Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues

Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:14 PM   #1
glocke12
Banned

Romney campaign donated $90K to Red Cross after election

damn those evil greedy rich republicans giving away money...

http://thehill.com/blogs/blog-briefi...um=twitterfeed
glocke12 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:16 PM   #2
NT1440
macrumors G3

Apparently proportionality has no place in your world.

How many people has his company laid off over the years again? Thousands.

Good thing a PR donation is all anyone ever needs in this country, regardless of their leanings, to get a clean slate from the unengaged public.

In short, small good things do not offset decades of ruining lives for fortune.
NT1440 is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:19 PM   #3
Peace
macrumors P6

Luke 21:1-4

1 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury. 2 And He saw a certain poor widow putting in two small copper coins. 3 And He said, 'Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them; 4 for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on. ' NASB
Peace is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:21 PM   #4
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NT1440 View Post
Apparently proportionality has no place in your world.

How many people has his company laid off over the years again? Thousands.

Good thing a PR donation is all anyone ever needs in this country, regardless of their leanings, to get a clean slate from the unengaged public.

In short, small good things do not offset decades of ruining lives for fortune.
sigh...first reply even. I guess nothing any republican does can be looked at positively in this forum.

what does his company laying people off got to do with it? explain to me what obligation a company has to employ people?

PR donation? This wasn't announced in the press, and was not made a big deal of. It does not even look like it was reported until TODAY.

How much money (if any) did Obamas campaign contribute (honest question. I looked, could not find an answer).
glocke12 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:24 PM   #5
niuniu
Banned

This is the standard for donating money if you're wealthy
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...re?INTCMP=SRCH
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:28 PM   #6
glocke12
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by niuniu View Post
This is the standard for donating money if you're wealthy
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...re?INTCMP=SRCH
So. Point is he did something...and overall the guy seems to give alot, 29.4 % according to politico.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0912/81529.html

Romney and his wife, Ann, gave 29.4 percent of their income to charity in 2011

Again...if you are a republican no matter what you do it isnt good enough..good grief..
glocke12 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:30 PM   #7
Kashchei
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to Kashchei Send a message via Yahoo to Kashchei Send a message via Skype™ to Kashchei
Good for Mittens
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:31 PM   #8
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by glocke12 View Post
So. Point is he did something...and overall the guy seems to give alot, 29.4 % according to politico.

Again...if you are a republican no matter what you do it isnt good enough..good grief..
Point is. He did something publicly as attested by your link.

Fact is. Read my previous post.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:33 PM   #9
niuniu
Banned

Quote:

Giving to charity is always good. I was defending Beckham this morning in the midst of huge cynicism over his charity donation.

So good on Romney for his charity, he's still a freakshow.
niuniu is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:40 PM   #10
mcrain
Banned

Quote:
Actually, he gave 29.4% of his AGI. He makes some undisclosed amount of money that is not taxable, and as we know wasn't reported on his federal tax returns. That 29.4% is a great thing, but he often times reduces his tax burden, so in effect, you and I are paying a portion of that "donation" so that he can get a tax break.

That being said, his giving is very generous, and he's probably a pretty good guy. I'm just glad he's not president.
mcrain is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:47 PM   #11
Mac'nCheese
macrumors 68020

Romney doesn't donate tons of money to charity. He gives to his cult/church.

"Finally, there is the question of whom Romney gives his money to. Business Insider ran the numbers: “The answer appears to be primarily one organization: The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints, more commonly known as the Mormon church. According to tax documents viewed by Business Insider, the vast majority of the money Mitt Romney gave away in 2009 and 2010—80 percent of it—went to the church.”

"The same holds true for 2011. As the McClatchy Newspapers noted: “In 2011, the Romney’s charitable cash contributions included $1.115 million to the Mormon church and $214,516 to Tyler Charitable Foundation, a Romney family foundation. The Romneys also claimed a deduction of $920,573 for noncash contributions that were not spelled out in a statement accompanying the return.”

http://www.thenation.com/blog/170105...ous-donations#
Mac'nCheese is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 01:55 PM   #12
Moyank24
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post

"Finally, there is the question of whom Romney gives his money to. Business Insider ran the numbers: “The answer appears to be primarily one organization: The Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter-Day Saints, more commonly known as the Mormon church. According to tax documents viewed by Business Insider, the vast majority of the money Mitt Romney gave away in 2009 and 2010—80 percent of it—went to the church.”

"The same holds true for 2011. As the McClatchy Newspapers noted: “In 2011, the Romney’s charitable cash contributions included $1.115 million to the Mormon church and $214,516 to Tyler Charitable Foundation, a Romney family foundation. The Romneys also claimed a deduction of $920,573 for noncash contributions that were not spelled out in a statement accompanying the return.”

http://www.thenation.com/blog/170105...ous-donations#
Add to that how much LDS has contributed to opposing gay marriage and color me not impressed.

As for the OP, who cares? Anyone can donate money to anything. Doesn't mean they aren't evil, greedy, ignorant, stupid, etc...

And this just isn't for Romney, pick anyone and I would feel the same.
Moyank24 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:09 PM   #13
bradl
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Luke 21:1-4

1 And He looked up and saw the rich putting their gifts into the treasury. 2 And He saw a certain poor widow putting in two small copper coins. 3 And He said, 'Truly I say to you, this poor widow put in more than all of them; 4 for they all out of their surplus put into the offering; but she out of her poverty put in all that she had to live on. ' NASB
I normally don't ever do this because I have my issues with coming to terms with parts of the bible, but QFT. Good catch here.

You know, as much as we've hounded on them, I believe the Romneys are good people. But when you take them and add in the influence of the Mormon church (which on some things they are really good on, a fair number of things they are not), and the Republican political machine, you get a huge ****storm that drowns out the good that the Romneys have.

In short, the Reds screwed over their candidate, and only have themselves to blame for it, as we've said here countless times.

BL.
bradl is online now   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 02:53 PM   #14
hulugu
macrumors 68000

I'd almost think the argument was pointed, but I rubbed my eyes for a second and re-read the post and realized that the OP has successfully beaten up Ray Bolger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrain View Post
Actually, he gave 29.4% of his AGI. He makes some undisclosed amount of money that is not taxable, and as we know wasn't reported on his federal tax returns. That 29.4% is a great thing, but he often times reduces his tax burden, so in effect, you and I are paying a portion of that "donation" so that he can get a tax break.

That being said, his giving is very generous, and he's probably a pretty good guy. I'm just glad he's not president.
Yep. That's about right. He's income and tax burden is hard to get a handle on, so the proportionality argument is hard to make.

That said, it's good that he gave the donation and the Red Cross is a good organization—I give blood often. However, his ability to write a check to the Red Cross doesn't make him a better choice for president and his economic and social policies would have cost us.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:05 PM   #15
FrankieTDouglas
macrumors 65816

Good for him. Good for the Red Cross.

What else would he do with that leftover money?
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:15 PM   #16
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankieTDouglas View Post
Good for him. Good for the Red Cross.

What else would he do with that leftover money?

Maybe pay for his staffers cab rides home on election night?
rdowns is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:17 PM   #17
VulchR
macrumors 68000

I much prefer Obama to Romney, but it is an absolute good that Romney donated to the Red Cross. I would imagine after superstorm Sandy the Red Cross' resources are rather dwindling.

For those who criticized Romney in spite of his donation: please put your money where your mouth is and donate.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:27 PM   #18
rdowns
macrumors Penryn

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post
I much prefer Obama to Romney, but it is an absolute good that Romney donated to the Red Cross. I would imagine after superstorm Sandy the Red Cross' resources are rather dwindling.

For those who criticized Romney in spite of his donation: please put your money where your mouth is and donate.

Romney campaign, not Romney.
rdowns is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:35 PM   #19
niuniu
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VulchR View Post

Regularly put my 'money in my mouth is'.

Romney's still a freakshow and his donation doesn't seem remotely generous to me in light of his wealth.

The American middle class donate most proportionately compared to the rich. The same is true in the UK as I heard today.
http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto....html?page=all

When my partner and I donate, we feel it in our bank balance. But we still make the effort and don't make a big deal of it. The rich don't feel it, so shame on guys like Romney for such a 'small' 90k donation, if you want to get real about the thing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0391.JPG
Views:	13
Size:	2.02 MB
ID:	393969  
niuniu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 03:50 PM   #20
skunk
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
The Romneys also claimed a deduction of $920,573 for noncash contributions that were not spelled out in a statement accompanying the return.
What does this mean? Are these their salaries for running the charity? Nice work if you can get it.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 04:30 PM   #21
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by skunk View Post
What does this mean? Are these their salaries for running the charity? Nice work if you can get it.
Blah probably some kind of structured donation. You can donate many things including stock and other assets. They declared a value for tax purposes. They had to do something with the leftover campaign funding, I'm not sure of the laws surrounding that. I don't think he's a soulless goon or anything simply because I didn't vote for him.
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:33 PM   #22
tshrimp
macrumors 6502

Quote:
sigh...first reply even. I guess nothing any republican does can be looked at positively in this forum.
It took you way to long to figure this out. If a republican paid off the US debt and gave each person one million dollars to do what they wanted... There would be posts about how evil they are. If a democrat gives 2 cents to someone for a sex change operation they are a godsend.

Keep in mind you are on a computer message board and not a "real" political board, so you will not get the same kind of responses here that you might elsewhere. I would suggest a different board if you are wanting a more open minded audience, or just enjoy the responses you get. Posts on this board can lead places you would never dream of.

Last edited by tshrimp; Feb 1, 2013 at 10:40 PM.
tshrimp is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 10:44 PM   #23
zioxide
macrumors 603

What does he want, a ****ing cookie?

Romney donating $90k is like me donating 3 bucks. Good for him but why the hell is this news?
zioxide is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:14 PM   #24
LIVEFRMNYC
macrumors 68030

Here's Romney's TRUE character.

And another.

BTW .... I would love to see who would actually give if you couldn't write charity off taxes.

Last edited by LIVEFRMNYC; Feb 1, 2013 at 11:22 PM.
LIVEFRMNYC is online now   3 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2013, 11:21 PM   #25
Technarchy
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac'nCheese View Post
You might want to check how much the LDS church does for charity every single year.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Mac Community > Community Discussion > Politics, Religion, Social Issues