Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:14 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Hospital Uses iPads to Connect Mothers With Newborn Babies

Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles has debuted (via TUAW) a new iPad program that allows mothers who are not able to visit with their newborn babies in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) to connect with them via a video chat on multiple iPads, dubbed BabyTime.

The program is available to mothers who undergo cesarean sections or other complications during pregnancy and will receive an iPad while the partner iPad will be set up next to the baby's incubator in the NICU. Mothers will be able to virtually visit their babies on a secured Internet connection twice a day.
Quote:
"BabyTime will help bridge communication with the family and the baby's medical team and is an excellent use of technology to help new mothers bond with their babies, even when they cannot be physically at their babies' bedside," said*Charles F. Simmons Jr., MD, chair of the*Cedars-Sinai Department of Pediatrics*and Ruth and Harry Roman Chair in Neonatology. "When doctors and nurses are treating a newborn in the NICU, mom can be right there asking questions and getting updates, even if she's on a different floor."
Simmons estimated that 20 to 30 percent of mothers who undergo c-sections do not feel well enough to travel to meet their babies in the NICU. The goal of the program is to reduce any stress or fear that mothers may have about their new babies, while allowing the mothers to communicate with doctors and nurses.

Article Link: Hospital Uses iPads to Connect Mothers With Newborn Babies
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:24 PM   #2
irDigital0l

Nice...but somewhat random.
irDigital0l is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:29 PM   #3
Dainin
macrumors regular

Looks to me like setting up a webcam would be easier than having a second nurse stand there and aim it. This would be viewed by the mother on an iPad.
Dainin is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:30 PM   #4
locoboi187
macrumors 6502a

Rather have the baby in the hands of the mother. Screw that virtual stuff and the whole "not allowed to touch the newborn" crap
locoboi187 is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:37 PM   #5
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by locoboi187 View Post
Rather have the baby in the hands of the mother. Screw that virtual stuff and the whole "not allowed to touch the newborn" crap
If the baby is in the incubator, for obvious reasons shouldn't be unnecessarily touched by anyone including the mother.

Great idea, while also preparing future iPad users...
Babies will feel helpless without an iPad in their crib! Heheh!
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:42 PM   #6
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
...Great idea, while also preparing future iPad users...
That's wonderful. Not!?
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 10:58 PM   #7
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amazing Iceman View Post
Great idea, while also preparing future iPad users...
Apple stockholders rejoice as people are addicted to Apple's products at ever younger ages. (That's why AAPL is up 1% today.)

Next up, fetuses will receive iPod Touches after being in the womb for 12 weeks. They'll be able to initiate "FetusTime" with their pregnant mothers at any time up until, and even during, birth.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:15 PM   #8
nagromme
macrumors G5

This is all well and good at first: see your baby on-screen twice a day. But eventually you're still going to have to touch the hideous thing! Again and again. Day after day after day. This is at best a very limited solution to the baby problem.
nagromme is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:20 PM   #9
Swift
macrumors 65816

Look at the eyes

Isn't there something demented about these nurses -- I'm sure it's just a bad picture, but LOOK!
Swift is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:27 PM   #10
Amazing Iceman
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by artofwarfare View Post
apple stockholders rejoice as people are addicted to apple's products at ever younger ages. (that's why aapl is up 1% today.)

next up, fetuses will receive ipod touches after being in the womb for 12 weeks. They'll be able to initiate "fetustime" with their pregnant mothers at any time up until, and even during, birth.
lol!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Retrofire View Post
That's wonderful. Not!?
iPad, iPad Mini and the new iPad Baby!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swift View Post
Isn't there something demented about these nurses -- I'm sure it's just a bad picture, but LOOK!
Now the Mom will be able to see when a nurse flips and starts beating the baby or doing things not supposed to do.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:29 PM   #11
theheadguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to theheadguy
Quote:
Watch out boys, another armchair doctor here. Perhaps the mother is ill, or the newborn-- did that "crap" occur to you?. They don't separate mothers and newborns unless it's necessary now.
Old Apr 8, 2013, 11:39 PM   #12
Mr. Retrofire
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtOfWarfare View Post
...Next up, fetuses will receive iPod Touches after being in the womb for 12 weeks. They'll be able to initiate "FetusTime" with their pregnant mothers at any time up until, and even during, birth.
Why not!?
Mr. Retrofire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 12:49 AM   #13
Candlelight
macrumors 6502

Geez, a day old and it already has an Apple ID, which as we all know are for life.
Candlelight is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:30 AM   #14
Carlanga
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainin View Post
Looks to me like setting up a webcam would be easier than having a second nurse stand there and aim it. This would be viewed by the mother on an iPad.
why do you want to buy a webcam, just get a nice holder that can rotate as needed.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 02:32 AM   #15
robbysibrahim
macrumors member

Um...you mean they turned on Skype? Fascinating.
robbysibrahim is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 03:30 AM   #16
tech4all
macrumors 68040

Great now the baby will his or her mommy is an iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbysibrahim View Post
Um...you mean they turned on Skype? Fascinating.
You missed the point.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:39 AM   #17
RobQuads
macrumors regular

Quote:
As someone who has just spent 8 weeks with their twins in special care anything they can do to make it better is great news. There are so many reasons why the mum can't be there may of which I witnessed.
RobQuads is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 05:49 AM   #18
jm001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dainin View Post
Webcam that has to be attached to a computer or the built-in one on a laptop? Hence the use of the less cumbersome and smaller footprint iPad. In reality the hospital probably has some mount or stand for the iPad.
jm001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 06:16 AM   #19
ConCat
Banned

That kid has a serious case of Frankenbaby.
ConCat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:01 AM   #20
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobQuads View Post
As someone who has just spent 8 weeks with their twins in special care anything they can do to make it better is great news. There are so many reasons why the mum can't be there may of which I witnessed.
Exactly. We didn't spend very long in special care with our son, at least compared with you, but this would've been very relieving and comforting to have had we not been able to be with him. Given the choice to either see him on a screen or to not see him at all, we would've chosen the screen without hesitation. Luckily for us, it didn't come to that. Kudos to the hospital for trying. And best of luck to you and your twins.
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:16 AM   #21
mtfbwy
macrumors member

I had a child who spent 3+ month in the ICU and stuff like this is invaluable. The NICU usually also has very restricted visiting hours.

I led development on a much better system that is currently deployed at Texas Health in Houston. Our system has permanently mounted IP cameras and speakers so the parents can interact with premature babies in incubators. This setup with ipads seems like a hassle for hospital staff. Our system allows mobile and web-based access to the camera.
mtfbwy is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:18 AM   #22
Daws001
macrumors regular

What if the baby gets trapped in the iPad?
Daws001 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:19 AM   #23
jmdeegan
macrumors member

As someone who, between micro-preemie triplets spent over 6 months in the NICU, i have mixed feelings on this.

my wife and i got up to see them as much as possible while she was still in the hospital, in spite of the C-section and other fun stitching she endured. i wheeled her up in a wheel chair the first morning, but pretty sure by the 2nd day she was hell bent on getting up on her own (thats what bed rest will do to you).

where something like this would be nice, i think, is those other like 12 hours a day that one of us wasn't bedside. so we could see them before we went to sleep, or when we woke up. as it was, we called their nurses when we woke up and before bed to get our usual status reports, and spent pretty much all day every day there.

anything to get to see more of your baby isn't necessarily a bad thing.

tho, for most babies in the NICU, the stock photo they used is not really indicative. baby looks like they are just about ready to go home, and the isolette isn't in there at all.
jmdeegan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:24 AM   #24
Eduardo1971
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheadguy View Post
Watch out boys, another armchair doctor here. Perhaps the mother is ill, or the newborn-- did that "crap" occur to you?. They don't separate mothers and newborns unless it's necessary now.
You do know the person responding was being sarcastic? You must have missed the smilie face at the end.

D-oh!
Old Apr 9, 2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Is that an iMac I see in the distance?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion