Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheIrwinner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I have a new late 2012 27" iMac 3.2/680mx/Fusion. Absolutely the best mac I've ever owned or used(6 since 1995). One reason I bought the iMac was for convenient & fast PC gaming(the 680mx has easily taken everything I've thrown at it), and using Win8 and a 100GB partition, I've run out of room on the bootcamp partition. Without wanting to reconfigure Bootcamp setup and reinstall Win8 and all games etc., is it possible to just get a USB drive and install additional games on a PC formatted thumb drive(or external hdd) for access while running Win8? Will Windows allow me to install games on a partition different from the system disk?

Or is this a question for forums.pcrumors.com ;)?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
I have a new late 2012 27" iMac 3.2/680mx/Fusion. Absolutely the best mac I've ever owned or used(6 since 1995). One reason I bought the iMac was for convenient & fast PC gaming(the 680mx has easily taken everything I've thrown at it), and using Win8 and a 100GB partition, I've run out of room on the bootcamp partition. Without wanting to reconfigure Bootcamp setup and reinstall Win8 and all games etc., is it possible to just get a USB drive and install additional games on a PC formatted thumb drive(or external hdd) for access while running Win8? Will Windows allow me to install games on a partition different from the system disk?

Or is this a question for forums.pcrumors.com ;)?

I don't see why you couldn't make an executable .iso file copied from the game and just run it through the usb port. Seems like that would be pretty straightforward.

TheIrwinner

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2012
Cincinnati, OH
I don't see why you couldn't make an executable .iso file copied from the game and just run it through the usb port. Seems like that would be pretty straightforward.

I'll give it a shot. Mainly using Steam to download games, so I will have to designate an alternate installation disk...I will download a demo and post my results...

Quad5Ny

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
New York, USA
Using a external drive will work fine, just make sure its USB 3 or ThunderBolt. Steam even has a option for this; Settings > Downloads+Cloud > Steam Library Folders > Add Library Folder.

If you can find a ThunderBolt drive for a decent price, I would go with that because it has less CPU overhead (i.e. none). By overhead I mean it uses a percentage of your processer while transferring files. That's important when you already have a game that's using 100% of your CPU.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.