Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I picked up a Samsung SE506BB slim external USB blu-ray burner to use with my new iMac to rip Blu-rays using Make MKV. Even though the drive is rated at 6X blu-ray read speed the fastest ripping speeds I get is 2.2X.

Are there any slim external drives that return a faster rip speed with MakeMkv?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
I picked up a Samsung SE506BB slim external USB blu-ray burner to use with my new iMac to rip Blu-rays using Make MKV. Even though the drive is rated at 6X blu-ray read speed the fastest ripping speeds I get is 2.2X.

Are there any slim external drives that return a faster rip speed with MakeMkv?
I can't suggest a different drive because I am not familiar with all of them. But I would venture to guess that you are experience the effect of Rip Lock, which most drives have incorporated to limit the ripping speed. My Plexar does does about 3X max but is rated higher.

AlabamaSlammer

macrumors 6502
Feb 8, 2012
Alabama

Attachments

• 41alIdLiGrL.jpeg
    41alIdLiGrL.jpeg
    25.1 KB · Views: 352

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Thanks for the recommendation... I already have a full size drive actually, an LG that is in an external enclosure.... but it's big, super noisy, etc, so I bought the smaller drive to make things less obtrusive on the desktop.

Riplock is probably the issue, but I don't know that any firmware exists for the Samsung to get around it.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Thanks for the recommendation... I already have a full size drive actually, an LG that is in an external enclosure.... but it's big, super noisy, etc, so I bought the smaller drive to make things less obtrusive on the desktop.

Riplock is probably the issue, but I don't know that any firmware exists for the Samsung to get around it.
I have seen some firmware hacks to remove it. And that is certainly not my area of knowledge.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Requires re-flash of the drive with firmware specifically designed to turn off Riplock. This does not appear to exist for the SE-506 drive.

CWallace

macrumors G4
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I have the SE506BB connected via USB2 and on single-layer commercial disks it starts out at around 1.6x and then gets faster as it reads in (up to around 2.6x). Speeds ripping commercial DVDs are about as fast as the built in ODD on my 2011 iMac, which I believe does have RipLock.

On dual-layer discs, some folks report speeds upwards of 4x.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I have the SE506BB connected via USB2 and on single-layer commercial disks it starts out at around 1.6x and then gets faster as it reads in (up to around 2.6x). Speeds ripping commercial DVDs are about as fast as the built in ODD on my 2011 iMac, which I believe does have RipLock.

On dual-layer discs, some folks report speeds upwards of 4x.

dual-layer DVD or Blu-ray?

I've only ripped blu-ray with it and have yet to see better than 2.2X speeds. Sounds like it's about normal.

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I'd like to jump in here too....I'm looking for a slimline BluRay reader/CD-DVD burner (doesn't have to burn BluRay - just read them). I'd like it to be fairly reliable though. The $50 ones I see on newegg get crappy reviews. Any ideas out there?

taylord22

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
I researched and tested a few external drives (including the 12x samsung), but I finally ended up with an internal drive in a USB enclosure...perfection. Far greater bang for buck if high read speeds and USB 3.0 are important to you.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I researched and tested a few external drives (including the 12x samsung), but I finally ended up with an internal drive in a USB enclosure...perfection. Far greater bang for buck if high read speeds and USB 3.0 are important to you.

There is no optical drive out there that can saturate the speed of USB 2, let alone USB 3 so USB 3 is totally unnecessary in this kind of application.

What MakeMKV rip speeds do you get with your drive and what model is it?

----------

I'd like to jump in here too....I'm looking for a slimline BluRay reader/CD-DVD burner (doesn't have to burn BluRay - just read them). I'd like it to be fairly reliable though. The $50 ones I see on newegg get crappy reviews. Any ideas out there?

There is an LG model that is available on eBay for about $65. I was going to go with that one, but decided that for an extra $30 the physically smaller Samsung unit would probably be preferable. Supposedly the Samsung has superior error correction for reading discs with scratches also.

taylord22

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2012
There is no optical drive out there that can saturate the speed of USB 2, let alone USB 3 so USB 3 is totally unnecessary in this kind of application.

What MakeMKV rip speeds do you get with your drive and what model is it?

http://www.amazon.com/LG-Electronic...qid=1360082494&sr=8-4&keywords=blu+ray+burner

It does have minor issues with reading damaged discs, but the one time I've encountered the problem all it took was a little pledge to get around it. Really consistent rips...I'll get the exact speed for you later, but from a time-frame perspective, it's probably around 20-30% faster than the Samsung external that I had previously. But the consistency/quality of the rips is where the big difference is...

I average anywhere from 7-9x on most films...

Also, while you're right about USB 2.0 speeds, I've yet to encounter USB 2.0 transfer speeds that actually are as high/consistent as their listed 'theoretical speeds' actually are. For a small premium, I'm side-stepping that mental worry and future proofing myself with my 3.0 enclosure. At least, that's my justification for the extra $15

Last edited:

fhall1

macrumors 68040
Dec 18, 2007
(Central) NY State of mind
I ended up getting the Samsung...for few bucks more it'll burn BR (even though I don't intend to) and it seems to get good reveiws for reliability and compatibility.

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Yeah, I forgot to mention that... one of the reasons I picked the 506-BB is that it was only $25 more and burned BD. While I don't believe I will ever use that functionality it's nice to have it in the event something changes my mind down the road.

MadJens

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2013
I picked up a SE-506BB myself but I can't use it with the newest beta version of MakeMKV. The program or drive always fail to read the content of the disc and I get these errors called OS error - posix:00404040 and Posix error - Input/output error! Is there something I need to make sure before using the drive?

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
I picked up a SE-506BB myself but I can't use it with the newest beta version of MakeMKV. The program or drive always fail to read the content of the disc and I get these errors called OS error - posix:00404040 and Posix error - Input/output error! Is there something I need to make sure before using the drive?

You should report the trouble in the MakeMKV forums, that's what they're there for. :)

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Sep 14, 2007
Thanks I will do that. I just thought maybe you guys had some tips.

Well, I don't have the 506BB any longer, but when I did I did not have any trouble with MakeMKV, so perhaps the version you are now testing broke something. Also, make sure that you are using DASPI to interface MakeMKV to the BD unit.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.