Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I want to watch netflix usa in canada since the movies available in canada are so little. Is there anyway I can do that? Also, I want to watch movies that are coming from China/HK as well but it says not available outside of china on the QQ app. I was wondering if is there anyway I can bypass this?

upnorth85

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2011
MN, USA
You can connect your laptop to the local network, use VPN based in the US and then your US based IP will let Netflix know that you are based in the US. If you want to see on the iPad then set up a local hotspot from your laptop.
I want to watch netflix usa in canada since the movies available in canada are so little. Is there anyway I can do that? Also, I want to watch movies that are coming from China/HK as well but it says not available outside of china on the QQ app. I was wondering if is there anyway I can bypass this?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
I use a VPN and it works great on all my iOS devices. Turn ON VPN -> get US Netflix, turn Off VPN -> get Canadian Netflix.

I find that even though the US Netflix has way more content, there are still a number of movies that (surprisingly) are on the Canadian and not on the US. Which is why it's so nice being able to quickly toggle between the two services.

hrv888

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 17, 2009
I use a VPN and it works great on all my iOS devices. Turn ON VPN -> get US Netflix, turn Off VPN -> get Canadian Netflix.

I find that even though the US Netflix has way more content, there are still a number of movies that (surprisingly) are on the Canadian and not on the US. Which is why it's so nice being able to quickly toggle between the two services.

How do you do that? Do you do paid services? Like unotelly? or is there other free ones? or can I set my router up? Does it make my internet slower? I don't know much on fiddling with router settings or internet settings. Thanks for the help in advance.

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
How do you do that? Do you do paid services? Like unotelly? or is there other free ones? or can I set my router up? Does it make my internet slower? I don't know much on fiddling with router settings or internet settings. Thanks for the help in advance.

I use a paid VPN service, there are a ton of them out there. The one I use is called Private Internet Access. Once your account is active, you get a username and password and you can then set up a VPN on any iOS device, no need to do anything with your router. It takes seconds. Speed is unaffected but that depends on which server you choose to use and not all VPNs are equal. You kinda get what you pay for, at least that's what I've experienced.

iBrody

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2008
I use Unblock-US which changes the DNS settings, you can either change the settings on each device or your router (router would make every computer and device pickup the US content)..

Personally I change the DNS settings from Unblock-US for just my ATV and keep the default UK settings on my other devices and computers, minimising security risk, and also, I can watch the UK Netflix on everything else and keep the US Netflix for the big screen without hassle of amending te settings to switch between countries each time I want to watch something from the UK Netflix.

flipnap

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
i was watching netflix in germany using a vpn. i went with astrill, as it was very simple to configure.

Cjodor

macrumors newbie
Feb 19, 2013
DNS better than VPN

I personally recomend UnoDNS (Unotelly). After 6 months using Hidemyass to bypass Netflix local restrictions, UnoDNS is much faster and flexible, allowing choosing different countries for each channel you want to see.

S

syd430

Move right near the border and pick up your American neighbors wi-fi

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.