Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
I stand pleasantly corrected, though your tone was fairly rude. Anyway, Boot Camp Assistant goes from 5.0.1 to 5.0.2 and the language inside/with the new installation guide PDF has been updated to note Windows 8 support. Sadly, the requisite Windows 8 driver packs aren't on the server yet, as my 2012 MBA reports only being able to install Windows 7, and downloads the old driver pack.

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I stand pleasantly corrected, though your tone was fairly rude.
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16718437#post16718437

;-)

...Sadly, the requisite Windows 8 driver packs aren't on the server yet, as my 2012 MBA reports only being able to install Windows 7, and downloads the old driver pack.
Win 8 is fairly new, not? And Win 8 in a VM is not an option!?

I heard that many Win 7 drivers work under Win 8. Microsoft & Ars Technica have some additional information, regarding drivers for Win 8 and Mac-hardware.

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16718437#post16718437

;-)

Win 8 is fairly new, not? And Win 8 in a VM is not an option!?

I heard that many Win 7 drivers work under Win 8. Microsoft & Ars Technica have some additional information, regarding drivers for Win 8 and Mac-hardware.

At least you're honest, I can appreciate that :p Win8 in a VM is totally an option, one that I've taken but apparently OP doesn't want. Also, the Win7 driver pack works perfectly, but the Boot Camp Control Panel is horribly broken in Windows 8, so its not so much a hardware issue, but a software problem. My Boot Camp Win8 functions decently, but trackpad settings are reset on every reboot and the Control Panel can't be used for brightness and startup disk changes.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Wow, Windows 8 support required for work? I thought Windows 8 adoption was dragging. Out of curiosity, what requires Windows 8 that can't be handled by Windows 7?

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Unfortunately not, as I need to run software that requires access to "bare" (real, non virtualised) hardware.

----------

Windows 8 and Windows Phone 8 app development.

What kind of Windows development are you using that won't work in a VM? A modern VM is quite close to "bare metal" in terms of compatibility, and considering if you're coding for WP8 you're using a simulator anyway, I'm not sure you've looked into this enough.

byujakedmb

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Soooo, any clues as to when 10.8.3 will be available to the public? Maybe a friend of a friend of a developer could enlighten us?

Futurix

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 22, 2011
Strasbourg, France
What kind of Windows development are you using that won't work in a VM? A modern VM is quite close to "bare metal" in terms of compatibility, and considering if you're coding for WP8 you're using a simulator anyway, I'm not sure you've looked into this enough.

I don't have any intention to run Windows in VM - I do a bit of 3D development where the performance is dire in VMs, and WP8 simulator is a real VM in itself (uses Microsoft's HyperV) so is unusably slow inside another VM.

I'm just want an official support in Mountain Lion so I can throw away my ugly Dell box I currently use for Windows and move it to my Mac mini :D

byujakedmb

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Nobody knows.

That's possible, but unlikely. Either way, I asked if there were any clues. Things like historical patterns, "my best friend's cousin said", etc.. After all, this is macrumors.com, right? Smart ass comments like yours deter friendly conversations and keep new users like myself in the shadows. I am a first time mac user. I don't know much about how Apple does things. To me, a 9th beta build would indicate that the full consumer version of osx 10.8.3 is near. But maybe Apple usually releases 20, or 30, or 40 beta builds before releasing the final version. I have no idea. That is why I joined the macrumors community: to learn from people who I assume have a lot better clue about all things Mac than myself.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
That's possible, but unlikely. Either way, I asked if there were any clues. Things like historical patterns, "my best friend's cousin said", etc.. After all, this is macrumors.com, right? Smart ass comments like yours deter friendly conversations and keep new users like myself in the shadows. I am a first time mac user. I don't know much about how Apple does things. To me, a 9th beta build would indicate that the full consumer version of osx 10.8.3 is near. But maybe Apple usually releases 20, or 30, or 40 beta builds before releasing the final version. I have no idea. That is why I joined the macrumors community: to learn from people who I assume have a lot better clue about all things Mac than myself.
He wasn't being a smart ass. We don't know. I imagine it will be very soon, as the 9th beta came out recently, but I thought that a couple weeks ago as well. There's no telling.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Smart ass comments like yours

That wasn't a smartass comment. Prerelease builds are issued and tested. The results of those tests determine whether more builds are needed. Sometimes software will be about to ship when something is found at the last minute, even if there have been 9, 20, or 30 prereleases.

byujakedmb

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Oh ok. So no one knows? Thanks for clearing that up. Again. Why does everyone feel the need to answer a question I didn't ask. If anyone has any clues as to when it will be released, feel free to let me in (again looking for clues, not the year/month/date/hour of release). If you don't know, join the club (and feel free to tell me you dont know, because apparently that's trendy).

Senseotech

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2009
NC
Oh ok. So no one knows? Thanks for clearing that up. Again. Why does everyone feel the need to answer a question I didn't ask. If anyone has any clues as to when it will be released, feel free to let me in (again looking for clues, not the year/month/date/hour of release). If you don't know, join the club (and feel free to tell me you dont know, because apparently that's trendy).

What we're trying to make you understand is that there are no clues. Number of betas isn't a clue.

BlaqkAudio

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2008
New York
You asked if anyone knows any clues and everyone answered no. I don't get what's so hard to understand. The only way we'll know 10.8.3 is close to release is when Apple releases a GM build to devs, which they haven't yet. Pro tip: if you actually want to learn, stop being so hostile to everyone who's trying to answer your question(s).

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010

Yeah we really care about your question now.

jasphair

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2008
I wonder if the release WAS slated for today (based on what the Italian site suggests), but this recent "File:///" bug has delayed the release while Apple works to address this. Meh, just as possible theory.

And someone had a good point, we haven't reached a 'GM' release yet, so unless Apple plans to skip and go right to release, there's still at least one more dev build coming in the pipe...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.