindsight. They don't want to replicate that scenario and find themselves as under Apple's domination. Why do we all think these deals are taking so long to materialize? It's not like the individual players like HBO do NOT want to maximize their revenues/distribution. They have learned from their music cousins' errors.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:50 PM   #78
Shasta McNasty
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by canman4PM View Post
My cable company gives me HBO on demand.
Not everyone has a cable box in all rooms of their house. I don't, so now I will be able to watch it from the tv in my room.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:52 PM   #79
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
There's a convincing argument to be made to HBO that they could make MORE money by teaming up with Apple. It's up to Apple to prove it and convince them.
Apple would need to show them- and guarantee- the money... A reverse of a deal like Sprint struck with Apple to get the iPhone. Netflix pays up big time to strike the deals they get. Apple has the cash to do that too... But doesn't seem to be interested in doing that.

"Proving it" it would be easy if Apple would show them the money such that the risk of the wrath of the cable industry would be mitigated. And even if they would... What kerps a Comcast from raising broadband rates for the "higher bandwidth" users such as "these video streamers"?

I love the dream of it... But foresee the very real issues.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:57 PM   #80
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by savar View Post
Watching mainstream American sports on the internet is atrocious... largely balkanized, independent services and they still black out local games! I tried NHL Center Ice a few years ago and it was $150-200, very poor quality, and I couldn't watch my home team.
MLB.TV is basically useless to me. I'm in the region that blacks out Rangers games, and since I watch probably 95% of the games (or part of games), cable is mandatory.

And that's fine. I watch a ton of football and baseball that it warrants it. My TV picture is excellent, and I believe that streaming everything would be detrimental to this. And I watch enough TV on enough different channels that I don't feel like I'm getting screwed too badly.

Last edited by Bill Killer; Jan 31, 2013 at 08:02 PM.
Bill Killer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:57 PM   #81
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by flux73 View Post
Not if Apple subsidizes the changeover. I could see Tim Cook promising to cover any lost revenues in cable subscribers with the subsidies decreasing as the revenues from Apple TV viewers ramp up. This way, they remove all risk from HBO. There's nothing for them to lose, and a MUCH broader audience to access.
That is how it would have to be done. And if so, where's Apple been? It's not like the cash hoard is just showing up now. And we've seen these cable tv killer rumors for what... about 3+ years now?

This is basically how Netflix has been doing their deals for several years now, so it's not like it's a new idea that only Apple could innovate now.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:58 PM   #82
PDXoPDX
macrumors member

Cool, but when will we see HBO Go on its own without a cable subscrip? I'd buy an Apple TV just for that. Until then I'll stick with torrents.
PDXoPDX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:58 PM   #83
Ferazel
macrumors member

I hate cable and hate how HBO is throttled by cable companies. Otherwise I'd be happy to pay for their content if I didn't get stuck with the rest of the crap ton of shows I would never watch.

I wonder if Apple could just buy one out and get able to host the content however they choose.

Cable conglomerates are horribly huge. I think if they were to buy one Dish Network is at a 16.5 Billion market cap. I think that's the smallest one I can think of.
Ferazel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:01 PM   #84
David Sharpe
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDaKat View Post
The only thing that would make this cool was if non-cable users could "order" a subscription a la carte from HBO, like you do with Hulu or Netfilx. If its just HBO Go, who cares?
Rumor is, that HBO is planning to this very thing to combat Netflix original programming.
David Sharpe is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:03 PM   #85
LimeiBook86
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to LimeiBook86 Send a message via MSN to LimeiBook86 Send a message via Yahoo to LimeiBook86
FINALLY.

I'll never understand how long this stuff takes. The Xbox has it, Roku has it, but not the AppleTV or the PS3... hopefully it doesn't take too long!
LimeiBook86 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:05 PM   #86
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimeiBook86 View Post
FINALLY.

I'll never understand how long this stuff takes. The Xbox has it, Roku has it, but not the AppleTV or the PS3... hopefully it doesn't take too long!
Apple, I have to imagine, is very worried about cannibalizing sales from the iTunes store. That's why we haven't seen Google Play or Amazon Prime Video on there.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:05 PM   #87
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferazel View Post
I hate cable and hate how HBO is throttled by cable companies. Otherwise I'd be happy to pay for their content if I didn't get stuck with the rest of the crap ton of shows I would never watch.
Been able to do this on TV for years now. ITunes has HBO programming ready for rent. We just don't want to pay that much for it. We want it to cost about what it costs as part of our cable subscription (about $15/month) or less, without the cable TV subscription.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:06 PM   #88
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by HobeSoundDarryl View Post
Been able to do this on TV for years now. ITunes has HBO programming ready for rent. We just don't want to pay that much for it. We want it to cost about what it costs as part of our cable subscription (about $15/month) or less, without the cable TV subscription.
Torrent.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:06 PM   #89
Dr. Scott
macrumors member

Screw HBO. Where's the damn Safari?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Fox View Post
On your Phone/iPad/Mac that you can Mirror right up to the TV.........
...because everyone owns apple products... I swear, do people even think before they respond?
Dr. Scott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:08 PM   #90
PDXoPDX
macrumors member

Quote:
...while still giving the required satt or cable company their sub fee too. Some people seem to be overlooking that little detail in the story. It's not kill the cable bill and get HBO on TV. It's keep paying for cable and add Apple on top.
PS3 (or insert other console of choice) + PS3 Media Server (free download) + Netflix Streaming + Kickass Torrents = Cable cut for ongoing fees of $7.99/mo. You get the convenience of on demand and supplement newer content with torrents and live streams (for sports). Voila.
PDXoPDX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:08 PM   #91
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Scott View Post
Screw HBO. Where's the damn Safari?
Why would you want to browse on Safari through an Apple TV?
Bill Killer is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:14 PM   #92
Dr. Scott
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
Why would you want to browse on Safari through an Apple TV?
Why wouldn't I? Pretend theres this crazy world where not everyone had a iPhone or a Mac/PC with Safari. Get it yet?
Dr. Scott is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:15 PM   #93
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Scott View Post
Why wouldn't I? Pretend theres this crazy world where not everyone had a iPhone or a Mac/PC with Safari. Get it yet?
It's just clearly such a low priority to legitimize the Apple TV.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:15 PM   #94
heisenberg123
macrumors 603

content is great but my biggest complaint about the ATV is how it displays your movie library
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:17 PM   #95
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by heisenberg123 View Post
content is great but my biggest complaint about the ATV is how it displays your movie library
Agreed, but regarding TV Shows. I'd rather Apple TV group shows together, as opposed to each season being its own option.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:18 PM   #96
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Killer View Post
Torrent.
If someone is OK with that option, how can the cost of this service ever get low enough to compete?
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:19 PM   #97
Boomish69
macrumors regular

HBO would be very cool especially for UK viewers like me, but I wonder if Tim Cook has the charm like Steve had to get these major players on board..
Boomish69 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:20 PM   #98
TOYSTER17
macrumors regular

What's better is using the login/password from a family member. Just as I do with Hulu plus.
TOYSTER17 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:20 PM   #99
HobeSoundDarryl
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXoPDX View Post
PS3 (or insert other console of choice) + PS3 Media Server (free download) + Netflix Streaming + Kickass Torrents = Cable cut for ongoing fees of $7.99/mo. You get the convenience of on demand and supplement newer content with torrents and live streams (for sports). Voila.
If the masses go that way, the creation of great new content will end. We all can't steal everything and yet expect more of what is being stolen to just keep on coming.
HobeSoundDarryl is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:22 PM   #100
Bill Killer
macrumors 6502

Quote:
If someone is OK with that option, how can the cost of this service ever get low enough to compete?
Both Netflix and Hulu have figured it out, in my case.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion