Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:06 PM   #1
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

iPhone Ownership and Want Has Plummeted in Asian Countries

In Asia's trend-setting cities, iPhone fatigue sets in

Quote:
Driven by a combination of iPhone fatigue, a desire to be different and a plethora of competing devices, users are turning to other brands, notably those from Samsung Electronics Co Ltd, eating into Apple's market share.

In Singapore, Apple's products were so dominant in 2010 that more devices here ran its iOS operating system per capita than anywhere else in the world.

But StatCounter gs.statcounter.com, which measures traffic collected across a network of 3 million websites, calculates that Apple's share of mobile devices in Singapore - iPad and iPhone - declined sharply last year. From a peak of 72 percent in January 2012, its share fell to 50 percent this month, while Android devices now account for 43 percent of the market, up from 20 percent in the same month last year.

In Hong Kong, devices running Apple's iOS now account for about 30 percent of the total, down from about 45 percent a year ago. Android accounts for nearly two-thirds.
Janet Chan, a 25-year-old Hong Kong advertising executive, has an iPhone 5 but its fast-draining battery and the appeal of a bigger screen for watching movies is prodding her to switch to a Samsung Galaxy Note II.
But the iPhone's drop in popularity in trendy Hong Kong and Singapore is mirrored in the upmarket malls of the region.

"IPhones are like Louis Vuitton handbags," said marketing manager Narisara Konglua in Bangkok, who uses a Galaxy SIII. "It's become so commonplace to see people with iPads and iPhones so you lose your cool edge having one."

In the Indonesian capital Jakarta, an assistant manager at Coca Cola's local venture, Gatot Hadipratomo, agrees. The iPhone "used to be a cool gadget but now more and more people use it."
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...90Q0IV20130127

http://www.techinasia.com/android-ma...re-china-2012/

This confirms the other reports we've seen in the past about plummeting iPhone demand in Asian countries, such as the lack of fanfare for the iPhone 5 launch in China, and the deep cuts back in iPhone component orders. Despite what Apple's press releases lead you to think with muddied numbers, the iPhone is not doing well in Asia and is one of the many reasons why Apple stock has crashed in recent months. Shareholders see that high-end/trend setting smartphone users are switching to other platforms in droves in Asia and elsewhere. I have read so many posts from people here without a clue about why AAPL is crashing and claiming conspiracy theories and calling stock holders criminal, when it is plainly clear if only they open their eyes to what is going on around the world.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:20 PM   #2
bonskovsky
Banned

This is good. Especially after the iPhone 4S riots. They needed to calm that down.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:21 PM   #3
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

And this effects me how?
duneriderltr450 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:26 PM   #4
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
And this effects me how?
Enlightenment and humility.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:26 PM   #5
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Could it be because most people in China can not afford an iPhone, but can afford a cheap $150 phone with android on it?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:27 PM   #6
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxman2003 View Post
Could it be because most people in China can not afford an iPhone, but can afford a cheap $150 phone with android on it?
Notice the article showing that Asian trend-setters are moving away from the iPhone in droves.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:28 PM   #7
bonskovsky
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
...High-end/trend setting smartphone users are switching to other platforms in droves in Asia and elsewhere...

How?

What are these platforms? And what trends are they setting?
bonskovsky is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:31 PM   #8
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Notice the article showing that Asian trend-setters are moving away from the iPhone in droves.
That group is such a small number that it has a nil effect. The real reason is that in 2010 android was virtually non existent. It could only go up in numbers while ios had to go down. Plus add cheap android phones, and you will have a large increase in android os in the demographics. The "trendsetters" had little if any impact.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:34 PM   #9
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
That group is such a small number that it has a nil effect. The real reason is that in 2010 android was virtually non existent. It could only go up in numbers while ios had to go down. Plus add cheap android phones, and you will have a large increase in android os in the demographics. The "trendsetters" had little if any impact.
Yeah, Hong Kong and Singapore have "nil effect". /sarcasm. Get real.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:36 PM   #10
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

A true test would be giving away phones to compare which is more popular. Have a table with 1000 iPhones next to a table with 1000 Samsung or other big name Android device, and put a sign saying free for the taking. The iphones wouldn't last a minute.

----------

Quote:
Yeah, Hong Kong and Singapore have "nil effect". /sarcasm. Get real.
On the total number of people in Asia, yes, nil effect. Get real and understand. You label your thread one thing (trendsetter) cities, yet you show a graph for the entire country of China. Nice little trick, but you actually proved my point. Thank you.

Last edited by wxman2003; Jan 31, 2013 at 11:44 PM.
wxman2003 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:42 PM   #11
dejo

Quote:

This confirms the other reports we've seen in the past about plummeting iPhone demand in Asian countries...
How does a pretty much level line confirm "plummeting" demand?
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:49 PM   #12
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejo View Post
That graph shows Apple smartphone share dropping like a rock. It's just that Android is so far ahead of Apple on that graph that Apple is almost a rounding error. Notice iOS fell from 6.5% in in 2012Q1 to only 4.2% in 2012Q3 whereas Android has rocketed up from 76.7% to 90.1% in the same time period.

----------

Quote:
A true test would be giving away phones to compare which is more popular. Have a table with 1000 iPhones next to a table with 1000 Samsung or other big name Android device, and put a sign saying free for the taking. The iphones wouldn't last a minute.

----------

On the total number of people in Asia, yes, nil effect. Get real and understand. You label your thread one thing (trendsetter) cities, yet you show a graph for the entire country of China. Nice little trick, but you actually proved my point. Thank you.
You don't know Asia.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:50 PM   #13
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That graph shows Apple smartphone share dropping like a rock. It's just that Android is so far ahead of Apple on that graph that Apple is almost a rounding error. Notice iOS fell from 6.5% in in 2012Q1 to only 4.2% in 2012Q3 whereas Android has rocketed up from 76.7% to 90.1% in the same time period.

----------

You don't know Asia.
I forgot, you are the expert in everything, because you link an article. Everything you post is anti Apple. We all know you have an anti apple agenda. Your whole life is based around posting whatever negative you can find about Apple. Post, after post, after post, after post, after post, after post, after post, after post. The broke record just keeps skipping along.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:51 PM   #14
dejo

Quote:
That graph shows Apple smartphone share dropping like a rock.
That's not how I would describe a 2.3% drop.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:53 PM   #15
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I forgot, you are the expert in everything, because you link an article.
The 35% crash in Apple's stock price in less than 6 months speaks for me.

----------

Quote:
That's not how I would describe a 2.3% drop.
A 2.3% drop is huge when Apple only had 6.5% to begin with. What little footing Apple had with trend-setting asians is now gone.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:54 PM   #16
macingman
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Agree. The iPhone is line is in waves probably in line with product cycles. That is all that is happening here IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking;16764743 1.

You don't know Asia.
You don't either, so stop acting like you're an expert.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:55 PM   #17
dejo

Quote:
A 2.3% drop is huge when Apple only had 6.5% to begin with. What little footing Apple had with trend-setting asians is now gone.
Gone would be 0%.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:56 PM   #18
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The 35% crash in Apple's stock price in less than 6 months speaks for me.

----------

You obviously don't understand how the stock market works either and selling off for tax reasons.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:57 PM   #19
ucfgrad93
macrumors G5

Quote:
I forgot, you are the expert in everything, because you link an article. Everything you post is anti Apple. We all know you have an anti apple agenda. Your whole life is based around posting whatever negative you can find about Apple. Post, after post, after post, after post, after post, after post, after post, after post. The broke record just keeps skipping along.
Agreed. The OP should really just move along to something he/she likes better. Life is too short to spend all of your time complaining about the same things.
ucfgrad93 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2013, 11:59 PM   #20
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
Agreed. The OP should really just move along to something he/she likes better. Life is too short to spend all of your time complaining about the same things.
I hope not. I find it entertaining.
duneriderltr450 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:04 AM   #21
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816

Quote:
You obviously don't understand how the stock market works either and selling off for tax reasons.
You can keep your head in the ground and keep telling yourself that or you can wake up and smell the coffee as Apple stock price continues crashing for reasons that are obvious to those who look around.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by macingman View Post
Agree. The iPhone is line is in waves probably in line with product cycles. That is all that is happening here IMO.

You don't either, so stop acting like you're an expert.
You don't need to be an expert to see that the iPhone's performance in Asian countries is dismal and is a key reason why Apple's share price has crashed.

----------

Quote:
Gone would be 0%.
Like Windows Mobile, eh? That's about the same marketshare that Apple has.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
I hope not. I find it entertaining.
I don't find you humorous.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:05 AM   #22
wxman2003
macrumors 68000

Quote:
You can keep your head in the ground and keep telling yourself that or you can wake up and smell the coffee as Apple stock price continues crashing for reasons that are obvious to those who look around.
Really, what was the price on Apple last January? Right around $455 a share. What is it today? Right around $455. And in 2010? Around $210 a share. Would not call that a big drop. In fact, it seems like a very stable stock to own.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:06 AM   #23
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:

I don't find you humorous.
I wasn't making a joke.
duneriderltr450 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:14 AM   #24
blueroom
macrumors 603

How is the OP not on everyones ignore list?
blueroom is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 12:17 AM   #25
Mrbobb
macrumors 601

Quote:
Enlightenment and humility.
Lee Kun-Hee, is that you?

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone