Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/01/strategy-analytics-apple-tops-us-phone-market-for-q4-2012/

So I saw this article on Engadget today, and was kind of curious as to what Apple has to do with the next iPhone to get back to the top? I think the iPhone 5 sales are starting to tapper off a little, so what will it take to bring them back? I think Samsung will release the galaxy s4 this year, and seeing how well the s3 has done I have a feeling the s4 well fare pretty well. I am not a big fan of Samsung, so I would like to see Apple or another company take it.

Do you guys think Apple needs the iPhone 5s (or whatever the new one will be called) to be amazing or is is about iOS? I have heard it said and I say it sometimes myself that iOS is a bit stale, so would it boost Apple back to the top with a major iOS UI overhaul? I don't think the next iPhone will be a major upgrade, so if the iPhone 5 sales have already started to slow I am not sure a updated 5s would do the trick. Now of course the time right after the release of a new iPhone will boost sales, but will that be enough?

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Revamp iOS. It's become a usability wreck.

UI is a mess. Sometimes Airplay is blue, sometimes orange. Some UI has skewmorphism, other stuff doesn't.

Some 'back buttons' are at the bottom left, some are at the top left and impossible to reach one handed.

Allow setting default apps. Browser, Mail, etc.

Last edited:

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Wow surprise to see comments on the revamp of iOS. The last thread I started could not disagree more. They loved what is is, said it was stable. I hope they revamp make all the power the iphone 5 I have worth every penny I paid for it. I think that is just want Apple needs.

VolceOntra

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2007
Like other said, the whole interface is becoming increasingly inconsistent, dull, and overall cumbersome to use.

hovscorpion12

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2011
USA
1. Add more features into IOS 7. (Insanely better multitasking, quick settings in notification center, themes, widgets.) Ultimately most of the top Jailbreak features that have been shown last month.

2. Better screen resolution. (1280x1080, 1920x1080, 1280x720). I don't mind a 4" screen, maybe even a 4.2" screen. Just provide a better resolution with possibly 400 PPI.

3. NFC

4. 2MP & 1080 front facing camera

5. 12MP back camera with 1080 video recording at 60 fps

6. Landscape everything. (home screen, All it's pre-loaded apps). just like the iPad.

Firestrife

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2008
Miami
the iOS revision that everyone is calling for is definitely true. Stability is nice and all but thats pretty much saying were settled and do not want to progress forward.
I really want them to blow our socks off with iOS 7 because I really do love Apple but I do not want to look at a settled down apple that is content and no longer experimenting.

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
http://www.engadget.com/2013/02/01/strategy-analytics-apple-tops-us-phone-market-for-q4-2012/

So I saw this article on Engadget today, and was kind of curious as to what Apple has to do with the next iPhone to get back to the top? I think the iPhone 5 sales are starting to tapper off a little, so what will it take to bring them back?

You may have misread the article. This is the first time ever that the iPhone (a smart phone), has outsold Samsung's entire line-up of phones (smartphones + dumbphones).

You're asking what Apple needs to do to put the iPhone back up top? The iPhone has just sold more than any other smartphone in history.

They're already on top.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
the iOS revision that everyone is calling for is definitely true. Stability is nice and all but thats pretty much saying were settled and do not want to progress forward.
I really want them to blow our socks off with iOS 7 because I really do love Apple but I do not want to look at a settled down apple that is content and no longer experimenting.

These is what I would like to see. I think iOS is super stable and reliable it just needs a new face.

SnowLeopard2008

macrumors 604
Jul 4, 2008
Silicon Valley
1. Add more features into IOS 7. (Insanely better multitasking, quick settings in notification center, themes, widgets.) Ultimately most of the top Jailbreak features that have been shown last month.

2. Better screen resolution. (1280x1080, 1920x1080, 1280x720). I don't mind a 4" screen, maybe even a 4.2" screen. Just provide a better resolution with possibly 400 PPI.

3. NFC

4. 2MP & 1080 front facing camera

5. 12MP back camera with 1080 video recording at 60 fps

6. Landscape everything. (home screen, All it's pre-loaded apps). just like the iPad.

1. Very likely, but not everything
2. No, extra resolution is pointless
3. No, NFC has security problems and no one uses it
4. Maybe
5. 60fps? Probably not but 12MP is very likely
6. No, usability nightmare

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
I think there will be a 5S and cheaper iphone (for some markets) this year.
5S:
Faster
Same screen, maybe new tech (IGZO).
NFC
12/13mp camera
1080p front camera (maybe)
128gb (only if the iPad 128gb uses 1 flash chip)
More LTE support

I have probably forgotten some easy things but this is the basics.

I think iOS 7 will be much larger an update than iOS 6 was.

I also think that the 2014 iPhone will be a massive design and size change.
iOS 8 will then again be revamped slightly and updated to account for this.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I think there will be a 5S and cheaper iphone (for some markets) this year.
5S:
Faster
Same screen, maybe new tech (IGZO).
NFC
12/13mp camera
1080p front camera (maybe)
128gb (only if the iPad 128gb uses 1 flash chip)
More LTE support

I have probably forgotten some easy things but this is the basics.

I think iOS 7 will be much larger an update than iOS 6 was.

I also think that the 2014 iPhone will be a massive design and size change.
iOS 8 will then again be revamped slightly and updated to account for this.

If iOS 7 is larger update than iOS 6 do you think we will get a new UI. I know the saying is if I ain't broke don't fix it, but at some point there has to be some newness brought to iOS right?

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
If iOS 7 is larger update than iOS 6 do you think we will get a new UI. I know the saying is if I ain't broke don't fix it, but at some point there has to be some newness brought to iOS right?

I hope there is some freshness brought in.

Everyone says that Ive's in charge now, it's going to be so different, but he's only been in charge for a few months, and any super large changes I would assume would take more than that amount of time to implement.

Also if they are actually looking at releasing a larger sized (4.5"+) iPhone in 2014 (I think this year is too soon) they will want to change around the OS more then, with the new screen realestate.

iOS 7 I believe will be bigger than iOS 6, but I don't have a lot of hope for the core app layout to be any different, instead they might refine other areas like notifications, multitasking, the look and feel of some apps... etc

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I hope there is some freshness brought in.

Everyone says that Ive's in charge now, it's going to be so different, but he's only been in charge for a few months, and any super large changes I would assume would take more than that amount of time to implement.

Also if they are actually looking at releasing a larger sized (4.5"+) iPhone in 2014 (I think this year is too soon) they will want to change around the OS more then, with the new screen realestate.

iOS 7 I believe will be bigger than iOS 6, but I don't have a lot of hope for the core app layout to be any different, instead they might refine other areas like notifications, multitasking, the look and feel of some apps... etc

Yea I and fell like that is what they have been doing with iOS 2,3,4,5, and 6. I think app layout is a much needed change, but again I don't have high hope either. I think if Apple wants to be the big dog again they will have to at some point.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You may have misread the article. This is the first time ever that the iPhone (a smart phone), has outsold Samsung's entire line-up of phones (smartphones + dumbphones).

You're asking what Apple needs to do to put the iPhone back up top? The iPhone has just sold more than any other smartphone in history.

They're already on top.

People seem to ignore facts :p

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

They're already on top.

Sure the iphone alone did get to where what the S3, and maybe the Note Note 2 sales were last year. Yea Iphone is just one phone compared to Samsung what maybe 3 phones that sell. The point I was trying to make is iphone was leading no matter what. They are not anymore. My question is what do they need to do to get back to the top with just the iphone.

Stop trolling!

----------

People seem to ignore facts :p

I did not ignore any fact like I said before the iphone was leading even with it just being one phone now it is not. What does it have to do to get back there with Samsung and the other carriers having multiple phones?

----------

For those of you saying we will get a 4+ inch phone this year I just don't see Apple doing that. Lets look back at the last 6 years of iPhones. Each year we just get an s model of the phone we already have. I think we will see that again. Also it took apple this long to get a 4inch screen I don't think we see any bigger for a long time. If I got one wish I just want the iphone just a bit wider.

Also I don't know that Apple problem is the design of the phone I think it is one of the best looking phones. I think we have a great phone with an old OS. Get iOS up to date and Apple right back were they should be.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Sure the iphone alone did get to where what the S3, and maybe the Note Note 2 sales were last year. Yea Iphone is just one phone compared to Samsung what maybe 3 phones that sell. The point I was trying to make is iphone was leading no matter what. They are not anymore. My question is what do they need to do to get back to the top with just the iphone.

Stop trolling!

----------

I did not ignore any fact like I said before the iphone was leading even with it just being one phone now it is not. What does it have to do to get back there with Samsung and the other carriers having multiple phones?

Apple sells 6 phones. Samsung sells god knows how many, probably hundreds? This latest news is comparing all phones, not just smartphones, so it's a pretty convincing victory when Apple is selling more phones than every other manufacturer in the US and they don't even sell any feature phones.

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Apple sells 6 phones. Samsung sells god knows how many, probably hundreds? This latest news is comparing all phones, not just smartphones, so it's a pretty convincing victory when Apple is selling more phones than every other manufacturer in the US and they don't even sell any feature phones.

What do you mean by feature phone?

Also look at what I said. Yes the iphone is selling great (it is one phone not 6. It has 6 different models but one phone), but apple has before lead all phone makers in sales. I want to know how they do that again.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
What do you mean by feature phone?

Also look at what I said. Yes the iphone is selling great (it is one phone not 6. It has 6 different models but one phone), but apple has before lead all phone makers in sales. I want to know how they do that again.

Feature phone = dumb phone. Those old small things with actual buttons and no touch screen :p

Apple IS leading all phone makers in sales (in the US).

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012

Stop trolling!

You are incorrect. The source you quoted shows that the iPhone has outsold all Samsung phones combined over the holiday quarter. According to Samsung, this accounts for 153 different phones, across multiple operating systems, both smartphones and dumbphones.

Furthermore, the iPhone has outsold all Samsung smartphones combined over the year.

Do you have a source showing this is wrong?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
Feature phone = dumb phone. Those old small things with actual buttons and no touch screen :p

Apple IS leading all phone makers in sales (in the US).

Ok I am done with you. You keep ignore and only saying what you want to say. I think Apple has done better in the past they need to get back there.

----------

You are incorrect. The source you quoted shows that the iPhone has outsold all Samsung phones combined over the holiday quarter. According to Samsung, this accounts for 153 different phones, across multiple operating systems, both smartphones and dumbphones.

Furthermore, the iPhone has outsold all Samsung smartphones combined over the year.

Yes the article said that the iphone was out sold for the year by Samsung phones. Read it again. Also great the iphone had good holiday sales that is not what I posting about.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Ok I am done with you. You keep ignore and only saying what you want to say. I think Apple has done better in the past they need to get back there.

I'm not sure what you want me to say..you keep saying you want to know how Apple will get back on top but they just got to the top in the US.

Do you mean top of the world?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012
I'm not sure what you want me to say..you keep saying you want to know how Apple will get back on top but they just got to the top in the US.

Do you mean top of the world?

No how are they going to put sale Samsung over the 2013 year. They has one good quarter, but that does not mean they are back on top.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Yes the article said that the iphone was out sold for the year by Samsung phones. Read it again. Also great the iphone had good holiday sales that is not what I posting about.

It did have good holiday sales but I think this news means more than that. This is the first time Apple has beat Samsung since 2008 in total phone sales.

Why?

Maybe because of the i5's bigger screen?

Brounmoney

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2012

This is a direct quote from the article
"Apple's resurgence with its new smartphone couldn't catch up with Samsung's lead earlier in the year, however, with the Korean phone-maker commanding a 31.8 percent share of all smartphones shipped over the last 12 months. Apple was next with 26.2 percent, while LG came third with 12.3 percent of all phones sold."
Does that tell you anything?

----------

It did have good holiday sales but I think this news means more than that. This is the first time Apple has beat Samsung since 2008 in total phone sales.

Why?

Maybe because of the i5's bigger screen?

You do realize iphone 5 sales are not as good as they were projected to be right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.