Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wake8260

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2009
I'm trying to do a manuel back up on my IP5 iOS 6.1 but the back up now button is greyed out. Any ideas on what to do? I've tried going to Files-->Devices but that's also greyed out.

Thanks in advance.

redbotsoftware

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2009
You have to delete the iTunes preferences file. I had the same problem and this worked for me:

I'm running latest iTunes 11.0.2 and it's OSX 10.8.2

Select Finder.
Hold the option button while selecting the Go menu on the top bar.
Holding option brings up the Library in the drop down menu. Select it.(Library)
Open the preferences folder in this Library folder.
Find com.apple.iTunes.plist
(Make sure you quit iTunes)
Now move this file to the trash.
Restart your computer.
Empty out your trash.
Start iTunes again. (Don't worry, it'll automatically make a new preference file.)
Now it'll work.

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
I'm trying to do a manuel back up on my IP5 iOS 6.1 but the back up now button is greyed out. Any ideas on what to do? I've tried going to Files-->Devices but that's also greyed out.

Thanks in advance.

Is your iPhone plugged into the USB port on your computer? It has to be plugged in to back up to iTunes.

If so, I'm not sure what the problem would be.

soundsgoodtome

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2007
Los Angeles
You have to delete the iTunes preferences file. I had the same problem and this worked for me:

Thanks for this. Worked for me, as well.

(P.S. It's not necessary to restart a Mac after deleting an app's preference file. Just be sure the app's not running, delete the preference file, then relaunch the app. It's not unsafe, and restarting adds no benefit.) :)

gasm529

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2013
great

Thanks for the tip, that fixed it. Awesome as I was looking all morning for this fix.

Cheers

Tyler23

macrumors 603
Dec 2, 2010
Atlanta, GA
No way. You have to plug it in the computer?
LMAO:D

Pretty rude. Some people have thought there was a problem since they could sync there phones with iTunes wirelessly, they felt there was an issue that it wasn't letting them back up wirelessly. It happens and on this forum you never know.

Last edited:

chassis

macrumors newbie
Jan 31, 2016

Select Finder.
Restart your computer.
Empty out your trash.
Start iTunes again. (Don't worry, it'll automatically make a new preference file.)
Now it'll work.

Thanks! This solved it. I recently migrated MacBook Airs from a 11" 2011 model to a 2016 11" model and the backup button was greyed out. El Capitan was running on both macbook airs. The iPhone is a 5S with iOS 9.2.1.

AmirShayan

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016

Select Finder.
Restart your computer.
Empty out your trash.
Now it'll work.

YES. You solved my problem. Thank you so much ♥

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
This advice is still good with El Capitan!

OTOH:

WARNING: You should look at your current preferences panes inside of iTunes so that you can easily recreate them after you trash the prefs file!

No restart of Mac was necessary. (I did try simply restarting iTunes before having to resort to this-- which did NOT work.)

The backup will start automatically, so be prepared for that!

So:

1. Make screenshots or notes of which prefs are checked or not. There are several panes in iTunes. (I did not and am unsure about some of the choices!)

2. Quit iTunes.

3. Delete the com.apple.itunes.plist file that's inside your ~/Library/Preferences folder (see earlier directions).

4. Restart iTunes. NOTE: IT WILL START BACKING UP RIGHT AWAY AS THAT IS THE DEFAULT SETTING!!

5. Recheck, uncheck, the various prefs you had set up.

6. Live long and prosper!

Saturn007

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2010
Well, not so fast!

Discovered that it also replaces the device's syncing preferences -- and, even, thinks it's now a new computer to sync to!

Bad, very bad because now I've ended up in iTunes purgatory!

Where, if you select syncing of Info, it wants to merge or replace-- or, if you want to sync Books, movies, etc., it will DELETE everything on your I-device!

Been there before and it's a mess!

monal123

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2018

Select Finder.
Restart your computer.
Empty out your trash.
Now it'll work.

Thank you so much! I literally just made an account on MacRumors to upvote this because this problem was driving me crazy. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.