Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:47 AM   #51
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Yup.

Honestly, as an apple fan, it makes me sad to see those iPhone ads. They're really telling that the competition has really moved ahead and beyond. No other company, as far as I've seen, is advertising features that have been around for ages. Panoramic camera, noise cancellation, a thinner phone with a larger screen... It's just sad stuff. None of that is even remotely new in the smartphone world.

I guess apple's gotta find someway to let people know that they've caught up.
Yet the average user doesn't know other phones have this. IMO they are doing what advertising is meant to do. To ADVERTISE and make the average user aware of the feature. Sounds text book.

To us (those who browse these forums and read up on the device) the ad need not apply because we already know what it has.

And lets not kid ourselves, you are no apple fan. I've read through your posts and you are Samsung fan. No problem in that. I like Samsung products, just be honest.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:17 AM   #52
Truefan31
macrumors 65816

I won't dispute the iphone has a good build quality, imho better than Samsung for the moment. It just seems like Samsung is being much more innovative, taking more risk than Apple.

Let's be honest here, Apple commercials are a joke. For everyone bashing NFC and S-beam (i dunno why, these are used internationally pretty frequently), the Passbook is such a waste of space it's laughable.

And why shouldn't Samsung go after Apple, it seems to be working. 9% growth of U.S. market share, where Apple lost 2%. They're showing things in their commercials that Apple doesn't have.

I'm pretty sure Apple spent a good chunk of time on their Ipad Mini release bringing up the Nexus 7, so..........

competition is good for all of us, it will force both companies to continue to innovate. The fact that more iphone 4s/4 were sold than the 5 should say that Apple needs and should bring the real innovation in the next iphone.
Truefan31 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:05 AM   #53
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
I don't think it's creative at all. They focus all their ad work around Apple. Apple focus on their features/design. Could you see Don Draper focusing on a competitor in all their ads? No, because it takes more to be creative.

Apple's ads make people want to buy it based on their features, fun appeal and design without having to focus on a company that they want to give the impression is a non-factor.
Apple is #1 in the USA which is the only place they are #1 so yes, they are going after Apple here in the USA to gain some ground.
Its no different than when Apple went right after Microsoft with their PC vs Mac commercials. They showed nothing of how it works but made fun of the PC for their own gain. Nothing new going on here.
Vegastouch is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 08:54 AM   #54
appletoandroid
macrumors member

I love my GS2, but that was the dumbest commercial I've ever seen. It was funny and entertaining as a 1 min clip, but as a Samsung whatever it was a dumb commercial.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 09:38 AM   #55
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmaynard83 View Post
And lets not kid ourselves, you are no apple fan. I've read through your posts and you are Samsung fan.
There is very little worthy of response in your posts, but this one is hilarious.

At this point in time, I own zero Samsung devices, and multiple Apple devices, including a MBA that's connected to a Thunderbolt Display, all of which is connected to the wonderful internet through my Airport Extreme. Sitting nearby is my iPad 3rd Gen (which I used to type most of my posts last night). In the other room, there's an iMac. I was also a former 4S owner.

Yet, I'm able to praise Samsung for what they've been doing lately, and criticize Apple for what they haven't been doing. That's honesty.

However, I will likely become a Samsung fan when the S4 arrives, so maybe you were just predicting the future for me.
onthecouchagain is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:15 AM   #56
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

This is AWESOME
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:31 AM   #57
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabooly View Post
This is AWESOME
Doing Tim cook?
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:39 AM   #58
Nabooly
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Doing Tim cook?
Haha no not at all I really meant that this commercial is awesome! I love it!
Nabooly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:41 AM   #59
Dmaynard83
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
There is very little worthy of response in your posts, but this one is hilarious.

At this point in time, I own zero Samsung devices, and multiple Apple devices, including a MBA that's connected to a Thunderbolt Display, all of which is connected to the wonderful internet through my Airport Extreme. Sitting nearby is my iPad 3rd Gen (which I used to type most of my posts last night). In the other room, there's an iMac. I was also a former 4S owner.

Yet, I'm able to praise Samsung for what they've been doing lately, and criticize Apple for what they haven't been doing. That's honesty.

However, I will likely become a Samsung fan when the S4 arrives, so maybe you were just predicting the future for me.
Ok I really don't care what you own. I just notice a trend in your posts that show you don't favor apple at all but constantly remind people you are a apple fan.

There is truth in my arguments which is probably why you are focussing your argument on the devices you own. Which no one really cares about.

Next argument.
Dmaynard83 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:47 AM   #60
ugahairydawgs
macrumors 68020

At least they finally stopped overtly mocking the customers they are trying to draw in. Baby steps....I suppose.
ugahairydawgs is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 03:42 PM   #61
kdarling
macrumors Demi-God

When I'm sitting with my grown kids, we all use S-Beam to transfer photos, web links, contacts, maps, YouTube links, you name it.

It's incredibly easy. Just place the two phones back to back and press okay on whatever you're looking at. Instantly the other phone is seeing what the sender was seeing.

S-Beam uses NFC to initiate comms, and to transfer small links and info... and switches to WiFi-Direct to do large photo and video transfers.

WiFi-Direct can go up to 300Mbps.
kdarling is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:56 PM   #62
siiip5
Banned

Here is the full 2 minute commercial:

smgm.us/AEJ

I love my Samsung, but this is a pretty lame commercial. It tries to hard to be funny and it isn't. The El Plato Supreme was much better. I liked that commercial.

Go Fifty minus One'ers!
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 01:59 PM   #63
Zwhaler
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bs View Post
I like the actors they picked but not the ad.
Seriously. This shows that commercials don't need content, just a logo.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:14 PM   #64
irDigital0l

The teaser kinda sucked...

I think Samsung products now are pretty cool but there commercials suck (mainly cause they try to hard).
irDigital0l is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 02:53 PM   #65
Vegastouch
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post

smgm.us/AEJ

I love my Samsung, but this is a pretty lame commercial. It tries to hard to be funny and it isn't. The El Plato Supreme was much better. I liked that commercial.

Go Fifty minus One'ers!
Agree, horrible.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 04:13 PM   #66
DeathChill
macrumors 68000

Quote:

smgm.us/AEJ

Go Fifty minus One'ers!
I thought it was funny, but wasn't much of an advertisement for Samsung. Still funny though.
DeathChill is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:08 PM   #67
0dev
macrumors 68040

I found the full ad funny.

Obviously this ad is not meant to advertise the products, it's meant to boost the brand. Samsung are making their brand seem luxurious and cool like Apple's by having famous actors talking about how they'll make themselves look stupid because it's "for Samsung." And yeah I laughed at it too. I think it does that Samsung wanted it to do.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 05:34 PM   #68
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0dev View Post
I found the full ad funny.

Obviously this ad is not meant to advertise the products, it's meant to boost the brand.
Yup, no mention of Note II, S3, Note 10.1, etc.. Just the words Samsung, Galaxy, and next big thing.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 06:25 PM   #69
tjl3
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

smgm.us/AEJ

Go Fifty minus One'ers!
Too many digs at pop culture, and themselves? The S-Beam thing was kind of dumb. Could've done better for 15 million or at least advertised for their product.
tjl3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 07:27 PM   #70
chris2k5
Banned

These Samsung ads are useless. Doesn't show the product and it's features.
chris2k5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 09:56 PM   #71
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by F123D View Post
I got that impression as well. Maybe it's from being on tech forums to much..
I got that impression too, and I also figured it was due to spending too much time on tech forums.
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:17 PM   #72
Explicitic
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2k5 View Post
They're advertising the brand.
Explicitic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2013, 11:47 PM   #73
chris2k5
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explicitic View Post
They're advertising the brand.
Exactly. It is a waste of money and I came away feeling it wasted 2 minutes of my life that I will never get back.

At best they only showed that the Note 2 has a camera...Geez great...Every other phone on the market has one too.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACis122 View Post
Why troll
The truth hurts.
chris2k5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:21 AM   #74
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Didn't like the commercial myself, but people are really misunderstanding how advertising works.

There were TONS of commercials that didn't advertise something new and/or what their product does.

Look at the Budweiser commercial with the horse and the trainer. Look at the "Therefore god created a farmer" commercial for Ram trucks.

It's brand recognition like others have said. Was the Samsung commercial a good commercial? Not really. But was the ad "useless?" Considering it was seen by likely millions, certainly not.

And they did show their current devices in some action: the camera, S-Beam, the S-pen, video conferencing, to name a few. And I think more importantly: the loosely underlying message was that people were using Samsung devices for business. As we know, Samsung is trying to break into enterprise.

A perfect example I just thought of:
The original Budweiser frog commercial, where three frogs just said "Bud-wei-ser" over and over again in a swamp was one of the most successful and talked about commercials. Yet no beer or beer drinking was shown.

According to chris2k5, useless.

----------

Quote:
The truth hurts.
The truth being you don't know how advertising works.
onthecouchagain is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2013, 12:23 AM   #75
F123D
macrumors 68040

Location: Rootmetrics.com Verizon 96.7 | AT&T 96.6 | T-Mobile 96.4
Quote:
At best they only showed that the Note 2 has a camera...Geez great...Every other phone on the market has one too.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices