Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
So while Apple continues to make commercials that are just so effing boring. Samsung continues to go for the funny bone. This time taking a shot at the patent trolls.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I have to say that IMO, the Samsung commercials (and the Surface commercials, or Droid commercials too) do absolutely nothing for me. They do not in any way show the product and how it can effectively help me in my work flow, or enhance my enjoyment. Zip. Nada.

The Apple commercials however, almost always show the product in action and demonstrate how it works in its simplicity. To me, there is no comparison. Give me the Apple commercials, not somebody clicking a keyboard on a Surface, or making fun of people in line.

The others may be funny, clever, or whatever (debatable), but they in no way entice me to buy the product.

KnightMan

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
I like the actors they picked but not the ad.

This is just the teaser, we'll have to wait till the Super Bowl to see the actual ad they come up with. Should be funny given the actors. :D

Last edited:

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
This is just the teaser, we'll have to wait till the The Big Game to see the actual ad they come up with. Should be funny given the actors. :D

You can't say those two words. Don't forget it's the 50-1's vs the Baltimore Black Birds in the Big Game. :D

----------

I have to say that IMO, the Samsung commercials (and the Surface commercials, or Droid commercials too) do absolutely nothing for me. They do not in any way show the product and how it can effectively help me in my work flow, or enhance my enjoyment. Zip. Nada.

The Apple commercials however, almost always show the product in action and demonstrate how it works in its simplicity. To me, there is no comparison. Give me the Apple commercials, not somebody clicking a keyboard on a Surface, or making fun of people in line.

The others may be funny, clever, or whatever (debatable), but they in no way entice me to buy the product.

Totally agree Dawg but they aren't selling anything. The purpose of a commercial like that is to make you like the company so you can later buy one of their products.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
Totally agree Dawg but they aren't selling anything. The purpose of a commercial like that is to make you like the company so you can later buy one of their products.

+100% -- except it doesn't make _me_ like the company at all. Yeah, Apple certainly did this sort of marketing, but Samsung went and ripped that off, and focused exclusively on the vacuous side of it.

Engineering a fashion trend: Gag me with a spoon ...

Truefan31

macrumors 68040
Aug 25, 2012
well apple used to do light/funny ads, like the windows vs. apple guys, showing the windows guy as a boring middleaged guy vs. a young, trendy guy representing apple.

And when i see samsung ads, i see the s beam at work, multi windows at work, stuff that shows new features. Apple shows me a do not disturb feature. yay

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Kudos to them for using Bob Odenkirk to play the lawyer! Love that guy.

I think it's a funny ad, I always marveled at the insane Super Bowl trademarks. Like if I say superbowl on another network, the network actually airing it will somehow loose a viewer.

kdarling

macrumors P6
Analytics firm Visible Measures released its list of the ten most viral tech ads of 2012, and Samsung's Galaxy S3 The Next Big Thing commercial ranked at the top of the list (71 million views)

Samsung got four of the top ten, and Apple only got one ad (iPhone 5 intro - 18 million views) on the list.

All top ten can be seen here on the Visible Measures website.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
More eyes are on Samsung now than ever. There was a study that revealed Samsung (along with Apple) have become household names.

Samsung can really hit it out of the park this year with the S4 and later on with the Note III. It'll be very exciting times... Time will tell.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012

I'm sorry but, Apple is running commercials touting noise cancellation..... Touting a feature I had in my Nexus One 4 years ago doesn't exactly move the meter for me..

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV

Not totally true. They showed you NFC and how it can play video while doing something else and how to share photos with others.

Apple had a commercial that only showed you that the iPhone can take a panoramic picture . Are you saying that alone sold you on a phone? :rolleyes:

Really i expected you to say nothing else about the Samsung commercials since you are so biased but ill give you that , that one showed nothing. Still, it isnt any different than Apples Mac vs PC commercials where they showed nothing as well.

What I want to know is how Paul Rudd looks so damn young? He's 43 and looks 10 years younger than that, he just never ages.

EASY!!!!! Marvin Rosenberg MD. 233 rodeo Drive...plastic surgeon :rolleyes:

----------

I am a straight man, but I would totally take Paul Rudd out to dinner and a movie.

I'm very straight too, I'll take you out too :rolleyes::D

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
.... Really i expected you to say nothing else about the Samsung commercials since you are so biased...

Biased? So, having an opinion that doesn't align with your own makes me biased?
Perhaps I just have a different opinion on how the commercials operate
I think some of them are clever or cute, but I don't find them compelling

I happen to own a Galaxy S3, it is my work phone
I also happen to own an iPhone 5, my personal phone
So I have used both a good bit

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
May have some potential but it seems kind of silly to build an ad campaign, especially during the SB about something the vast majority of people won't know anything about. The funny will be lost on most.

That said, why do their ads never focus on the product and what it can do for you?

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
May have some potential but it seems kind of silly to build an ad campaign, especially during the SB about something the vast majority of people won't know anything about. The funny will be lost on most.

That said, why do their ads never focus on the product and what it can do for you?

Many of their S3 ads and Note II ads show off what the phone can do.

This is a teaser, folks. Please look up what a teaser does. Hint: It gets people talking and aware that something is coming... like what we're doing in this thread! Samsung is now a household name, according to a study did late last year. If Samsung teases something at the Superbowl, where millions are watching, it'll get people's attention.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I feel like I can safely say that 80% if not more of the population will not understand the reference they are going for.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.