Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

30secondstosam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Hi all, first of all thanks for any help and guidance you can offer.

I'm looking to buy a MacBook/MacBook Pro. I just can't afford the mega prices for a new one though. So I've been doing some research and I've found that I could buy a cheap Macbook from eBay, perhaps refurbished. The spec isnt there though so I'm thinking about upgrading to 16GB ram.(readin everymac.com says i could) and upgrading the hdd to an SSD.
This feels like the cheapest way to get the best spec macbook and at a decent price. Has anyone attempted this? Is it worth it or should I just save my pennies? I am an IT professional by career so more than capable of installing hardware. Thanks again for the guidance. Would be good if someone here has perhaps done something similar..

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Just make sure whatever model you buy can be upgraded to the RAM, OS, etc. that you want. You can find specs on all Apple products, including maximum RAM:

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I have indeed checked every Mac. It's the last white Macbook they made.

That doesn't support any more than 6GB. It was a Core 2 duo model with NVidia's 9400m, which was still an integrated graphics chip. The display design used in the white macbooks was terrible, and the keyboard wasn't very good. I don't see why anyone would want one at this point unless it's extremely cheap.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
That doesn't support any more than 6GB. It was a Core 2 duo model with NVidia's 9400m, which was still an integrated graphics chip. The display design used in the white macbooks was terrible, and the keyboard wasn't very good. I don't see why anyone would want one at this point unless it's extremely cheap.

The last white Macbook ever made takes up to 8GB of DDR3 ram. Its GPU is the NVIDIA GeForce 320M. The display design used in this Macbook, as all of Apple's 13" non-retina Intell based laptops is the same. The keyboard is the same chicklet keyboard used on all modern Apple keyboards. Even though these machines are old, they are still very able machines that can do lots of work for the foreseeable future.

30secondstosam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 12, 2011
Wow. Really glad I asked now. I read 16GB.

Well of the keyboard and display are the same, I may as well get a white one? OK, they're not as solid as the MBP but so what? I can live with that.
If I put an SSD and 16GB RAM in, it will be pretty awesome right?
My worry was this but I didn't wanna put words in peoples mouths: things like overheating. The common problems you don't know as a consumor unless you ask someone.

Was looking at buying early.unibody MBP but as eaaymac.com says, most don't take over 4GB RAM. I feel if I sacrifice how it looks, I can get a good spec Mac without paying silly amounts. Thanks guys

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
My worry was this but I didn't wanna put words in peoples mouths: things like overheating.

The white MacBook that you're getting won't overheat any more than a newer MacBook Pro or Air - In fact, it'd probably overheat less, seeing as it has a less powerful Core2Duo rather than a quad core i7 or something :) How long are you planning on the laptop lasting?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.