Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Feb 1, 2013, 09:11 AM   #1
AFPoster
macrumors 65816

Word 2011 to PDF not saving Links

As the title says I have Microsoft Word 2011 with several hyperlinks to different parts of the document by using Bookmarks. When I save this to .PDF the links are transferred, however, none work.

I asked this on Microsoft forums and to their support to no avail.
AFPoster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:50 PM   #2
IanWilson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFPoster View Post
As the title says I have Microsoft Word 2011 with several hyperlinks to different parts of the document by using Bookmarks. When I save this to .PDF the links are transferred, however, none work.

I asked this on Microsoft forums and to their support to no avail.
Unfortunately it seems to be the case that this just doesn't work. See http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/m...7-2ff00657ee43 for instance.

Ian
IanWilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:15 PM   #3
vistadude
macrumors 65816

This is not a broken feature or error happening. It's something microsoft doesn't support and requires the adobe acrobat software.

There are several instances where microsoft includes basic features (PDF and Endnote come to mind) where it would be easy for them to implement complete functionality but risk either getting a lawsuit for being monopolistic or risk alienating their partners.
vistadude is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 10:57 PM   #4
kohlson
macrumors regular

In my experience, this doesn't work on a Mac. I have tried printing to PS from Word, and then distilling. No go. I was only able to make this work by opening under Word 2010 (Windows), and saving as PDF, where it works as expected. Who's at fault? Adobe? Apple? Microsoft? The main thing is this seems to have been the case for a long time, and no one seems in a hurry to fix it. FInd a Windows friend.
kohlson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2013, 08:00 PM   #5
bherring
macrumors newbie

Mac Word to PDF with hyperlinks

The only way I've managed to do this is via Office365...you edit your doc in Mac Word 2011, upload it to Office365 (free for a month, then $10/mo), and print to PDF from there. You still need Acrobat to take out the JavaScript auto-open print window that Microsoft puts in, but at least the links work without having to go to a PC. More on the details in this other thread, post #19.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1323421

Crazy workflow:
Mac OS Word 2011 --> .doc with hyperlinks --> Office365 Web Word --> PDF with hyperlinks you want but JavaScript you don't want -->Acrobat --> PDF with hyperlinks.

Workflow on a PC and the way it ought to be on Mac Word:
Word 20xx --> (optional .doc with hyperlinks) ---> PDF with hyperlinks.
bherring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2013, 04:43 AM   #6
eroux
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bherring View Post
Crazy workflow:
Mac OS Word 2011 --> .doc with hyperlinks --> Office365 Web Word --> PDF with hyperlinks you want but JavaScript you don't want -->Acrobat --> PDF with hyperlinks.

Workflow on a PC and the way it ought to be on Mac Word:
Word 20xx --> (optional .doc with hyperlinks) ---> PDF with hyperlinks.
Saner workflow on the Mac:

Mac OS Word 2011 --> .doc with hyperlinks --> LibreOffice for the Mac --> PDF with hyperlinks.

Of course, could just as well skip the "Mac OS Word 2011" step...
eroux is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2013, 06:25 AM   #7
IanWilson
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by eroux View Post
Saner workflow on the Mac:

Mac OS Word 2011 --> .doc with hyperlinks --> LibreOffice for the Mac --> PDF with hyperlinks.

Of course, could just as well skip the "Mac OS Word 2011" step...
Thanks. I'm away from home at the moment, so I can't try it. But I am not sure that would preserve the section breaks with endnotes at the end of each section.

I'll try when I get home.

Ian
IanWilson is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store