Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help

Old Feb 1, 2013, 05:35 AM   #1
locistheunit
macrumors newbie

Cannot transfer movie files to WD Elements Play HDD (media player)

Can someone help!
Im new to mac and I cant workout how (or if i can...) simply copy/drop/send me MP4s, avi files etc to the media player. Is it compatible with mac? Is it Mountain Lion that is the problem? ahhhhhhh!!!!
locistheunit is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 07:37 AM   #2
madeirabhoy
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by locistheunit View Post
Can someone help!
Im new to mac and I cant workout how (or if i can...) simply copy/drop/send me MP4s, avi files etc to the media player. Is it compatible with mac? Is it Mountain Lion that is the problem? ahhhhhhh!!!!

probably the media centre is formatted as NTFS which macs cant write to (out of the box). there are some options to access NTFS using third party drivers but i tried the two main ones and neither worked very well.

if you are going to write to the media player often, i'd think about formatting as FAT32 (compatible with everything but wont take files bigger than 4gigs) or ExFat which is what i use on my external drive. you could format it using mac's main format which is HFS+ but this might not work for the media player and you'd have problems using it as a pc drive too.

or look at Paragon NTFS
http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

or Tuxera NTFS
http://macntfs-3g.blogspot.com/

or install windows using bootcamp or parallels and use that.....
madeirabhoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Mac Basics and Help