Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:34 PM   #51
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
one thing you are all ignoring is inclement weather...

explain to me what your plans are for riding in snow, sleet, sub-zero temps, excessive heat and excessive humidity.
As they say on bikeforums, HTFU. Put on a jacket, get some studded tires, and face the world.
AlphaDogg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:35 PM   #52
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
As they say on bikeforums, HTFU. Put on a jacket, get some studded tires, and face the world.
What if you wear a suit and tie?
eric/ is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:36 PM   #53
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric/ View Post
You put it in your panniers and change when you get to work.

Plenty of people do this. There's a whole subforum on bikeforums devoted solely to all weather commuting and living car-free.
AlphaDogg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:39 PM   #54
eric/

Quote:
You put it in your panniers and change when you get to work.
So much work when I could just drive and not change

Really though, I think it would be good if we increased our biking as a country, though sometimes inclement weather is really going to not allow you to make it to work. We get pretty wicked storms, snowfall, and just crazy weather changes.

Sunday the river that runs through Columbus, OH was frozen over, by Tuesday it was in the 60s and pouring rain, it dropped to 12 Thursday night (according to my weather app on my phone) and now it's supposed to snow the rest of the week.

It's annoying having to deal with that.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:40 PM   #55
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Heh, I can just imagine the smell of my workplace if a significant number of people rode bicycles to work on a typical August morning when it's 90 degrees with 80 percent humidity at 8am.
macquariumguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:40 PM   #56
niuniu
Banned

Quote:

explain to me what your plans are for riding in snow, sleet, sub-zero temps, excessive heat and excessive humidity.
Showers at work admittedly are a huge advantage, as are lockers. Lots of larger workplaces do provide them though.

Winter commuting is normal where I live, people wrap up, light up and deal with it. There are women in their 50s and 60s here championing it visibly in the city.

You're right to point it out though. The various temperatures require new cyclists to get serious advise on gear. Get it wrong, even to wear the wrong shell, and you're going to hate it. All just down to experience.
niuniu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:41 PM   #57
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
So much work when I could just drive and not change

Really though, I think it would be good if we increased our biking as a country, though sometimes inclement weather is really going to not allow you to make it to work. We get pretty wicked storms, snowfall, and just crazy weather changes.

Sunday the river that runs through Columbus, OH was frozen over, by Tuesday it was in the 60s and pouring rain, it dropped to 12 Thursday night (according to my weather app on my phone) and now it's supposed to snow the rest of the week.

It's annoying having to deal with that.
To be honest, I wouldn't ride in that. I've fallen a few times on ice and I'm not taking the risk again.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:42 PM   #58
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
My city is the 2nd fastest growing financial district in Europe. Most the cyclists here go from bibs to slacks.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:43 PM   #59
Sydde
macrumors 68000

These kind of things work pretty well. Fast, comfortable, dry:

Well, yes, expensive as well. But at age 50+, the $8~12K might be an investment in improved health.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:44 PM   #60
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydde View Post

Well, yes, expensive as well. But at age 50+, the $8~12K might be an investment in improved health.
Velomobiles are quite interesting indeed. I've seen a total of one of them in the past 3 years of cycling around Denver. They're way more efficient than a standard bicycle.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:44 PM   #61
eric/

Quote:
To be honest, I wouldn't ride in that. I've fallen a few times on ice and I'm not taking the risk again.
Ok, say you don't have a car. Public transportation is bad or non-existant

now what? Call off work? How long can you keep that up?

Those are the problems I have. with strictly cycling. For me, it's too dependent on variables that I can't really control. Obviously you can't control the weather, but I can drive my car in a lot nastier weather than I would dream of biking in.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:45 PM   #62
niuniu
Banned

Quote:

Yeah pricey, but with increased popularity they'd get cheaper. On a good cycle network I imagine the reduced visibility doesn't matter so much.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:45 PM   #63
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Ok, say you don't have a car. Public transportation is bad or non-existant

now what? Call off work? How long can you keep that up?

Those are the problems I have. with strictly cycling. For me, it's too dependent on variables that I can't really control. Obviously you can't control the weather, but I can drive my car in a lot nastier weather than I would dream of biking in.
If I had to, I would ride in that. But I'm 16 and can still rely on my parents.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:47 PM   #64
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Me too. It's not a zero sum game anyway. Most cyclists are 2/3 season cyclists. Winter cyclists in the UK are pretty hardcore. Traffic dodging in bad weather isn't for the faint hearted.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:47 PM   #65
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Quote:
Heh, if I had $8~12K to spare I would spend it on a forced induction system for my car.
macquariumguy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:49 PM   #66
eric/

Quote:
So perhaps you should take these kinds of routine situations into consideration. What are you going to do when you're not living at home, or on a college campus?

It's easy to do, and say everybody should bike, but there are some pretty serious problems.

What if I'm a mother of 3, and we need to go to grandma's? Everybody hop on the family bycycle? What if they are all babies? Stay at home?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:49 PM   #67
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:

Living in Houston, I can speak for excessive heat and excessive humidity. If you ride enough in it, your body adjusts. The key, obviously, is to keep yourself well hydrated. I've done the MS150 every year (the ride from Houston to Austin) so I've trained and ridden in just about every weather scenario we have. Luckily I don't have to worry about snow.

My work also has a shower/gym, so if I needed to it was something that was available. I am also lucky enough to have a job where we can dress casually, which makes it a lot easier. If the roads were better suited, I would definitely do it more often, but during rush hour it's a tad dangerous. That's much worse than the heat or the distance.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:49 PM   #68
eric/

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
Me too. It's not a zero sum game anyway. Most cyclists are 2/3 season cyclists. Winter cyclists in the UK are pretty hardcore. Traffic dodging in bad weather isn't for the faint hearted.
So what do you do for the other 1/3rd? Drive?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:51 PM   #69
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I'm an all season cyclist but during the winter, I ride significantly less than normal. I won't go on a bike ride in temperatures of less than 4C (40F) and won't ride if there's snow or ice on the ground. I end up riding about 400 miles during this season. In the summer, I end up riding about 1700 miles.

----------

Quote:
I think you mean 1/4th. There are 4 seasons. Just a friendly correction
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:52 PM   #70
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
So perhaps you should take these kinds of routine situations into consideration. What are you going to do when you're not living at home, or on a college campus?

It's easy to do, and say everybody should bike, but there are some pretty serious problems.

What if I'm a mother of 3, and we need to go to grandma's? Everybody hop on the family bycycle? What if they are all babies? Stay at home?
Thumb resize.

Is it the most practical thing in the world? No. But I have one of those for my twins, and I've ridden miles with them. When there's a will, there's a way.
Moyank24 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:54 PM   #71
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I never said motor vehicles should be eradicated. I think there is much utility in them, but people have gotten so accustomed to falling back on that comfort and should use their own power to get them around if they are not in a difficult situation. People get lazy.
AlphaDogg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:58 PM   #72
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Yeah you can drive, or do a partial ride to the train. Or just walk to bus or train.

Quote:
I'm an all season cyclist but during the winter, I ride significantly less than normal. I won't go on a bike ride in temperatures of less than 4C (40F) and won't ride if there's snow or ice on the ground. I end up riding about 400 miles during this season. In the summer, I end up riding about 1700 miles.
This winter I've been on a hardtail MTB and have felt much braver than before. Ice, snow, anything. I did come off in November. My enthusiasm has died somewhat though - because of the cleaning. It's horrible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moyank24 View Post
Thumb resize.

Is it the most practical thing in the world? No. But I have one of those for my twins, and I've ridden miles with them. When there's a will, there's a way.
Lovely
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:00 PM   #73
eric/

Quote:
I never said motor vehicles should be eradicated. I think there is much utility in them, but people have gotten so accustomed to falling back on that comfort and should use their own power to get them around if they are not in a difficult situation. People get lazy.
Sorry if I made it seem like you said that. It wasn't my intention.

I just don't like having multiple items to do the same thing, so when something doesn't work all the time, I usually don't like it much.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:06 PM   #74
Sydde
macrumors 68000

Quote:
... I imagine the reduced visibility doesn't matter so much.
Motorists see dogs, 3-year-olds, pieces of lumber in the road, all much smaller than a velo. If visibility is a concern, there are very effective lighting systems. In the end, the driver's first responsibility is to not hit things in the car's path, even if it pisses them off to slow down.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:07 PM   #75
Orange Crane
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Starting to cycle, 16 miles twice a day isn't easy. I agree.
This is a good point to note. If you don't have a very active lifestyle, changing over to something like a bike commute can be tough, but only for the first few weeks. I'm an example of this. I picked up a bike for the first time since I was a kid about two years ago. I live a dozen miles and 1k feet elevation gain from work in a very hilly city, nearly on par with San Francisco in that regard but worse weather and worse road conditions. When I got my bike I was about 40 lbs overweight with issues with feet and back directly related to a sedentary lifestyle. These all echo many common reasons people don't get on a bike - weather, health, topography, distance, infrastructure, all less than ideal. I'm not pointing this out because I'm exceptional, just the opposite. If I could do it, the majority of people can. When I first started I rode on sidewalks and walked up hills. A month later hills were no longer an issue. Six months into a daily commute I'd dropped the extra weight and associated ailments. After a year I found that my car usage had become so infrequent I was able to trade my former daily driver Honda for a nice '62 thunderbird for the once or twice a month I want to use a car. I ride a big, slow, comfortable bike that is better suited for grocery runs than winning races. I'm extremely average on most points, I dont live in suburban sprawl or the heart of the city either. I think if going from daily car to daily bike was attainable for me, it is for most of my fellow citizens as well. Like with most things the hardest part is mental. Though it doesn't hurt that it's fun as hell.. I'll be spending the upcoming gorgeous weekend riding the Oregon coast by day and enjoying dank northwest porters in the evenings.
Orange Crane is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues