Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:36 AM   #126
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
Apple differentiates themselves by focusing on user experience and making their device simple to use, rather than by packing in the latest features and hardware.

Apple automatically has an advantage as far as being different is concerned, given that the iPhone doesn't run Android like THOUSANDS of other phones

Didn't Samsung show off Android Beam in an ad? (Something that lots of other smartphones have?) If they showed off S-Beam most people wouldn't know the difference

And showing off a feature like direct call is silly when there's a call button in the message window anyway. That did make me laugh a little bit. Talk about technology overkill.
Yup. Not all Samsung ads are good. Again, just speaking more about what sort of statements their respective ads say.

You'd be foolish to think Apple wouldn't advertise new features... if they had them. Look at their MacBook Retina campaign -- huge focus on the new retina screens.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:40 AM   #127
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Which means that if we still have to point back to the "old technology" to perform normally expected tasks that people do every day, the new technology isn't ready to replace it.
Who said anything about wireless charging replacing a USB port?

It's supplemental, just like LTE is supplemental on the iPhone. If you really don't want to use it, turn it off and stick to 3G. But it's there and certainly should be advertised.
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:45 AM   #128
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Which means that if we still have to point back to the "old technology" to perform normally expected tasks that people do every day, the new technology isn't ready to replace it.

You mean like the plethora of different converter cables that Apple offers for connectivity and even for charging? You mean like the SuperDrive that Apple offers?

So introducing Thunderbolt connectivity, exorcising the optical drive and ethernet port for thinness/lightness, introducing MagSafe 2, etc. -- all these were mistakes that aren't ready to be replaced?

Fascinating! Yet, I don't see you complaining about Apple doing all that...

And this isn't about "Apple".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
It isn't about Apple, despite how much you try to make it.
Here. I'll even help illustrate my point:





onthecouchagain is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:53 AM   #129
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Yup. Not all Samsung ads are good. Again, just speaking more about what sort of statements their respective ads say.

You'd be foolish to think Apple wouldn't advertise new features... if they had them. Look at their MacBook Retina campaign -- huge focus on the new retina screens.
Is Retina "new" at this point? I don't think so. Everyone is coming out with their high resolution offering these days.

A much higher resolution screen is a useful thing to advertise though and changes the experience people will have with the device.

Apple has advertised new features in the past, like Siri. I know Apple didn't invent Siri, but it was the first company to include an intelligent natural speech assistant in their device as far as I know (please correct me if I'm wrong).

iOS 6 wasn't a very big upgrade, which is probably why they didn't try to advertise any brand new OS features. It was more of a hardware upgrade this time around.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 11:57 AM   #130
chrf097
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
Yup. Not all Samsung ads are good. Again, just speaking more about what sort of statements their respective ads say.

You'd be foolish to think Apple wouldn't advertise new features... if they had them. Look at their MacBook Retina campaign -- huge focus on the new retina screens.
Retina Screen isn't a good argument it this. A retina screen is more beneficial than wireless charging.

A better example is noise cancellation or GLONASS as a campaign.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.0.2 | Verizon
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.0.2

chrf097 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:09 PM   #131
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Retina Screen isn't a good argument it this. A retina screen is more beneficial than wireless charging.

A better example is noise cancellation or GLONASS as a campaign.

You entirely missed the point of my post. The point was that if Apple had new features in the iPhone that made them stood apart from the competition, they would advertise it. Just like they do their retina displays in their MBP Retina campaigns.

The fact that their iPhone campaign shows nothing new compared to the competition says something.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:18 PM   #132
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
You entirely missed the point of my post. The point was that if Apple had new features in the iPhone that made them stood apart from the competition, they would advertise it. Just like they do their retina displays in their MBP Retina campaigns.

The fact that their iPhone campaign shows nothing new compared to the competition says something.
It shows that they want to improve the iPhone rather than cram in hundreds of new features for the sake of being new, without thinking about how practical they are.

As I said in another thread, Samsung added a "double tap to top" gesture that only works in about three Samsung apps. They didn't care about whether or not that would benefit the user, they just wanted it on their spec sheet. What a half assed implementation that was.

I love the S3 and had use for a lot of the features, but some of the features they added did feel like they were added for the sake of it.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:22 PM   #133
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
To all you people who are saying "Oh, but it only takes 2 seconds to stick the charger in", it's called convenience. It's easier to put the phone on a mat than it is to plug in a charger, and when you're going to have to do either at least once every single day... Which one are you going to choose?
For me, my charger is right where the charging pad would be so calling that easier i just a laugher,.... for me anyways. When i think of what you posted, i just keep thinking how lazy one must be to call that "easier".

Really with the responses i see here about convienience, im surprised Bidets arent more popular so one doesnt even have to wipe their own ass anymore.

So ill just say again that for me, it is the price of the charging mat that would determine if id get one. $10, sure, $40-50...no way. Im just not that lazy that i need to spend $40 to save me 2 seconds one time per day and i have several micro USB chargers already.
Its a nice concept but it just isnt something that is a selling point for me.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Feb 2, 2013 at 12:28 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:29 PM   #134
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
It shows that they want to improve the iPhone rather than cram in hundreds of new features for the sake of being new, without thinking about how practical they are.

As I said in another thread, Samsung added a "double tap to top" gesture that only works in about three Samsung apps. They didn't care about whether or not that would benefit the user, they just wanted it on their spec sheet. What a half assed implementation that was.

I love the S3 and had use for a lot of the features, but some of the features they added did feel like they were added for the sake of it.

The conversation is taking a new direction; whether Samsung's new features are good or not. I don't own a S3, so I won't get too deep into it. No doubt some are better than others. The effort is there though, and some are novel ideas that, I think, are cool (multi-window, Smart Stay).

Not everything new Apple does is perfect nor a hit right away either (Passbook, Siri when it first came out, etc.).

You see all this as Apple simply focusing on informing people of basic functions, or improving the iPhone. Another way to see it is Apple not having anything new to show (which they would undoubtedly show if they did) and them catching up to the competition by their latest improvements. No problem if you don't see it that way.

I think that's a fair place to take my exit. Good convo, truly.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
For me, my charger is right where the charging pad would be so calling that easier i just a laugher,.... for me anyways. When i think of what you posted, i just keep thinking how lazy one must be to call that "easier".

Really with the responses i see here about convienience, im surprised Bidets arent more popular so one doesnt even have to wipe their own ass anymore.

So ill just say again that for me, it is the price of the charging mat that would determine if id get one. $10, sure, $40-50...no way. Im just not that lazy that i need to spend $40 to save me 2 seconds one time per day and i have several micro USB chargers already.

The Nexus Charging Orb is expected to sell for $59.99, which is insanely overpriced. If that turns out to be the case, I will not be purchasing until deals/price drops happen. There is certainly no rush for this convenience.

Heck, I might not even own the Nexus 4 for long either. My need for stock Android grows dimmer day by day, while the tradeoffs weigh heavier and heavier.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:34 PM   #135
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
The conversation is taking a new direction; whether Samsung's new features are good or not. I don't own a S3, so I won't get too deep into it. No doubt some are better than others. The effort is there though, and some are novel ideas that, I think, are cool (multi-window, Smart Stay).

Not everything new Apple does is perfect nor a hit right away either (Passbook, Siri when it first came out, etc.).

You see all this as Apple simply focusing on informing people of basic functions, or improving the iPhone. Another way to see it is Apple not having anything new to show (which they would undoubtedly show if they did) and them catching up to the competition by their latest improvements. No problem if you don't see it that way.

I think that's a fair place to take my exit. Good convo, truly.
What they're showing is new though - new to the iPhone.

Apple has never been one to cater to pressure from customers or other companies. If they did, we would've had Flash a long time ago. They do what they want to do, at their own speed and in their own way. Not sure why anyone would want it any other way. Android manufacturers add features at the speed of light. There's no point in Apple doing the same thing.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:40 PM   #136
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
The conversation is taking a new direction; whether Samsung's new features are good or not. I don't own a S3, so I won't get too deep into it. No doubt some are better than others. The effort is there though, and some are novel ideas that, I think, are cool (multi-window, Smart Stay).

Not everything new Apple does is perfect nor a hit right away either (Passbook, Siri when it first came out, etc.).

You see all this as Apple simply focusing on informing people of basic functions, or improving the iPhone. Another way to see it is Apple not having anything new to show (which they would undoubtedly show if they did) and them catching up to the competition by their latest improvements. No problem if you don't see it that way.

I think that's a fair place to take my exit. Good convo, truly.

----------




The Nexus Charging Orb is expected to sell for $59.99, which is insanely overpriced. If that turns out to be the case, I will not be purchasing until deals/price drops happen. There is certainly no rush for this convenience.

Heck, I might not even own the Nexus 4 for long either. My need for stock Android grows dimmer day by day, while the tradeoffs weigh heavier and heavier.
Yeah that is too much just to have that and by the time they come out, the GS4 might be revealed. They are are slow to get it out.
Also about two or so years ago, didnt Apple or another company come out with a Charging mat for iPods and iPhones? I believe those were $99.
Must not have been a hot seller because i never seen a mention of them.

Last edited by Vegastouch; Feb 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:46 PM   #137
siiip5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
What they're showing is new though - new to the iPhone.

Apple has never been one to cater to pressure from customers or other companies. If they did, we would've had Flash a long time ago. They do what they want to do, at their own speed and in their own way. Not sure why anyone would want it any other way. Android manufacturers add features at the speed of light. There's no point in Apple doing the same thing.
True, when Jobs was running the show. Most def not true now.

Proof of this: 7" iPad Mini, Maps fiasco, speeding up product launches, dropping new products (ipad 3?) and now it appears Apple will be building a cheap, plastic iPhone.
If everything was hunky dory in Apples garden, do you honestly believe we'd be seeing this?
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 12:51 PM   #138
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
True, when Jobs was running the show. Most def not true now.

Proof of this: 7" iPad Mini, Maps fiasco, speeding up product launches, dropping new products (ipad 3?) and now it appears Apple will be building a cheap, plastic iPhone.
If everything was hunky dory in Apples garden, do you honestly believe we'd be seeing this?
They built two plastic phones before and if they are going to implement NFC, they need to go back to plastic or some type of ceramic or back to a glass back with plastic underneath.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:08 PM   #139
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
True, when Jobs was running the show. Most def not true now.

Proof of this: 7" iPad Mini, Maps fiasco, speeding up product launches, dropping new products (ipad 3?) and now it appears Apple will be building a cheap, plastic iPhone.
If everything was hunky dory in Apples garden, do you honestly believe we'd be seeing this?
I think that they only sped up the iPad 4 launch because of lightning. Seems like they wanted all of their products to get onto the new connector.

Cheap, plastic iPhone are rumours.

Maps fiasco... if they were bowing to any kind of pressure we'd have Google Maps back as default by now.

7" iPad Mini - you may have a point with that.
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:14 PM   #140
siiip5
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegastouch View Post
They built two plastic phones before and if they are going to implement NFC, they need to go back to plastic or some type of ceramic or back to a glass back with plastic underneath.
The current design can implement NFC without issue. Between the Apple logo, top and bottom glass parts, it isn't an issue. Apple won't go plastic for NFC. Apple will go plastic because they can't compete with Samsung in marketshare. This is Apple caving in and entering the race "to the bottom" as many on this board put it.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by matttye View Post
I think that they only sped up the iPad 4 launch because of lightning. Seems like they wanted all of their products to get onto the new connector.

Cheap, plastic iPhone are rumours.

Maps fiasco... if they were bowing to any kind of pressure we'd have Google Maps back as default by now.

7" iPad Mini - you may have a point with that.
Maps was a 2 part affair. Apple pulled all Google maps, so users could only go only. Apple forces consumer to use Apple maps. Consumers tell Apple their product sucks. Tim Cook apologizes and allow Google apps back into the app store. Google apps again take up majority of top 10 spots in the app store.

Not sure, but this looks like Apple bowing down to consumer pressure? Well, the general public sees it this way, anyway.
siiip5 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:18 PM   #141
onthecouchagain
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
It's folly to think Apple doesn't pay attention to consumers and journalists. To some degree, they do. They would love it to be a secret that they do. The Apple vs. Samsung trials revealed they pay quite close attention to competition, consumers, journalists.

I don't see how any company could become successful by not.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:23 PM   #142
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Retina Screen isn't a good argument it this. A retina screen is more beneficial than wireless charging.

A better example is noise cancellation or GLONASS as a campaign.
How so? I'm using a macbook air right now, and I see no benefit to spending an additional $600 for a retina display. Will it make me a faster typist? Can I write code faster? Not at all, it's a cosmetic difference that enhances qualitative usability, not quantitative usability. Just like wireless charging.

If Apple can advertise the retina display, why not Nokia advertise wireless charging?
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:32 PM   #143
blackhand1001
macrumors 68030
 
blackhand1001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishman View Post
Then what is the mat replacing?
You leave the mat in your main charging spot, like in your room. If you need to charge it at work or somewhere else you can use the microusb cable (the mat comes with its own microusb so you can use the included one with the phone elsewhere). I don't understand why you are having such a hard time understanding this.
__________________
Macbook 2008
HP Dv7t - 2.53 ghz, 9600m GT, WSXGA+, 120gb ssd, 250 gb 7200rpm
Core i7 3770k, 8gb ram, 2x 120gb sdd raid0, 500gb hdd, GTX 460
Moto X Dev Edition (VZW) Nexus 7
blackhand1001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:34 PM   #144
chrf097
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
How so? I'm using a macbook air right now, and I see no benefit to spending an additional $600 for a retina display. Will it make me a faster typist? Can I write code faster? Not at all, it's a cosmetic difference that enhances qualitative usability, not quantitative usability. Just like wireless charging.

If Apple can advertise the retina display, why not Nokia advertise wireless charging?
Because with a retina display you can see better detail and see work clearer, thus aiding graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, engineers w/ 3D models, etc. Of course you don't need retina to do all that, but it actually does help ensure better quality and accuracy.

Wireless charging aids what, people who are so lazy they need half a second?
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.0.2 | Verizon
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.0.2

chrf097 is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:36 PM   #145
matttye
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Lincoln, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
Maps was a 2 part affair. Apple pulled all Google maps, so users could only go only. Apple forces consumer to use Apple maps. Consumers tell Apple their product sucks. Tim Cook apologizes and allow Google apps back into the app store. Google apps again take up majority of top 10 spots in the app store.

Not sure, but this looks like Apple bowing down to consumer pressure? Well, the general public sees it this way, anyway.
What makes you think they ever didn't allow Google Maps back anyway? Maybe it just wasn't ready?

They've never had a problem with allowing Google's apps before; Gmail, YouTube, Google Search, etc.

The apology was due to massive criticism, they didn't really have a choice on that
__________________
iPad 2 16GB Black (WiFi+3G) -- iPhone 5s 64GB Space Grey.
matttye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:51 PM   #146
SomeDudeAsking
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Because with a retina display you can see better detail and see work clearer, thus aiding graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, engineers w/ 3D models, etc. Of course you don't need retina to do all that, but it actually does help ensure better quality and accuracy.

Wireless charging aids what, people who are so lazy they need half a second?
I think this is a case of "because the iPhone doesn't have it then it must be.....". Real designers and engineers don't do work on an iPhone.

Wireless charging is very useful whether you can see it or not. I myself would use it in the car so that I can just drop my phone into a holder that would automatically start charging it in case I want to call up Google maps by voice. Using charging cables is a hassle whatever device it is. With wireless charging, it is an elegant immediate one handed drop into the holder whereas charging cables take two hands and take some significant seconds to both attach and detach. Charging cables also get tangled easily in a car. The user experience of the wireless charging Andriod phones are much better than an iPhone because of this simplicity.
SomeDudeAsking is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:53 PM   #147
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604
 
thejadedmonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Pa
Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Because with a retina display you can see better detail and see work clearer, thus aiding graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, engineers w/ 3D models, etc. Of course you don't need retina to do all that, but it actually does help ensure better quality and accuracy.

Wireless charging aids what, people who are so lazy they need half a second?
What? You're telling me that work I've done isn't the best it could be, because my display wasn't hi-DPI? Does your comparison extend to iMac's, too? Because by your argument graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, and CAD engineers should avoid desktop computers because they won't be able to "see better detail and see work clearer".

Do you even read what you type?

Wireless charging, as I've said before, aids convenience. Seeing as everything is about convenience - or do you still enjoy using punch cards to program your computer - what's wrong with advertising it?
__________________
MacBook 17" MacBook Pro iPod Nano Apple TV
PS4 Custom Windows 8.1 Desktop WP8.1
"Good judgment comes from experience,
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:57 PM   #148
jeffe
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrf097 View Post
Because with a retina display you can see better detail and see work clearer, thus aiding graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, engineers w/ 3D models, etc. Of course you don't need retina to do all that, but it actually does help ensure better quality and accuracy.

Wireless charging aids what, people who are so lazy they need half a second?
Wireless charging can be pretty handy if you have any place you normally keep your phone where it is not always necessarily plugged in.. A place like this for me is at work where I spend much of the day at my desk but also take my phone if I get up for some reason. i don't always plug in my phone every time I sit down because I might have to get up a minute later.

Essentially, wireless charging will keep my phone better charged and with more convenience at my work than charging alone with just a cord. My phone would also have a greater charge so I'd be much less likely to need to use it while plugged into a cord later on too.
jeffe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 01:57 PM   #149
Vegastouch
macrumors 601
 
Vegastouch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Quote:
Originally Posted by siiip5 View Post
The current design can implement NFC without issue. Between the Apple logo, top and bottom glass parts, it isn't an issue. Apple won't go plastic for NFC. Apple will go plastic because they can't compete with Samsung in marketshare. This is Apple caving in and entering the race "to the bottom" as many on this board put it.
According to who? If you read up on NFC it says that it cant be around any metal for it to work because the signal is not real strong and why you have to be real close if not be touching phones together and the metal will interfere if there is any near by so i doubt the current design will work.
Vegastouch is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2013, 02:10 PM   #150
chrf097
Thread Starter
macrumors 68030
 
chrf097's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeDudeAsking View Post
I think this is a case of "because the iPhone doesn't have it then it must be.....". Real designers and engineers don't do work on an iPhone.

Wireless charging is very useful whether you can see it or not. I myself would use it in the car so that I can just drop my phone into a holder that would automatically start charging it in case I want to call up Google maps by voice. Using charging cables is a hassle whatever device it is. With wireless charging, it is an elegant immediate one handed drop into the holder whereas charging cables take two hands and take some significant seconds to both attach and detach. Charging cables also get tangled easily in a car. The user experience of the wireless charging Andriod phones are much better than an iPhone because of this simplicity.
He was comparing Wireless charging to desktop retina displays, not the one on the iPhone.

It's not a hassle at all, what are you talking about? The amount of time it takes for me to plug my iPhone in, my laptop in, whatever it is, takes the same amount of time as setting it down and picking it back up, or drop my phone into a dock and taking it out. A dock would provide multimedia features that any wireless charging mat has yet to do, while a cord is better for data transfer if I needed to do that.


Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
What? You're telling me that work I've done isn't the best it could be, because my display wasn't hi-DPI? Does your comparison extend to iMac's, too? Because by your argument graphic designers, videographers, desktop publishers, and CAD engineers should avoid desktop computers because they won't be able to "see better detail and see work clearer".

Do you even read what you type?

Wireless charging, as I've said before, aids convenience. Seeing as everything is about convenience - or do you still enjoy using punch cards to program your computer - what's wrong with advertising it?
I read what I type, but obviously you aren't.

1) I'm not saying the work couldn't be done as best as you can, but having done all 3 of the examples I've listed and being intermediately experienced with each, having a retina display is actually very helpful and handy.

2) Advertising wireless charging, as I said before in so many posts you keep ignoring, should be toned down. Businesses and companies are pushing wireless charging as a holy god feature, and it's not. Its a gimmick. Is it cool? Sure for like the first 30 minutes, but then it's just another feature. Advertise it as you wish, but it's the same as trying to highlight as a feature as highlighting noise cancellation or a panoramic mode or the endless silly features Samsung came up with (that aren't even new, they just pretend they are) as a god holy feature.

If I buy a phone and it has wireless charging, cool, maybe i'll even use it, but it should NOT be considered a key selling point, and people shouldn't buy phones just because it has wireless charging.
__________________
13" Macbook Pro | Mac OS 10.10 | 2.4GHz Core i5 | 8 GB RAM | 500 GB
iPhone 6 | Gold | 16GB | iOS 8.0.2 | Verizon
iPad mini Retina | Space Gray | 16 GB WiFi | iOS 8.0.2

chrf097 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Crack in plastic around charging point. jamiepacke MacBook 7 May 30, 2013 08:21 PM
What is your selling point for the iPhone or any iDevices Appl3FTW iPhone 25 Jan 26, 2013 11:24 PM
Biggest selling point of the iPad Mini for me... macbook123 iPad 33 Oct 30, 2012 01:51 AM
What's the point of "Wireless Charging" AustinIllini iPhone 93 Oct 3, 2012 04:52 PM
Many thought Siri will be a major selling point for iPad 4, now what? coolwater iPad 31 Jun 24, 2012 02:41 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:29 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC