Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Just a note, 1Password is on sale from its usual price of $50 and is now $25. It's on version 3.9 and version 4.0 is due out soon, but if you buy it from the Mac App Store (which is the only way to get it on Mac, I believe) you get the upgrade to version 4.0 free.

Their iOS app - which is now a universal iPhone + iPad app - is also 50% off until Sunday.

The iOS app supports syncing through iCloud, but iCloud support won't be added into the Mac version until version 4. For now, you can sync via Dropbox.

I've been eying this application since the iOS version went universal (buying for iPhone and then again for iPad wasn't appealing). The benefit over just using Keychain is that it's browser- and platform-agnostic, and can store more than just login information. It also has a password generator, so you can create some long passwords with numbers and unusual characters.

I've gotten along fine with remembering my own passwords and relying on Keychain for smaller things, but based on my brief usage I can say that it's a very nice application. It has a lot of polish. I'm pleased.

Edit: not to shill for the 1Password team, but I'll throw in that I looked for a number of other "1Password sale" threads to ensure that I wasn't making a duplicate, and only found one which indicated that 1Password was on sale for 30% off last November. A lot of posts remarked that 1Password doesn't go on sale often. The 1Password staff have mentioned that they would have a sale when 1Password 4 was released, but it looks like this might be the biggest discount for quite some time. If you've been on the fence about it over the price, this is probably your best chance to get it at its cheapest.

Last edited:

scarred

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Nice sale, but must admit I'm disappointed that they didn't announce 4.0 at Macworld...

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama
I have been torn on buying this but after seeing it back at 50% off I finally made the move and got it for Mac and iOS. I wish the Mac app had iCloud support like the iOS app.

Only downside I'm having is setting everything up. I guess because I am changing all my passwords with the generate password feature it is taking me a little bit longer

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
It's often said that 1Password doesn't go on sale often, but they discount the app several times a year. Either way, thanks to the OP for the notice given here, as this is the deepest discount they've offered since 1Password was first made available through the app store.

After having used it for a couple of years, I'm completely dependent on 1Password. I'm going to snap it up on the MAS in anticipation of the 4.0 update as it's a definite purchase for me, anyway. When iCloud was first announced, the first thing I thought of was that it would be perfect for 1Password. It's a shame that it's taken 18 months for 1Password to get iCloud support, but it seems as though we're nearly there.

As an aside, does anybody else feel like this about iCloud —*that it's a fantastic idea that should advance personal computing by a great degree, but that we seem to be endlessly waiting for our favourite apps to integrate support?

wwong-maui

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
What about Existing users?

Thanks for the heads up. For us existing users of the latest Mac version (3.8.20) the question is what the cost of an upgrade will be... equal, more or less than buying the software again at the 50% sale.

There's a whole lot of confusion regarding what version 4 means, especially since now my iOS copy is already on v4 and doesn't really sync well with my Mac version.

Odd that loyal customer retention is always the last concern of companies these days... I guess the mobile phone market has really messed things up where new customer acquisition always trumps existing customer retention even though keeping a customer is usually more profitable than obtaining new ones. Go figure.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
There's a whole lot of confusion regarding what version 4 means, especially since now my iOS copy is already on v4 and doesn't really sync well with my Mac version.

What sync issues are you having? I have no problems with 3.8 on the Mac and 4 on iOS, synced through Dropbox.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
Thanks for the heads up. For us existing users of the latest Mac version (3.8.20) the question is what the cost of an upgrade will be... equal, more or less than buying the software again at the 50% sale.
Based on what I've read on their forums, they're going to sell to the Mac audience purely through the Mac App Store. They mentioned that they always offer a discount when a new version is released, and that the discounts offered on the Mac App Store are in essence upgrade pricing for existing users while enticingly low entry pricing for new users.

Additionally, on their forums they've stated a few times that the upgrade to version 4 will be free for anyone who has the Mac App Store version. I don't know whether they'll offer a discount greater than 50% off when version 4 comes out, but it seems like this might be your best bet to get "upgrade pricing" and buy the Mac App Store version, while will allow you to get version 4 at no additional cost when it's released.

Jazwire

macrumors 6502a
Jun 20, 2009
Hmm, I am considering this, already have the current non app store version.

But also note, the "retail" version is only good for 3 machines. Where app store version is good for "5??"

Also guessing upgrade probably will be in this price range anyway.

Hmm, gonna think on it today...

Uffish Thought

macrumors member
Apr 10, 2011
Family license for 5 users

But also note, the "retail" version is only good for 3 machines. Where app store version is good for "5??"

I was not able to see where the MAS version is available for 5 users. Their website has the Mac version available as a "Family license" for $34.99 for 5 users, also upgradable to v.4 when available.

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
The Mac App Store licensing terms claim that any software purchased through the MAS can legally be used on all of the user's Apple machines. As far as I know, at this point in time there is no machine limit. It's not like with the iTunes Music Store, where you can only have five devices authorized at any one time.

Based on what I've read on AgileBits' forum, they regard a purchase through the MAS as being a family license, bound only by Apple's terms (no machine limit, just restricted to the users' machines, non-commercial).

yaymath

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2011
Nice sale, but must admit I'm disappointed that they didn't announce 4.0 at Macworld...

Is there any approximate timeline, however, for the release of v4 on the MAS? I really want to buy it but I need iCloud sync.

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
Is there any approximate timeline, however, for the release of v4 on the MAS? I really want to buy it but I need iCloud sync.

There isn't an ETA. I used this sale to convert to the Mac App Store version of the product so I'm ready for the upgrade.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Confused...I have the non-MAS version and pressed 1Password | Check for Updates and was told that I am running the latest version (i.e. 3.8.2)...perhaps there is a difference between the MAS and non-MAS versions.

I purchased the non-MAS version a week or two ago after I saw the posting on their website that such purchases would receive a free upgrade to V4.

Joel

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
For those who also use Windows, 1Password for Windows is also available on the agilebits site for the 50% off sale price of $24.99. The best deal is the Mac + Windows bundle for $34.99 during this sale. You can automatically sync between Mac and Windows using Dropbox.

Re the number of installs, or users, here's the info direct from agilebits.com.

"A 1Password for Mac single-user license allows you to install and use it on as many Macs as you own. We like to call this our Sane Licensing Model™—there is only one of you, so we think you should need only one license for 1Password for Mac to use it on all your Macs!

If you are not the only person using 1Password for Mac, then you require additional single-user licenses or a family license for 1Password for Mac."

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Glad I noticed this. I have 3.8 on my Macs but really want the iCloud sync that will be in 4. There may be another sale when 4 is released--or maybe not. Doubt it will be better than 50 percent off--so I went and got it now. My understanding is that Apple will not allow iCloud sync unless the app is purchased through their store, so the Agile website version will never be able to support iCloud sync--so this for me seems the time to buy. Developer feedback is that upgrade from 3.9 to 4 will be free.

wwong-maui

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
What sync issues are you having? I have no problems with 3.8 on the Mac and 4 on iOS, synced through Dropbox.

With version 4 WiFi syncing went away and is no longer supported and v3.8 Mac doesn't support via iCloud....so the only way to sync a v3.8 Mac and v4 iOS is Dropbox or use iTunes sync. Because of the sensitive nature of my content, I am not allowed to have any of that data stored on any public servers such as DropBox (nor iCloud when that is avail).

To Agile's credit they are revisiting the issue and are beta testing a USB tethered syncing option that is fast, secure and appropriate for the sensitive data regulations I must abide by... But for now, syncing is doable but very tedious and completely my fault as I should not have upgraded my iOS version until the Mac version is up to par as well.

wwong-maui

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2013
Confused...I have the non-MAS version and pressed 1Password | Check for Updates and was told that I am running the latest version (i.e. 3.8.2)...perhaps there is a difference between the MAS and non-MAS versions.

I purchased the non-MAS version a week or two ago after I saw the posting on their website that such purchases would receive a free upgrade to V4.
Joel

You should read AgileBits FAQ on their discussion Forum at: http://forum.agilebits.com/index.php?/topic/8068-official-answers-1password-and-the-mac-app-store/

The AgileBits website version (currently at v3.8.20) is different than the Mac App Store (MAS) which is at version 3.9.+ and cannot be "updated" except by going to MAS and purchasing it... The MAS version "comes with" a free upgrade to v4... Only the website downloaded version purchased by a yet to be determined date will also have a free upgrade to v4 where you'll have to go to MAS to get it. Prior v3.8 holders will have some yet to be determined discount which will also be offered to new users.... Family License holders will be treated like single license holders as MAS has no way to offer that type of license (multiple users with seperate AppleIDs). Confusingly, MAS licensing does include the ability to download the same software on multiple machines, as long as that machine is the same AppleID that you purchased the software with. This is not the same thing which is the confusing part.

Hope that helps.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
So are you guys sure that if you purchase it now through the MAS for 50% off you will be able to upgrade for free to v4 when it is released?

Ledgem

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 18, 2008
Hawaii, USA
So are you guys sure that if you purchase it now through the MAS for 50% off you will be able to upgrade for free to v4 when it is released?
AgileBits have stated that any MAS purchases will be given the upgrade to version 4 at no extra cost on their website and in responses to customer questions on their forums. There are some technical reasons with the MAS to explain why they would, and they also seem like the type of company that cares about its customers and image - I'd be pretty surprised if they went back on their word with this one.

forza69

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2010
Just bought it too :D
Now, is there another way to add the data that's on my iPhone into the Mac version of 1Password without using Dropbox? Or am I just going to have to wait until v4 is released so I can sync with iCloud?

colshine

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2011
UK
If you want to keep the apps in sync then Dropbox is the only method until V4 for the Mac is released.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Hopefully I can clear things up here. Sorry for the late arrival though I just got back from San Francisco last night around 11pm eastern.

We previewed version 4 at Macworld to attendees.

It's a shame that it's taken 18 months for 1Password to get iCloud support, but it seems as though we're nearly there.

As an aside, does anybody else feel like this about iCloud —*that it's a fantastic idea that should advance personal computing by a great degree, but that we seem to be endlessly waiting for our favourite apps to integrate support?

Many developers with complex data types don't support iCloud. For a variety of reasons. For us to support iCloud we had to rewrite the entire data file format in order for it to be compatible with iCloud. It wasn't a simple checkbox to get into iCloud. It essentially required a complete rewrite from the ground up. Which is pretty much what 1Password 4 is (both iOS and Mac). I do apologize for the delay, but we worked as quickly as we could given the size of our team.

Odd that loyal customer retention is always the last concern of companies these days... I guess the mobile phone market has really messed things up where new customer acquisition always trumps existing customer retention even though keeping a customer is usually more profitable than obtaining new ones. Go figure.

It should sync fine with version 3 on the Mac. There is only some data that doesn't "sync" in that it doesn't get displayed on the Mac, but is certainly synced. The iOS version supports custom fields. 1Password 3 for Mac is not able to view these custom fields. Otherwise, syncing should be pretty much exactly as previously. Also note that you cannot sync the Mac version with iCloud. This will work in version 4 for Mac.

Based on what I've read on their forums, they're going to sell to the Mac audience purely through the Mac App Store. They mentioned that they always offer a discount when a new version is released, and that the discounts offered on the Mac App Store are in essence upgrade pricing for existing users while enticingly low entry pricing for new users.

Additionally, on their forums they've stated a few times that the upgrade to version 4 will be free for anyone who has the Mac App Store version. I don't know whether they'll offer a discount greater than 50% off when version 4 comes out, but it seems like this might be your best bet to get "upgrade pricing" and buy the Mac App Store version, while will allow you to get version 4 at no additional cost when it's released.

Not true. We've never stated we were going to sell exclusively on the Mac App Store. I believe a user or two may have stated this a long time ago and we've been trying to clean it up since.

I believe we would have liked to go Mac App Store only, but it just isn't practical for us yet.

All new Mac purchases from the last week going forward get a free upgrade to version 4 for Mac. Website or Mac App Store. Users outside of this will get a pretty good upgrade price. We'll announce more about this in the future, we just aren't that close to release yet.

Also guessing upgrade probably will be in this price range anyway.

Hmm, gonna think on it today...

Family pack from our website is good for 5 users. I don't recall it ever being 3 users. The App Store version can be used on any number of computers in which they use the same AppleID. This doesn't always work for people though and our family pack on the website can be very useful in these situations.

You'd be surprised at the number of household users that use different AppleIDs for each computer... Don't ask me why, I've yet to hear a good reason for it yet :)

The previous upgrade price was $20. Considering that version 3 has been available as the latest version for over 3 years, I'd say $20 is a really great price to upgrade from version 2.

Will 1Password 4 be that? No idea yet, we'll announce more when we're closer to release.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.