Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
England
Hi guys,
I started to use Time Machine for the first time yesterday (after picking up a 2TB USB3 external drive).

Coincidentally, I also wiped my MacBook Pro with a Retina display's SSD - Installing and updating OSX as far as possible. Meaning time machine was turned on for a completely fresh and upto date 'blank' OSX.

I turned on Time machine after connecting my external drive and being prompted. I chose to encrypt and off it went.

The actual backup was done within 15minutes or so (I dont know the exact time, I wasnt really checking im afraid). But the drive encryption is still ongoing - I've been to bed and its about 55% done!

Is this normal?

With regards to Power Nap, if the MBP goes to sleep after inactivity, the HDD continues to remain active - I presume Power Nap is doing its thing?

However, If I choose to sleep the MBP (via the Apple Menu) the drive appears to stop - Nothing is going on?

I also noticed this while updating via the App Store!
If I started a large download and went away, I'd come back to find the MBP asleep and the download finished (it would have took longer than the 15minutes the MBP takes to decide to sleep itself).
However If I start a download and sleep the Mac - the download stops.

Does Power Nap only work when the Mac goes to sleep due to inactivity?

Cheers.

switon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2012
RE: Powernap, sleep, ...

Hi DayVe3000,

Encrypting a disk volume does take a fair amount of time, the first time. After that you should not be too bothered by the encryption.

I believe that when you manually "sleep" your rMBP, it will pause the App Store download. But when you just "go away", the App Store download will finish, even if it takes longer than the 15 minute timer for sleep mode, before the rMBP is automatically put in sleep mode.

Powernap will wake your sleeping rMBP to do some maintenance things, such as TM backups and email downloads.

Regards,
Switon

Spikeywan

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2012
I love this forum. Being so new to Macs it answers questions that I didn't even know I needed to ask. Unknown unknowns. :D

DayVe3000

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2012
England
Haha - Glad to see my ignorance helped you out! :)

Sucks that PN doesnt appear to work instantaneously when you put your Mac to sleep - But now I just wont put my Mac to sleep.

Cheers!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.