Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:15 PM   #1
Futurix
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Question 10.8.3

Any clues about the release of 10.8.3?
I really need official Windows 8 support for work...
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:23 PM   #2
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkesboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurix View Post
Any clues about the release of 10.8.3?
I really need official Windows 8 support for work...
10.8.3 won't bring Windows 8 support.
Senseotech is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
10.8.3 won't bring Windows 8 support.
Wrong.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...8#post16720628
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:25 PM   #4
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkesboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
Wrong.
Oh really? And what exactly is your source for this?
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:28 PM   #5
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
Oh really? And what exactly is your source for this?
See above.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:30 PM   #6
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkesboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
See above.
Yup, a single post on a single forum by a single user about something that if true would've been picked up by countless blogs and other sources? Sounds legit man.
Senseotech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
Yup, a single post on a single forum by a single user about something that if true would've been picked up by countless blogs and other sources? Sounds legit man.
Then switch from www.macrumors.com to www.macfacts.com! Thank you very much!
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkesboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
I stand pleasantly corrected, though your tone was fairly rude. Anyway, Boot Camp Assistant goes from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2 and the language inside/with the new installation guide PDF has been updated to note Windows 8 support. Sadly, the requisite Windows 8 driver packs aren't on the server yet, as my 2012 MBA reports only being able to install Windows 7, and downloads the old driver pack.
Senseotech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 08:56 PM   #9
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601
 
Mr. Retrofire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: www.emiliana.cl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
I stand pleasantly corrected, though your tone was fairly rude.
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...7#post16718437

;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
...Sadly, the requisite Windows 8 driver packs aren't on the server yet, as my 2012 MBA reports only being able to install Windows 7, and downloads the old driver pack.
Win 8 is fairly new, not? And Win 8 in a VM is not an option!?

I heard that many Win 7 drivers work under Win 8. Microsoft & Ars Technica have some additional information, regarding drivers for Win 8 and Mac-hardware.
__________________

“Only the dead have seen the end of the war.”
-- Plato --
Mr. Retrofire is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:03 PM   #10
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkesboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthre...7#post16718437

;-)


Win 8 is fairly new, not? And Win 8 in a VM is not an option!?

I heard that many Win 7 drivers work under Win 8. Microsoft & Ars Technica have some additional information, regarding drivers for Win 8 and Mac-hardware.
At least you're honest, I can appreciate that Win8 in a VM is totally an option, one that I've taken but apparently OP doesn't want. Also, the Win7 driver pack works perfectly, but the Boot Camp Control Panel is horribly broken in Windows 8, so its not so much a hardware issue, but a software problem. My Boot Camp Win8 functions decently, but trackpad settings are reset on every reboot and the Control Panel can't be used for brightness and startup disk changes.
Senseotech is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Ledgem
macrumors 6502a
 
Ledgem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Northeast USA
Wow, Windows 8 support required for work? I thought Windows 8 adoption was dragging. Out of curiosity, what requires Windows 8 that can't be handled by Windows 7?
Ledgem is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 09:24 PM   #12
Futurix
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
And Win 8 in a VM is not an option!?
Unfortunately not, as I need to run software that requires access to "bare" (real, non virtualised) hardware.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Out of curiosity, what requires Windows 8 that can't be handled by Windows 7?
Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 app development.
Futurix is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:36 PM   #13
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkesboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futurix View Post
Unfortunately not, as I need to run software that requires access to "bare" (real, non virtualised) hardware.

----------



Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 app development.
What kind of Windows development are you using that won't work in a VM? A modern VM is quite close to "bare metal" in terms of compatibility, and considering if you're coding for WP8 you're using a simulator anyway, I'm not sure you've looked into this enough.
Senseotech is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:01 PM   #14
byujakedmb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Soooo, any clues as to when 10.8.3 will be available to the public? Maybe a friend of a friend of a developer could enlighten us?
byujakedmb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 08:02 PM   #15
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by byujakedmb View Post
Soooo, any clues as to when 10.8.3 will be available to the public? Maybe a friend of a friend of a developer could enlighten us?
Nobody knows.
chrfr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 06:43 AM   #16
Futurix
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senseotech View Post
What kind of Windows development are you using that won't work in a VM? A modern VM is quite close to "bare metal" in terms of compatibility, and considering if you're coding for WP8 you're using a simulator anyway, I'm not sure you've looked into this enough.
I don't have any intention to run Windows in VM - I do a bit of 3D development where the performance is dire in VMs, and WP8 simulator is a real VM in itself (uses Microsoft's HyperV) so is unusably slow inside another VM.

I'm just want an official support in Mountain Lion so I can throw away my ugly Dell box I currently use for Windows and move it to my Mac mini
Futurix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 06:08 PM   #17
byujakedmb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrfr View Post
Nobody knows.
That's possible, but unlikely. Either way, I asked if there were any clues. Things like historical patterns, "my best friend's cousin said", etc.. After all, this is macrumors.com, right? Smart ass comments like yours deter friendly conversations and keep new users like myself in the shadows. I am a first time mac user. I don't know much about how Apple does things. To me, a 9th beta build would indicate that the full consumer version of osx 10.8.3 is near. But maybe Apple usually releases 20, or 30, or 40 beta builds before releasing the final version. I have no idea. That is why I joined the macrumors community: to learn from people who I assume have a lot better clue about all things Mac than myself.
byujakedmb is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 07:08 PM   #18
cmChimera
macrumors 68000
 
cmChimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by byujakedmb View Post
That's possible, but unlikely. Either way, I asked if there were any clues. Things like historical patterns, "my best friend's cousin said", etc.. After all, this is macrumors.com, right? Smart ass comments like yours deter friendly conversations and keep new users like myself in the shadows. I am a first time mac user. I don't know much about how Apple does things. To me, a 9th beta build would indicate that the full consumer version of osx 10.8.3 is near. But maybe Apple usually releases 20, or 30, or 40 beta builds before releasing the final version. I have no idea. That is why I joined the macrumors community: to learn from people who I assume have a lot better clue about all things Mac than myself.
He wasn't being a smart ass. We don't know. I imagine it will be very soon, as the 9th beta came out recently, but I thought that a couple weeks ago as well. There's no telling.
cmChimera is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 08:09 PM   #19
chrfr
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by byujakedmb View Post
Smart ass comments like yours
That wasn't a smartass comment. Prerelease builds are issued and tested. The results of those tests determine whether more builds are needed. Sometimes software will be about to ship when something is found at the last minute, even if there have been 9, 20, or 30 prereleases.
chrfr is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:03 PM   #20
byujakedmb
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Oh ok. So no one knows? Thanks for clearing that up. Again. Why does everyone feel the need to answer a question I didn't ask. If anyone has any clues as to when it will be released, feel free to let me in (again looking for clues, not the year/month/date/hour of release). If you don't know, join the club (and feel free to tell me you dont know, because apparently that's trendy).
byujakedmb is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Senseotech
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Wilkesboro, NC
Send a message via Skype™ to Senseotech
Quote:
Originally Posted by byujakedmb View Post
Oh ok. So no one knows? Thanks for clearing that up. Again. Why does everyone feel the need to answer a question I didn't ask. If anyone has any clues as to when it will be released, feel free to let me in (again looking for clues, not the year/month/date/hour of release). If you don't know, join the club (and feel free to tell me you dont know, because apparently that's trendy).
What we're trying to make you understand is that there are no clues. Number of betas isn't a clue.
Senseotech is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:41 PM   #22
jasphair
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
This site may or may not have any merit, nor do I speak any Italian (and could be completely missing the translation), but this appears to reference February 5th (5-febbraio-2013)?.

http://www.applerumors.it/2013/01/26...febbraio-2013/

Whether or not this is credible... well...
jasphair is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 11:26 PM   #23
BlaqkAudio
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by byujakedmb View Post
Oh ok. So no one knows? Thanks for clearing that up. Again. Why does everyone feel the need to answer a question I didn't ask. If anyone has any clues as to when it will be released, feel free to let me in (again looking for clues, not the year/month/date/hour of release). If you don't know, join the club (and feel free to tell me you dont know, because apparently that's trendy).
You asked if anyone knows any clues and everyone answered no. I don't get what's so hard to understand. The only way we'll know 10.8.3 is close to release is when Apple releases a GM build to devs, which they haven't yet. Pro tip: if you actually want to learn, stop being so hostile to everyone who's trying to answer your question(s).
__________________
2011 15" Macbook Pro, 2.0 GHz i7 (10.10 PB 4); 64 GB VZW iPhone 6 (8.0.2); 32 GB iPad mini Wi-Fi (8.0.2)
BlaqkAudio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 06:16 AM   #24
cmChimera
macrumors 68000
 
cmChimera's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by byujakedmb View Post
Oh ok. So no one knows? Thanks for clearing that up. Again. Why does everyone feel the need to answer a question I didn't ask. If anyone has any clues as to when it will be released, feel free to let me in (again looking for clues, not the year/month/date/hour of release). If you don't know, join the club (and feel free to tell me you dont know, because apparently that's trendy).
Yeah we really care about your question now.
cmChimera is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2013, 08:33 AM   #25
jasphair
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
I wonder if the release WAS slated for today (based on what the Italian site suggests), but this recent "File:///" bug has delayed the release while Apple works to address this. Meh, just as possible theory.

And someone had a good point, we haven't reached a 'GM' release yet, so unless Apple plans to skip and go right to release, there's still at least one more dev build coming in the pipe...
jasphair is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:27 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC